Which Defensive position group is more to blame for Iowa collapse?

What Defensive Position Group is most responsible for the collapse against Iowa?

• D Line

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • LBs

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Secondary

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters

Why does it matter, the offense wasn't going to come close to scoring anyhow. Defense could of given up 3 points or 300 points, the result would have been the same.

I agree with LBs. I greatly considered secondary too, given how often our safetys ran full blast to the LOS and gave up our safety net in the back end of the defense. Overall though, our gap responsibility was absolutely awful in the second half and that largely falls on the LBs

45 has turned into a disaster. Can’t tackle a lick. Sad, as we thought he might be the next Cashman or Gibbens.

It's the D Line. We lost the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Our inability to control the line of scrimmage with either our O Line and D Line was horrendous.

It’d hard to place blame on just one unit, but the linebackers failed gap responsibility often, and the safeties weren’t on position either. I think none of the units were working together very well.

Defensive tackles. They were getting pushed 2 to 3 yards up the field and did not take on blocks effectively in second half. Lowest man with extra leg drive is needed. They Iowa OL were getting under Minnesota's pads and driving them off the line and standing them up. Hard to make plays like that.

Last edited:

Defensive tackles. They were getting pushed 2 to 3 yards up the field and did not take on blocks effectively in second half. Lowest man with extra leg drive is needed. They Iowa OL were getting under Minnesota's pads and driving them off the line and standing them up. Hard to make plays like that.
The Iowa back averaged almost 10 yards per carry. That is your defensive line getting blown into the next century.

This defense was Wacker-esque the last 4 games of the season last year.

I saw the same signs of this last night.

I can't tell you how many times Iowa was a shoe string tackle from popping many more huge runs.

Thank you MINNESOTA VIKINGS.

All 3 were bad. Jah Joyner was a no show with no recorded stat except a penalty.

Maybe not the worst, I went with DBs. That long Iowa Johnson run is seared in my mind.

Sorry, I meant plural. Runs.

I wouldn't play Lindenburgh #45 right now. That big brace, he isn't healthy and it's not like you can tackle well with one arm. Need more linebacker depth, staying in the correct gaps.

The Iowa back averaged almost 10 yards per carry. That is your defensive line getting blown into the next century.

This defense was Wacker-esque the last 4 games of the season last year.

I saw the same signs of this last night.

I can't tell you how many times Iowa was a shoe string tackle from popping many more huge runs.

Thank you MINNESOTA VIKINGS.
Ten yards a carry also means somebody missed a tackle as he was two or three yards through the hole. In reality, a lot of his yards came getting around the edge because Iowa excelled on blocking out there. Their blockers beat our defenders.

Ten yards a carry also means somebody missed a tackle as he was two or three yards through the hole. In reality, a lot of his yards came getting around the edge because Iowa excelled on blocking out there. Their blockers beat our defenders.
Maybe their blockers our defenders at times, but the edge plays a lot of times were counters where our guys “voluntarily” left it wide-open out there and off they went. Even Striggow, who I think has played great this year, got torched a couple of times both on runs and the counter pass to the TE the QB ran free. Gotta keep contain DL 101.

Top Bottom