Reaction score
MV has a good article on what we can expect: http://www.fringebowlteamblog.com/

He breaks it into different categories:

Virtual locks to play right away: Harbison, McDonald

Probably going to play: Maye

May play: Murray

Probably not but you never know: Travis, Johnson, Ekpe, Williams, Plsek, Keith

Virtual locks to redshirt: everyone else

Unless they get injured sometime between now and the 30th Harbison and McDonald will play. I could see McDonald starting sooner rather than later.

Maye is as exciting to watch as Jones was last year. I really don’t know how you keep him off the field.

I wish we were at that stage of shirting most freshman, but it will probably take a while for our program?

Unless they get injured sometime between now and the 30th Harbison and McDonald will play. I could see McDonald starting sooner rather than later.

In Kill's system, there are no real "starters" in the offensive and defensive skill positions, only "majority of plays". McDonald will see at least a lot of snaps.

In Kill's system, there are no real "starters" in the offensive and defensive skill positions, only "majority of plays". McDonald will see at least a lot of snaps.

Please quit with this. Yes, many guys will play, it happens on every team. At UNLV, there will be 11 guys who run out for offense and 11 that run out for defense to start the game. Those players, by definition, are the "starters."

Certainly MV's list accurately reflects what Kill has said about which of the incoming freshmen may play this fall. Like MV, I have also heard coach Kill say that Keith, Travis, Johnson, Williams and Plsek could contribute. I have also heard coach Kill has often say that if you are the best player you will play. Therefore if any of the above players are able to rise to the top (first or second string?) it is very likely he will see playing time. The chances are that one will but which one I have no idea.

Please quit with this. Yes, many guys will play, it happens on every team. At UNLV, there will be 11 guys who run out for offense and 11 that run out for defense to start the game. Those players, by definition, are the "starters."

John - Not to make a too big a thing of this but Kill has said several times that he views first string and second string as names written on a piece of paper. Of course we all know that is not totally true but what coach Kill is pointing to is that whether you are first string or second string you are still going to probably play a lot. This is very much part of Kill's DNA and is also one of the reasons why having depth is so important to Kill.

As far as starters, I think it's more accurate to list about 15 players because it depends upon formation.

I know Mike Henry is our 1st string FB and I wouldn't be shocked to see him play on the first play of a particular game. It's also tough because I wouldn't be surprised to see two TE's, 4 receivers, etc. It really depends upon formation.

As to the main point. . .

Murray - I really think Kill is going to try to keep him off the field and RS this season. There just isn't a ton of PT available with Stoud, Carter, Shabazz, Balthazar, Boddy. If Murray is really one of the three best or there are injuries, that could change. But I think he RS.

Thanks for the link. MV does a great job on that blog.

I thought Ekpe was a lock to see action, especially after reading how well he did at spring practice and how he had developed physically, but in another blog entry over at FBT, I see where Legania is healthy and ready to contribute, which would certainly lessen the need for Ekpe to see the field right away.

I may be in the minority on this, but I would like to see a guy like KJ Maye actually redshirt.

Top Bottom