Which Freshmen Will Have the Biggest Impact in 2015?

John Galt

Reaction score
Good read from TDG: http://www.thedailygopher.com/2015/...5-which-freshman-will-have-the-biggest-impact

Typically an established Big Ten program does not rely on freshman contributing. Somewhat surprisingly even after a few years of Jerry Kill building a program that has more depth and balance, the Gophers still have been getting more snaps out of freshman than I would have imagined at this point of the Kill Era. Some of this is due to injury and some is just because these kids have earned the right to play.

In 2014 you saw four true freshmen who participated in at least 12 of the team's 13 games. Steven Richardson was the leader of the pack starting 12 games and making an impact with 6 tackles for loss, 2 sacks and a forced fumble. Impressive for an "undersized" defensive tackle who was lightly recruited having only offers from MAC schools. Craig James also played meaningful snaps, Andrew Stetler was thrust into action as injuries mounted and Gaelin Elmore was also a pleasant surprise along the defensive line getting snaps in 13 games while starting 1.

This begs the question...what freshmen will have the biggest impact on the 2015 season?

Redshirt Freshmen

So often the opportunity to contribute and stand out comes down to opportunity. Demry Croft is coming in as a true freshman quarterback, it is highly unlikely that he will be getting very many (read not any) snaps because of a certain junior and redshirt sophomore ahead of him on the depth chart. This year I suspect a redshirt freshman or two (or three) will have a bigger impact than any true freshman. This stems from positional opportunity as much as anything else. The largest opportunities are clearly on the offensive side of the ball, starting at wide receiver.

•Melvin Holland Jr
•Isaiah Gentry
•Desmond Gant
•Jerry Gibson

Remember these names and quickly learn their numbers because these four all stand a great chance to earn playing time at receiver. Throughout last season this group of redshirters earned praise from practice and much is expected of them if our passing offense is going to take a step forward. Personally I am most excited about Holland Jr, but Gentry and Gibson have also received plenty of notoriety. Having one or two who are capable of earning valuable playing time this season and making plays in the Big Ten would be a huge boost to the offense.

But there is another skill position that needs to be discussed with potential breakout freshmen and that is a group of players tasked with replacing David Cobb at running back.

•Jeff Jones
•Rodney Smith

Jeff Jones is the headlining name here and perhaps the one who can step on to the field and help ease the loss of David Cobb the most. Jones was the biggest recruit to choose the Gophers in years (ever) and after having to sit out last season, this year is going to be his first chance to make an impact. Were I to put a poll at the bottom of this post, I suspect Jones would be the winner. But lets not forget about Smith who was able to practice all season last year and from that standpoint has a leg up on Jones. Smith is a talented back as well and should be getting touches this fall.

Defensively I'm not expecting much out of the redshirt freshman class to contribute. Several true freshmen from last year's class all contributed including the four I mentioned plus Gary Moore, Everett Williams, Jonathan Celestin and Andrew Stetler. The one name worth watching would be Julien Kafo who could work himself into the rotation at defensive end.

Tough to say because often players step up to fill a void that is created by injury or other unforeseen circumstances. But there have been freshmen every year who contribute, lets take a look at some likely candidates.

True Freshmen

Projecting this becomes more difficult., but I'll give you a few names to consider.

OL - Tyler Moore - Moore was an early enrollee, has been through spring practices and has been able to spend months in the strength & conditioning program. Those are big advantages, look at what it did for Connor Mayes last year who saw his redshirt burned as a true freshman. Already coming in with good size and with the skill set to play center, Moore has a chance to earn his way on to the two-deep very early in his Gopher career.

RB - Jonathan Femi-Cole - this is a position that is open and just waiting for someone to step in and earn some carries. JFC is a physical freak and his size may allow him to handle the rigors of being a Big Ten running back. Not likely going to be a week one starter but my mid-season could be earning some carriers. I'm not putting much confidence in this one, just listing it as an option.

DB - Dior Johnson - Ever year there is a true freshman d-back who gets playing time. Last year it was Craig James, this year? Johnson is a talented, four-star incoming recruit who stands a great chance at fitting into the safety rotation. With several seniors in the defensive backfield, there is a need to get guys reps and up to speed quickly.

