Where are the recruits dining?

Rog

Reaction score
Yes, where?

A number are quoted as eating some place on Friday night and saying quote"the best food I have ever ate"

I would like to knowas I'm looking for a good place myself.

What Auggie said. Persig talked about it in his interview with Chris Monter/GH.com.

I assumed it would be Taco John's.
Six pack and a pound? Nachos Navidad?

There was a story floating around years ago that Mason took a recruit to Manny's or Murray's and had a big juicy steak delivered to the table and the recruit didn't want it, he just wanted a cheeseburger, like at McDonalds.

Six pack and a pound? Nachos Navidad?

There was a story floating around years ago that Mason took a recruit to Manny's or Murray's and had a big juicy steak delivered to the table and the recruit didn't want it, he just wanted a cheeseburger, like at McDonalds.

That was Laurence Maroney. And if I remember correctly, Mason told them to grind up a filet and put it on a bun with cheese.

Mason told the Maroney/Manny's story just a few days ago (Friday, I think?) on Barreiro. Mason said that he and his wife, along with Browning and his wife, took Maroney to Manny's during his official visit. Maroney told the group how he didn't like steak (and made a big deal about it), so Mason pulled the waiter aside and asked him to take a filet ($36) and grind it up and throw it on a bun with some cheese. When they brought it out, Mason asked Maroney how his $36 burger was, and Maroney hesitated (said how he liked McDonald's better) before saying it was really good. Mason said (jokingly) that when Maroney hesitated, he thought he was going to be a smart-aleck, and he thought about sending him on the plane back to St. Louis right then and there because he didn't want to deal with such a pain in the ass. Mason told the whole team the story later on during Maroney's freshman season, and he told Maroney (in front of everyone): "If I'd have known you were going to be this good, I would've driven you to McDonald's myself."

I lived 2 blocks north of the Dinkytown McDonalds my junior year (also Maroney's) and I can tell you it felt like every day I walked past on the way to class I saw him getting on or off his scooter there. I think he was given food for free at McD's as part of his scholarship.

Mason told the Maroney/Manny's story just a few days ago (Friday, I think?) on Barreiro. Mason said that he and his wife, along with Browning and his wife, took Maroney to Manny's during his official visit. Maroney told the group how he didn't like steak (and made a big deal about it), so Mason pulled the waiter aside and asked him to take a filet ($36) and grind it up and throw it on a bun with some cheese. When they brought it out, Mason asked Maroney how his $36 burger was, and Maroney hesitated (said how he liked McDonald's better) before saying it was really good. Mason said (jokingly) that when Maroney hesitated, he thought he was going to be a smart-aleck, and he thought about sending him on the plane back to St. Louis right then and there because he didn't want to deal with such a pain in the ass. Mason told the whole team the story later on during Maroney's freshman season, and he told Maroney (in front of everyone): "If I'd have known you were going to be this good, I would've driven you to McDonald's myself."

Beat me to the punch. Almost word for word what Mase said. That's such a GREAT recruiting story!

Great stuff - thanks for posting dpodoll68.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom