Who has been the best quarterback in the B1G in their last 4 games?

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
I was curious to see how the Big Ten Quarterbacks have done in the last month, so I looked up the last 4 games that these quarterbacks have played in and logged their stats. It's pretty tight amongst the top, but I don't think anyone can argue that Braxton Miller and Phillip Nelson are not solidly in the top 2. I give Nelson the edge!

Philip Nelson:
748 Passing Yards, 7 Passing Touchdowns, 0 Interceptions, 179.8 Passer Rating
132 Rushing Yards, 3 Rushing Touchdowns

Braxton Miller:
910 Passing Yards, 9 Passing Touchdowns, 2 Interceptions, 177.9 Passer Rating
245 Rushing Yards, 2 Rushing Touchdowns

Devin Gardner:
1149 Passing Yards, 6 Passing Touchdowns, 3 Interceptions, 159.3 Passer Rating
124 Rushing Yards, 3 Rushing Touchdowns

Connor Cooke:
802 Passing Yards, 6 Passing Touchdowns, 2 Interceptions, 156.2 Passer Rating
27 Rushing Yards, 1 Rushing Touchdown

Joel Stave:
770 Passing Yards, 8 Passing Touchdowns, 4 Interceptions, 152.6 Passer Rating
-3 Rushing Yards, 0 Rushing Touchdowns

Nate Sudfeld:
715 Passing Yards, 6 Passing Touchdowns, 2 Interceptions, 137.9 Passer Rating
-23 Rushing Yards, 0 Rushing Touchdowns

Kain Colter:
284 Passing Yards, 1 Passing Touchdowns, 1 Interceptions, 131.9 Passer Rating
172 Rushing Yards, 1 Rushing Touchdown

Jake Rudock:
714 Passing Yards, 6 Passing Touchdowns, 3 Interceptions, 130.1 Passer Rating
49 Rushing Yards, 0 Rushing Touchdowns

Nathan Scheelhaase:
1123 Passing Yards, 3 Passing Touchdowns, 4 Interceptions, 125.1 Passer Rating
109 Rushing Yards, 2 Rushing Touchdowns

Christian Hackenberg:
820 Passing Yards, 5 Passing Touchdowns, 4 Interceptions, 115.1 Passer Rating
-33 Rushing Yards, 2 Rushing Touchdowns

Trevor Siemian:
678 Passing Yards, 3 Passing Touchdowns, 4 Interceptions, 106.2 Passer Rating
-39 Rushing Yards, 0 Rushing Touchdowns

I think he's the leader of the team, too. At least on O. He'll have to step up his game even a bit more against Wisconsin and if we protect him well I think he has it in him.

Wow, that is impressive. Thanks for putting those stats together.

Love his development this year. I like Leidner too but I admit I was a little bit uptight when he was getting the bulk of the snaps earlier in the year. I just felt that Nelson was destined to be better than what he had been showing and if Leidner was better than average, it might be tough for Nelson to regain his spot and continue his on-field development. This was compounded by the fact he is a sophomore and Leidner is a RS frosh. Now the stars are aligning. Nelson has a chance to be special, and Leidner is developing into an effective backup with the opportunity to have a full year of his own as a starter in three years.

Nicely done, afurry91. Thanks for taking the time to put that all together! Very interesting to see!

Another interesting note, looks like he has accounted for the second most TD's on that list as well!

I think Braxton only has 9 passing TD's the last four games.

Nice post and Nelson is doing great, developing very nicely and I feel good about our QB position for the next two years. That said, not really fair as you have to look at who they played and how much they have played. What I mean by the second part of that is the Nelson did not play the full game in 3 of the last 4. This may have either helped or hurt his numbers. Most impressive is the zero interceptions (and I believe zero fumbles depending on if it was him or Jones last week).

You are obviously biased. Me too. Good job! Did the media publish a preseason all-B1G team? Who are 1st & 2nd team all-B1G QBs if season ended today?