DB - Ray Buford - Good height for a corner and with Buford's athleticism he is a prime candidate to play as an extra corner in the rotation. I do not expect major contributions but would not at all be surprised to see Buford playing this fall.

So if you were to put me on the spot I would say that you are going to get spot contributions from a few true freshmen this year in Moore, Johnson and Buford. None of them will have a significant impact (barring injury) but those three will earn time and not be allowed to redshirt.

The real contributions from from those who redshirted last season. Melvin Holland Jr, Isaiah Gentry and Jerry Gibson will all have double-digit receptions and will all score a touchdown. Those may not seem like much but bear in mind that we had only one player with more than 18 receptions last year. Running the ball, I'm going to go with the Jeff Jones hype train. He was getting a lot of reps at receiver in the spring which tells me that they just want to get this kid on the field. He will see time at running back and maybe some at receiver as well but by season's end he will be an integral part of this offense.

There you have it, my thoughts on potential freshmen impact players. Who did I miss?

i hope one of the highly touted freshmen wr's really separates themself.

the Huff Bro that played LB at the spring game was all over the field and hitting anything in his way

I commented to a couple guys that we hadnt heard that kind of hitting in a while

Not sure if he will play much but i am sure he is going eventually

the Huff Bro that played LB at the spring game was all over the field and hitting anything in his way

I commented to a couple guys that we hadnt heard that kind of hitting in a while

Jacob or Julian?

This open competition for playing time, I have never seen it this intense for as long as I have been a GOpher fan. Correct me if I am wrong.

I like the idea that PWOs, JCs, and true freshmen all have equal chances at earning playing time through hard work and/or unmistakable talent.

We have quality depth at almost every position!

I can't wait for the season to start.

i hope one of the highly touted freshmen wr's really separates themself.

Agree although with the reports that Jones look like the best receiver during the spring I would say his chances of being the impact guy may be higher then those guys. I just really hope a couple of those young receivers pan out. Kill has not had much success recruiting the WR position to this point, hopefully we see that change with this current crop of players.

Kafo is interesting. Saw him at the Spring game and he had put on about 25 pounds. He is still in the learning process after coming down from Canada.

That one hit was very audible all the way to the top row during the Spring Game.

I think we will see a rise in receiving stats, because of the change in philosophy. I think we will get more rb/wr screens, dumps, and short passes. So I think the "receiver" that will impact us the most will be Jeff Jones (not really a freshman though).

I think we will see a rise in receiving stats, because of the change in philosophy. <b>I think we will get more rb/wr screens, dumps, and short passes. </b>So I think the "receiver" that will impact us the most will be Jeff Jones (not really a freshman though).

I hope you right. I have been waiting for the talent and willingness to implement more of that for a long time.

Agree although with the reports that Jones look like the best receiver during the spring I would say his chances of being the impact guy may be higher then those guys. I just really hope a couple of those young receivers pan out. Kill has not had much success recruiting the WR position to this point, hopefully we see that change with this current crop of players.
A good QB makes wide receivers to a much larger degree than wr making a inaccurate QB much better. Time for Leidner to step up.

expect a similar run to pass mix as last years successful season. hey, if a QB steps up and is able to sling it around like David Whitehurst then you might see an increase in pass plays but otherwise cut yer koolaid with water.

expect a similar run to pass mix as last years successful season. hey, if a QB steps up and is able to sling it around like David Whitehurst then you might see an increase in pass plays but otherwise cut yer koolaid with water.

Bold prediction.

"It will be the same as last year, unless it's different."

;)

We have 9 redshirt freshman, so I'd expect at least 6 true freshmen to play to get that class up to 15. I think these are the kids who play:

1. Tyler Moore. He's been here since January, and we will need him to be in the rotation next year. I think he gets mop up duty and special teams action.
2. Quinn Oseland. Because he might be the 3rd best OT on the team after Pirsig and Lauer.
3. Julian Huff
4. Jacob Huff (either Huff or Johnson will need to be our 3rd safety next year).
5. Antonio Shenault (I think Shenault might be the Steve Richardson of this class. Dominant in high school, but overlooked due to his size.) 2 corners will need to play to get ready for 2016.
6. Ray Buford. The corners won't play a ton this year, and someone will be screaming by mid-season that we burned their redshirts, but it's valuable experience as we will rely heavily on them in 2016 when BBC and Murray are gone.

