Which will come first a 2012 commitment or a 2013 commitment?

EG#9

Reaction score
With the Gophers offering 2013 guard Matt Thomas and forward Kyle Washington, is it possible we see a commitment from a 2013 kid before a 2012 kid? It seems like the the Gophers have been on Thomas for a long time in comparison to most of their recruiting efforts in recent years.

Vaughn is a 2014 kid, so I would think his recruitment would have a ways to go.

Regarding Kyle Washington, he now has offers from UW, Minnesota, Penn St., Iowa St. and Marquette, all of which are essentially midwest schools. If his recruitment were to end today, I would guess that he would be a Badger. However, I will be interested to see if/how Kyle's recruitment changes with his upcoming move to the east coast and the attention he will presumably get a pretty good prep school.

I had a chance to watch Matt Thomas and the Playmakers 16U squad in the Dells yesterday. Here is what I posted on the UW board about it:

"I have been an advocate of Matt Thomas, and he did little to dissuade me yesterday, despite one of his games be sub-par. I am of the opinion that UW should make an offer to Thomas and take him as one of the (presumably) two guards they will take with their four available scholarships. The second game I saw yesterday was the 16U Playmakers (playing up in the 17U division) against a decent, but very physical, Wisconsin Blizzard team, which I believe is from the Fox Valley area. Carmody, Jeter and Close all stuck around for this game, and Buzz Williams showed up just before tip off. He and Carmody were in a corner away from all the other college coaches chatting throughout the game. This was a physical game both ways, especially defensively by the Blizzard, which resulted in a low-scoring game (Playmakers won 49-46). The Playmakers had control for much of the game, but the Blizzard made a run late in the second and actually took the lead down the stretch. Thomas then slammed the door. With just under 5 minutes to go, the Blizzard were up 39-37. A ball screen was set for Thomas, but he went away from it, creating a little space from the defender, and drilled a 3 before his man could recover. On the next possession, the used the ball screen to get in the lane and hit a 10’ floater before their big man could get there. On the next possession, he nailed a 23’ pull up right over his man. Finally, with about 20 seconds to go, he made both ends of a 1-and-1 to push the lead to 3. I had him for 23 of the Playmakers 49 points, on 7-12 shooting (3-6 from downtown) from the floor and 6-8 from the line. Certainly a strong finish for him, but he was also solid throughout. I was pretty impressed a couple times when Matt got out of the break and made really nice moves to beat an individual defender in transition. One time he got to the line, the other he got around the guy for a layup.

In their second game on Friday, the Playmakers played a team from East Troy, which I believe is primarily the East Troy HS team. They have a very nice team, despite missing Tanner Plumb who was with the Wisconsin Playground Warriors in Kansas City. The Playmakers grabbed control of this game right away (32-24 lead at halftime), then blew it open in the second on some excellent shooting for a 72-51 win. I don’t think Thomas led the way in scoring in this one, but he was very efficient with 15 points on 6-9 shooting (3-5 from downtown). The one hoop that really stuck out was a sweet lefty finish in a clear out situation right before the half. He beat his man off the dribble, then was able to make a little lefty floater with a defender contesting. The best thing Matt did in this game was his passing. He played a decent amount of PG in this one, and was able to get in the lane a number of times to set up a teammate for a layup. There were also a couple occasions where he caught it on the perimeter, made a move toward to hoop to draw more attention, then rotated it to a teammate for a wide open 3."

If we are referring to Tyler Vaughan of Braham, he is a 2012.

Top Bottom