Where's this week's student ticket sales story?

I believe it can be expanded to 80K in just one off-season. I think I read that somewhere.

And can be added in 10,000 increments. The physical building timetable I'm not sure, but keep in mind funding would also need to be secured before any construction begins.

If you have a big increase in demand in one year it would be highly difficult to first make the decision to expand, then secure funding and finish construction by the following year.

To be fair, I'm sure if our football team had a great shot at winning a national title every season, the student tickets would sell out in 30 minutes.

I agree that hockey is expected to compete for the NC every year. They haven't live up to that expectation in recent years and sales dipped a bit. Not to the extent of football, but it happened. If the football team hadn't dropped games to FCS teams in the last 4 years, then sales probably would have stayed consistent around 7K+ every year or something like that.

Again, not a fair comparison for many reasons. But the students see that the team has not done well in recent memory. Most undergrads don't have a vast knowledge of the team's performance, especially out of state kids. And the perception has been that the team sucks. So that kind of bashes the typical culture of Big Ten Schools. That being, it's a fall Saturday, I am going to go cheer my school on during a football game. Plus the school is handing out tickets for free. So why pony up the cash now when they can see how far the U takes the free-riding? If the team is going into say the homecoming game undefeated, sales will probably spike. If the team is going in the Michigan game undefeated or even with 1-2 losses, heck even 3, then sales will probably jump for the one game.

There is probably a marketing decision here that isn't overly complicated. We will see. I think this Saturday will see a jump in overall and student attendance due to the time of day, and discounted tickets.

Let's face it. Your typical student is pretty cheap. If they think they can wait, and score a free ticket, they have no incentive to purchase tickets in advance. That's the double-edged sword of freebies. It's a good way to pull people in on short notice, but if they start expecting to get in for free, it's a lot harder to convert them to paying customers.

One of the biggest issues I've seen and heard around campus the past few days is that many students didn't know there were $10 STUDENT tickets for sale at Mariucci. A lot of kids have been posting on facebook and twitter asking for tickets because they saw the $10 tickets were sold out.

No they don't. They have recent grad tickets at reduced rates, but no section of the stadium set aside for those ticket holders.

I interpeted his comments to mean selling new alumni tickets in general, not putting them all together in a special section. If that's what he was getting at, you're right and sorry for my misinterpretation of his comments.

One of the biggest issues I've seen and heard around campus the past few days is that many students didn't know there were $10 STUDENT tickets for sale at Mariucci. A lot of kids have been posting on facebook and twitter asking for tickets because they saw the $10 tickets were sold out.
These folks need to follow the Gopher Athletic ticket accounts. They've been advertising the $10 student sales on Twitter for several days now.

A mass email could have solved that problem. Don't they send out emails when the AD is giving away free pizza or something to get students to go to a women's hockey game or something?

Top Bottom