Which game tonight will have higher ratings?

maroonfive

Reaction score
Michigan State/Wisconsin or Oklahoma/Oklahoma State?

Went to the Nebraska board on Rivals to glean some insights on their perspective regarding this ... and maybe their 'take' on the first year in the conference. In my opinion, they seemed far more interested in the OU/OSU game. On the basis of dollars and cents, the invitation was probably a prudent move; however, I am not sold on NU as a Big Ten school as a cultural fit. A surprisingly high number of their fans bashed the B10 for having a "boring brand of football." I've always been comfortable making water-cooler talk or networking with fellow alumni and fans of conference schools; Nebraska fans seem different though.

OSU/OU will have a better number because they successfully branded this game as the Big XII Championship. There remained the imaginary hope that the winner could leap-frog Alabama. But LSU or Alabama would murder either one of those teams.

The Big XII had a history of struggling in the BCS. And they have lost 4 of their 8 strongest programs. The Big East has no chance of keeping their AQ. But all this talk of nuking the current BCS system is very likely the result of the SEC, ACC, B1G, and Pac12 finding a way to part-ways with both the Big East and the Big12.

I understand it when an idiot from Tuscaloosa or Tallahassee gets confused about what is the most watched and most profitable conference in college football...but why do some on here still get confused. The B1G is the top conference in the nation for academics(exclude Ivy), for alumni, for TV ratings and for $$$$. That is why when it comes time for realignment, BCS changes and TV contracts...they all follow the leader. The B1G Championship game will win it's time slot, the B1G bowl games will have the highest cumulative viewership and the I think the best match-up this bowl season is MSU-GA followed closely by MI-VaTech and Sconnie-Oregon. All better than a rematch or Bama-LSU IMO. And with the exception of Purdue-West MI, I think all 9 B1G bowl games will be interesting and should be great to watch.

I don't care to watch LSU/Alabama 2, but there is really no question that those are the two best teams. Oklahoma St. had a terrible loss to Iowa St., and Stanford lost by 2 touchdowns to Oregon, a team that lost to LSU by 13 points. The SEC has been the elite conference in football for the last 5+ years. Sorry to break up the B1G "pride" parade, but when your conference has won the last 6 national championships (including this years), there's really no debate needed.

I don't care to watch LSU/Alabama 2, but there is really no question that those are the two best teams. Oklahoma St. had a terrible loss to Iowa St., and Stanford lost by 2 touchdowns to Oregon, a team that lost to LSU by 13 points. The SEC has been the elite conference in football for the last 5+ years. Sorry to break up the B1G "pride" parade, but when your conference has won the last 6 national championships (including this years), there's really no debate needed.

Just browsed the thread and your post is puzzling. I'm not sure what you're responding to, but nobody here argued that the SEC didn't have the two best football teams in the country right now.

All that's been stated is that the B1G is what GopherinPhilly laid out well: the B1G draws the most viewers and has the best academics, most alumni, and highest revenue of any conference. That in no way contradicts the SEC having the best top tier football programs in the country.

Just browsed the thread and your post is puzzling. I'm not sure what you're responding to, but nobody here argued that the SEC didn't have the two best football teams in the country right now.

All that's been stated is that the B1G is what GopherinPhilly laid out well: the B1G draws the most viewers and has the best academics, most alumni, and highest revenue of any conference. That in no way contradicts the SEC having the best top tier football programs in the country.

Sorry if I misinterpreted it, but these statements made it sound otherwise:
The B1G Championship game will win it's time slot, the B1G bowl games will have the highest cumulative viewership and the I think the best match-up this bowl season is MSU-GA followed closely by MI-VaTech and Sconnie-Oregon. All better than a rematch or Bama-LSU IMO. And with the exception of Purdue-West MI, I think all 9 B1G bowl games will be interesting and should be great to watch.

I don't know how they determine the ratings, but the Big 12 game was a first-round TKO. The B1G game went all twelve rounds.

OSU/OU will have a better number because they successfully branded this game as the Big XII Championship. There remained the imaginary hope that the winner could leap-frog Alabama.

I'm quite certain that no one labored under the illusion that Oklahoma had any chance whatsoever at the national title game going into this weekend.

Sorry if I misinterpreted it, but these statements made it sound otherwise:
The B1G Championship game will win it's time slot, the B1G bowl games will have the highest cumulative viewership and the I think the best match-up this bowl season is MSU-GA followed closely by MI-VaTech and Sconnie-Oregon. All better than a rematch or Bama-LSU IMO. And with the exception of Purdue-West MI, I think all 9 B1G bowl games will be interesting and should be great to watch.

There's a difference between saying Game X will be better, more interesting, or more heavily viewed than Game Y and saying that the teams in Game X are better than the teams in Game Y. Read those comments again. Nobody said LSU and Bama weren't the two best teams...at least not in this thread.

I figured I should post again on this thread an aknowledge how wrong I was. The inagural Big Ten game was more compelling to people than I thought it would be. I figured people would tune-out because it is a new product, and neither conference could claim any sort of National Championship buzz. Also, it did not include any of the leagues 4 biggest TV draws.

Having a long history of being critical of the BigXII and its business model, even I underestimated what a kick to the nuts the Big XII really took over the last couple years. If the BigXII can't get back to 12 teams and restore their CCG, the teams in this conference will continue to suffer in relevance. OK State really could have used one more game (probably against Nebraska or Kansas State). That probably wouldn't have been enough to recover from losing to ISU, but it would have helped a lot.

I may be stating the obvious, but these CCGs just became too huge to ignore over the last 10 years. They have nearly become a week-after-Thanksgiving tradition similar to what New Years Day Bowl Games were to our fathers' and grandfathers' generations. With two CCGs creating a "semi-finals" to the Rose Bowl, this is really the closest FBS has ever come to a playoffs. This Big Ten Championship Game is just going to keep getting bigger.

Top Bottom