Nice post and Nelson is doing great, developing very nicely and I feel good about our QB position for the next two years. That said, not really fair as you have to look at who they played and how much they have played. What I mean by the second part of that is the Nelson did not play the full game in 3 of the last 4. This may have either helped or hurt his numbers. Most impressive is the zero interceptions (and I believe zero fumbles depending on if it was him or Jones last week).

Miller: @Purdue, Iowa, Penn State, @Northwestern (Combined Record: 16-21)
Gardner: Nebraska, @MSU, Indiana, @Penn State (Combined Record: 24-12)
Sudfeld: Illinois, Minnesota, @Michigan, @Michigan State (Combined Record: 25-12)
Stave: BYU, @Iowa, @Illinois, Northwestern (Combined Record: 19-18)
Nelson: Penn State, @Indiana, Nebraska, @Northwestern (Combined Record: 20-16)

So Nelson didn't have the hardest schedule in the world, but he certainly didn't play a bunch of patsies. If you factor in SOS, you could say Gardner has been great but then you watch their offense against Nebraska at home and you think "not so much."

Miller: @Purdue, Iowa, Penn State, @Northwestern (Combined Record: 16-21)
Gardner: Nebraska, @MSU, Indiana, @Penn State (Combined Record: 24-12)
Sudfeld: Illinois, Minnesota, @Michigan, @Michigan State (Combined Record: 25-12)
Stave: BYU, @Iowa, @Illinois, Northwestern (Combined Record: 19-18)
Nelson: Penn State, @Indiana, Nebraska, @Northwestern (Combined Record: 20-16)

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I used the numbers for 2012. Was wondering why Nebraska was ranked as #1 in Pass Defense. I'll update in another reply with national rankings instead so as to include BYU properly.

So I actually used the Passing Defense ranking according to the B1G which is based on yards allowed which admittedly is not a very good metric. I plugged BYU in there where they should be (basically tied exactly with Indiana) to round out UWs schedule.

Wouldn't it have just been easier to include all the teams' national rankings?

It sort of cuts both ways. In including national rankings you may get a better perspective of strength of the defense insofar as the spacing would be greater between teams (The difference between Nebraska and NW would be greater than simply 11 spots). However, to a certain extent, this could unfairly punish some teams that played against aerial attacks in the OOC season (basically those teams could be bumped down 25 slots in a national ranking but may only move down 2 spots in B1G rankings). While the absolute averages used to calculate it (the average passing yards) are the exact same because we're comparing 12 B1G teams and only 1 OOC team I just felt like limiting the downside was the more accurate method.

Also: Didn't really feel like scanning through 123 FBS teams to find the 13 teams I needed (I'm lazy).

As I mentioned I was an idiot and used the B1G 2012 rankings. Instead, per your suggestion, I used the NCAA 2013 rankings. Below are the averages with the worst and best ranked defense faced in that time period just for reference.

Miller: 53 (Worst: 98 Best: 12 )
Gardner: 56 (Worst: 119 Best: 3)
Sudfeld: 63.75 (Worst: 90 Best: 3)
Stave: 67.25 (Worst: 98 Best: 12)
Nelson: 79.25 (Worst: 119 Best: 34)

So what this tells me is that playing Indiana kills your ranking (119) while you're greatly benefited from playing Michigan State, Iowa and Wisconsin from an averages perspective. Obviously the inverse is generally true for your actual performance numbers.

If you take out each teams worst opponent the averages are such:

Miller: 38
Gardner: 35
Sudfeld: 55
Stave: 57
Nelson: 66.667

If you take out each teams worst opponent the averages are such:

Miller: 38
Gardner: 35
Sudfeld: 55
Stave: 57
Nelson: 66.667

This is basically why I am not confident going against WI & MSU. Yes we have won 4 straight...but it hasn't been against the top defenses in the B1G. Winning one of the last two would be a huge statement as to how good we are. That said, short of winning the last two, it wont matter...we will get screwed come bowl selection time.

Top Bottom