Who are the new recruits?...

cncmin

Reaction score
anyone know anything about them? What is Brewster looking for most in the class of 2010?

I'm not sure what exactly Brew is looking for with the class of 2010, but several names have popped to the surface recently in terms of recruiting

Obviously, our first priority (and probably second, third and fourth for that matter!!!!:p) is Seantrel Henderson. All the recruiting sites are going bonkers over this kid's abilities and based on the film I have seen of him both in basketball and football, he is an absolutely freakish athlete for a kid 6-8 and 300+ pounds. You just don't see high school athletes with both the size and athleticism he has. It's going to be a tough battle recruiting him because he's going to have his pick of schools, but everything that's been said so far in regards to where the Gophers sit with him has been favorable, so that's a positive.

Beau Allen, a 6-4, 280 lb defensive tackle from Minnetonka is also a big-time priority. Like Henderson, he's getting a lot of attention on the national level. Has a really strong lower body based on what I saw on some of his films.

Jimmy Gjere is a 6-7, 280 lb OL from Irondale. He's kind a sleeper in the class and most folks think he'll end up a Gopher from what I can tell. He recently received an offer from Ohio State, so the kid can play. Hopefully, Brew can get him to commit in the early going.

Tobi Okuyemi is a defensive end from Wayzata who is also starting to get noticed nationally, along with his teammate, linebacker A.J. Tarpley. There are also some other "area" kids that are getting noticed, like Hudson OL Sam Cunningham and Kenosha OL Zac Epping.

Nationally, the Gophers seem to like a few other kids as well. Texas running back Ben Malena has caught their eye and recently named Texas A&M his leader, but it's still early in the process obviously. There are also three Dallas Skyline kids the Gophers like, but it's going to be tough to land any of them imo. But, it never hurts to give it a try.

At receiver, the Gophers have targeted a player of note in Hasan Lipscomb's teammate Kevin Johnson from Cy Ridge in Houston. Johnson has some big schools after him, but hopefully the connection with Hasan will pay dividends. They are also after a pair of really tall receivers out of Illinois in 6-6 Matt Milton and 6-5 Kyle Prater. I've seen film on Prater and he looks like the real deal. Tall, fast and very athletic. Looks like a future stud to me, so hopefully we'll be able to stay in it although it seems like other schools are noticing him as well.

On the defensive line, along with Allen, the Gophers seem to be high on Jibreel Black out of Ohio.

At DB, they have a bunch of players in mind, although if by some miracle they can stay in the hunt for California safety Sean Parker, it would be awesome. But, that's a bit of a long shot, so they have an extensive list of about 10-15 extra players that they're considering.

It's still too early to tell on alot of these guys, but, I hope this helps at least somewhat!!!:)

Brew is looking for Speed Speed Speed.

MRJ - awesome summary!

Brew sounds like he knows what he's doing on the recruiting front, and the last 2 years, IMO, have proven that. These Minnesota kids are especially exciting, because it sounds like a great in-state class and if Minnesota football is to succeed, IMO, we need the in-state players that have possibly/probably bled maroon and gold for some time.

Only two other guys I'd mention are OL Matt Eggen from LaCrosse and RB/LB Lamonte Edwards from Woodbury.

These are the out of state guys I was able to find information on saying that they hold an offer from minnesota.
ATH-Dominique Sanders
ATH-Manasseh Garner
OG-Grant Ramsay
OG-Josh Allen
OT-Zach Epping
CB-Tyler Stephenson
CB-Elisha Olabode
CB-Jabari Price
DB-Sean Parker
DB-Cullen Christian
DB-Dontae Johnson
DL-Jibreel Black
DE-Ken Wilkins
DE-Marcus Rush
WR-Kevin Johnson
WR-Mike Davis
WR-Kyle Prater
WR-Matt Milton
WR-Keith Sconiers
WR-Dyjuan Lewis
RB-Ben Malena
LB-Dominique Patterson

MRJ - awesome summary!

Brew sounds like he knows what he's doing on the recruiting front, and the last 2 years, IMO, have proven that. These Minnesota kids are especially exciting, because it sounds like a great in-state class and if Minnesota football is to succeed, IMO, we need the in-state players that have possibly/probably bled maroon and gold for some time.

Could not agree more. This looks like an especially deep Minnesota High School class and the more players we can keep in-state, the better. I'm sure that there will also be additional names popping up both within the state and nationally.

Personally, I'd be ecstatic with Henderson, Allen, Gjere, Okuyemi and a few of the out of state kids as well. We're off to a good start in having received a commitment from Wisconsin LB Konrad Zagzebski out of D.C. Everest HS in Schofield near Stevens Point. Another sleeper in my eyes is running back Joel Baumann, who has put up some absolutely ridiculous numbers in high school and is being targeted by some big schools like Alabama, Oregon, UCLA and the Badgers.

I'd like to think we've got a good shot at him as well. But again, there's a LONG way to go with all of these players. We just need to stick with each of them and knowing Brewster's love for recruiting, I'm sure he'll do just that!!!!!:)

Joel Baumann, who has put up some absolutely ridiculous numbers in high school and is being targeted by some big schools like Alabama, Oregon, UCLA and the Badgers.

Are you sure those schools are looking at him?? Seems like a pretty big stretch.

Well, those are the ones that are listed on both Rivals and ESPN, so unless there's something going on that either they don't know about, yeah, I would think those are the schools that are looking at him.

I realize that could be wrong, but we'll have to see where his recruitment goes from here and who stays interested as next year wears on.

I Don't Think So....

Are you sure those schools are looking at him?? Seems like a pretty big stretch.

I know the Baumann kid gets a lot of puffing on this site, but we need to be realistic here. There is a huge gap between Minnesota small school football and the large metro schools. If he comes to camp at MN this summer, the staff will make an honest assessment. He may end up as a wrestler, an individual sport where gap is not so large.

I know the Baumann kid gets a lot of puffing on this site, but we need to be realistic here. There is a huge gap between Minnesota small school football and the large metro schools. If he comes to camp at MN this summer, the staff will make an honest assessment. He may end up as a wrestler, an individual sport where gap is not so large.

I completely agree with this as well, which is why I am curious to see where things with Bauman go from here. He looks like he's got some nice size and I would guess that's he's pretty strong physically. Does that mean he's a Big Ten caliber back?? I'm not sure.

Still a long way to go and a lot to prove from my standpoint. I guess the word I would use to describe my personal interest in him would be "intrigued."

I completely agree with this as well, which is why I am curious to see where things with Bauman go from here. He looks like he's got some nice size and I would guess that's he's pretty strong physically. Does that mean he's a Big Ten caliber back?? I'm not sure.

Still a long way to go and a lot to prove from my standpoint. I guess the word I would use to describe my personal interest in him would be "intrigued."
Maybe outside linebacker? Having been around the wreslting world for a number of years I maintain that a kid that can compete on a national level can compete in D1 football given they have the size. Small school kids don't have the level of coaching in either football or wrestling so it sometimes comes down to natural ablility and the ability to adapt to the level of competition. Bauman has done that on a national level in wrestling. Someone will take him as an athlete and find a position for him.
________
CHEAP VAPORIZER

Top Bottom