We have 9 redshirt freshman, so I'd expect at least 6 true freshmen to play to get that class up to 15. I think these are the kids who play:

1. Tyler Moore. He's been here since January, and we will need him to be in the rotation next year. I think he gets mop up duty and special teams action.
2. Quinn Oseland. Because he might be the 3rd best OT on the team after Pirsig and Lauer.
3. Julian Huff
4. Jacob Huff (either Huff or Johnson will need to be our 3rd safety next year).
5. Antonio Shenault (I think Shenault might be the Steve Richardson of this class. Dominant in high school, but overlooked due to his size.) 2 corners will need to play to get ready for 2016.
6. Ray Buford. The corners won't play a ton this year, and someone will be screaming by mid-season that we burned their redshirts, but it's valuable experience as we will rely heavily on them in 2016 when BBC and Murray are gone.

Highly doubt that with 8 OL returning with starting experience we play 2 true frosh OL as that is the position teams most want to RS players. We're definitely playing 3-5 true frosh DBs though

A good QB makes wide receivers to a much larger degree than wr making a inaccurate QB much better. Time for Leidner to step up.

I disagree. I think it can be pretty equal. Our receivers have struggled in two main areas in my opinion: getting any kind of separation and battling for deep balls. It makes the life of a QB much easier when he can just throw it up down field and he knows there is a good chance the receiver will come down with it.

Don't get me wrong a good QB is extremely important.

Naw, i disagree. Great QB's make average WR's look good. Being able to hit WR's in stride, throwing in tight spots make WR's look good. Perfect example is Tom Brady. Has never had dominate WR(dont even go down the Moss road). Hes had Gronk, but thats just about it.

Mitch's problem is he cant throw balls on a rope and hit a guy in the chest in stride. Guys are always reaching high or behind them. You dont need a ton of separation if you can hit them in stride or lead them correctly.

Anyways, Mitch is not bad by any means he just needs to improve i think if this team is going to take the next step.

I disagree. I think it can be pretty equal. Our receivers have struggled in two main areas in my opinion: getting any kind of separation and battling for deep balls. It makes the life of a QB much easier when he can just throw it up down field and he knows there is a good chance the receiver will come down with it.

Don't get me wrong a good QB is extremely important.

You are comparing Mitch to a future NFL hall of famer.
Besides, Mitch plays with fully inflated balls.

Btw Ron Johnson made Travis Cole/Billy Cockerham/Assad Abdul Qaliq look good. Decker made Weber look good.

Sent from my 78Dian 78P01 using Tapatalk

Highly doubt that with 8 OL returning with starting experience we play 2 true frosh OL as that is the position teams most want to RS players. We're definitely playing 3-5 true frosh DBs though

It won't necessarily be because we need them this year, but more because we need them in 2016. We have 5 senior O-lineman this year, so in 2016 our interior lineman choices are Isaac Hayes, Connor Mayes, and Jared Weyler. Not a lot of experience and depth with that group. Which is why we are recruiting a JUCO (Vincent Calhoun) and why I think Moore will play. Limegrover was pretty critical of the back-up OTs during spring practice, which is why I think Oseland will see the field.

You are comparing Mitch to a future NFL hall of famer.
Besides, Mitch plays with fully inflated balls.

Btw Ron Johnson made Travis Cole/Billy Cockerham/Assad Abdul Qaliq look good. Decker made Weber look good.

Sent from my 78Dian 78P01 using Tapatalk

The bottom line is both sides are right, the two positions are joined at the hip and rely heavily on each other. A great WR can make an average QB look good. A great QB can make an average receiver look good. Our problem is we are combing an average QB with average to below average receivers. Hopefully that starts to change this year on the WR front because as much as I like Mitch and think he is a decent fit for our system he is never going to be a great passing QB, it just isn't in his skill set in my opinion at least. He needs a strong group of receivers in order to be effective passing the ball because he can't throw with enough zip on the ball and doesn't have the accuracy to fit balls into tight windows.

Top Bottom