Which red-shirts from the class of 2012 are going to contribute next year?

Killjoy

Reaction score
The following are the members of the class of 2012 who did not lose their red-shirts this past year (Please note: (1.) The ten bolded players are on scholarship. (2.) One transfer player, i.e Brian Bobek will also be eligible to play this fall. (3.) There are nine new walk-ons this past fall who did not lose their red-shirts. (4.) Jamel Harbison should receive a medical waiver for the past season and thus will be a freshman this fall. (5.) Positions assigned to the players are only my guesstimate and are certainly subject to change.

Mitch Leidner (QB)
Duke Anyanwu (HB)
Jamel Harbison (Slot)
John McKelvey (Slot)
Edward Sardinha (WR)
Maxx Williams (TE)
Jonah Pirsig (OT)
Ben Lauer (OT)
Augustine Pupungatoa (OL)
Isaac Hayes (C)
Tyler Hartmann (DE)
Jackson Miller (DE)
Yoshoub Timms (DT)
Jack Lynn (LB)
Nick Rallis (LB)
Cedric Dicke (DB)
Ben Holcomb (DB)
Covante Johnson (DB)
Kyle Fodness (K)
Brian Bobek (C)

My question is which of these players are likely to contribute next year and which three are you most excited about?

I think Maxx Williams will play a good amount as well.

I'm most excited about Bobek, Pirsig, and Hayes.

However Bobek probably will be the only one seeing the field next year.

I've actually heard some good things about Yoshoub Timms, I doubt that he starts but he could work his way into the rotation at DT.

I am looking forward to see what Williams and Duke will bring to the field next year. Both were athletic enough to play QB in high school. Both have good size at 6'4 235 and 6'4 230. I wouldn't be suprised if one ends up on the defensive side of the ball.

Never really thought about this, or don't know if it would've come to it, but I'm glad we kept redshirts on Pirsig and Isaac Hayes.

Unless we pick up a JC QB or decide not to redshirt Streveler, Leidner will have to play.

If Pirsig and Hayes play any meaningful amount of snaps next year we will be in deep trouble. I think Harbison and Maxx Williams will see significant contributions.

Bobek, Williams and Harbison will get regular playing time IMO. If Pirsig is really good he might push Ed Olson who is always hurt and not exceptional when healthy. There are a lot of OL on this team but none who are outstanding. Bush, Bjorkland, Tommy Olson and the twins are players who have a chance to make their mark. If Anyanwu has a defensive temperment he should bulk up and move to DE.

The most important name on that list is Harbision because our WR corps needs playmakers and he looked ok in the limited amount of time we got to see him before he got hurt. Question of course is does he come back healthy or like Marcus Jones does he come back a different player than the one that got hurt.

Outside of him probably need to hope to get something out of the LB's because that unit looks pretty bleak and as mentioned with the amount we run the QB good chance Leidner will have to play at some point next year. Unless he blows them away in camp I got to think the staff really really wants to redshirt Streveler next year from a depth and eligibility standpoint. However as was the case with Nelson if it comes down to needing him to win games I don't think they will hesitate to pull his readshirt the same way they did Nelson's.

If Pirsig and Hayes play any meaningful amount of snaps next year we will be in deep trouble. I think Harbison and Maxx Williams will see significant contributions.

Disagree on Pirsig and Hayes. I love it that we have two highly regarded O-lineman who were able to red-shirt and we don't need them to start next year. If they start, it's because they are that good.

Harbision, Williams and definently Bobek, although injuries happen so I'd expect to see Liedner, Pirsig and Hayes at times next year

Disagree on Pirsig and Hayes. I love it that we have two highly regarded O-lineman who were able to red-shirt and we don't need them to start next year. If they start, it's because they are that good.

+1

Hayes has a really decent chance at seeing some PT. I'm not sure what we can expect out of Mottla (because of injury)...then Hayes will be competing with Bjorklund and some walk-ons (Christenson and Bak) for PT behind those starters (I'm assuming he'll back up both the C and G position).

Pirsig is another guy that seemed to be pretty close to the 2-deep. I hope we don't need anything out of him because he'll only be a FR. But we aren't THAT deep at OT. E. Olson, Bush, Lenkiawicz and Campion....I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that that Pirsig outplays Bush (picked a name at random) to break into the 2 deeps.

A name I think is missing is Murray, who will be playing quite a bit next year, especially if one of the safeties doesn't transation to boundary corner.

Question?? How many of you prognisticators, have been to enough practices to watch these kids??? Or are you going by hearsay and news reports??

Bob_Loblaw

Hayes has a really decent chance at seeing some PT. I'm not sure what we can expect out of Mottla (because of injury)...then Hayes will be competing with Bjorklund and some walk-ons (Christenson and Bak) for PT behind those starters (I'm assuming he'll back up both the C and G position).

Pirsig is another guy that seemed to be pretty close to the 2-deep. I hope we don't need anything out of him because he'll only be a FR. But we aren't THAT deep at OT. E. Olson, Bush, Lenkiawicz and Campion....I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that that Pirsig outplays Bush (picked a name at random) to break into the 2 deeps.

A name I think is missing is Murray, who will be playing quite a bit next year, especially if one of the safeties doesn't transation to boundary corner.

I know you follow Gopher football closely so I was surprised that when you were discussing the center position above you neglected to talk about Brian Bobek. Was that just an oversight or don't you see him in the mix next year?

I know you follow Gopher football closely so I was surprised that when you were discussing the center position above you neglected to talk about Brian Bobek. Was that just an oversight or don't you see him in the mix next year?

Good catch, I forgot to write him in, I put him in the list on my first post on this thread. But yeah, you're right, I assume the starting interior will be:
Olson / Bobek / Epping
-And I think Hayes will be fighting with Christenson and Bak for PT behind those guys.

Question?? How many of you prognisticators, have been to enough practices to watch these kids??? Or are you going by hearsay and news reports??

Well, they are just educated guesses, for me.

I saw those guys play in HS and I've seen the guys that we have. I also went to some practices in the summer and you can sort of read between the lines with Coach Kill with Sid. He made references to wanting to pull Pirsig's RS, which would make you think that he was close to the 2 deeps.

Hayes, it's a matter of looking at the roster. Unfortunately, it looks like Mottla won't be around next year (injury) and then when you look at the roster, it's essentially two walk ons (good walk ons) in Christensen and Bak. So for me, with Hayes, it's a combo of seeing him play a bit and knowing what we have. So more of a guess with no inside info.

Bobek....it's his time at tOSU.

Murray....looking at the depth chart. We are graduating 2 SR CBs.

Leidner thing, I am sure people are just looking at the depth chart. Shortell and Gray are gone...

Lynn.....again, look at the depth chart, we are graduating Rallis, Reeves, Grant, Cooper

Williams and Anyanwu ....again, it's a combo thing. We are losing Rabe and we lose a lot of different TE's and H-Backs. Most of us have heard good things about Williams and I've seen Anyanwu play in HS (was impressed). So for me, it was more of an educated guess.

Essentially, I am sure everyone else did the same thing. They prognosticated on who they thought would be most likely to contribute based on a combo of things....what you know about the player, what they've heard about the player, looking at the depth chart and the horses' mouth (Kill's own words).

Bob, that is a full and truthfull answer, I like and respect your response. Thank You

Bob breaks it down nicely. The only thing I disagree with is the assumption of Tommy Olson starting on the interior. Unless he never got healthy he seemed to lose his spot.

Top Bottom