When The Final Score Is Posted

husker70

Reaction score
High Above TCF Bank Stadium

It will read

Minnesota 42 Visitor 10

Long after the last car leaves the tailgate lot, the conversation will be what a pounding the Gophers administered.

The Gophers will defer and kick off. The Rebels start on there 25. Early attempts to run the ball are stuffed by Hageman, Botticelli, and Wilson. And when Sherry Drops to pass he is sacked by Cockran. The punt puts the Gopher offense in business on their 35. It is Kirkwood for 5, 7, 12, 10. Play action off another Kirkwood run finds Fruechte for six and the rouser. Minnesota 7-0. The ensuing kickoff sails through the endzone and Sherry goes to his short passing game. He completes a wide receiver screen for 6. A run gains 2. And on third down he attempts a check down to the back, and Campbell intercepts. He takes it down to the 15. Kirkwood rushes 4 times for the score its 14-0.

The kickoff again goes through the endzone. Its the end of the quarter.

Sherry again tries the running game and nothing. On third and 8, Hageman gets the sack. The punt and the Gophers are on their 45. Back to Kirkwood for 7, Kirkwood for 5, Playaction and Goodger make a catch and run to the Rebel 15. Kirkwood for 4, for 5, for 4, and yes for the TD! Its 21-0. Kirkwood has rushed the ball 18 times for 115.

Kick off and a short runback its Rebel ball on their 30. Another run is stuffed. UNLV is becoming one dimensional and Sherry launces a pass down the seam, and Vereen intercepts on the Gopher 45, and runs it back to the UNLV40. Nelson seizes the moment, play action to Kirkwood, and Engle is open on a post corner. TD! Nelson is 5 of 6. Its 28-0 and the teams go to half at that score.

Receiving the second half kick off the Gophers continue to pound the rock. And stick with Kirkwood. He cannot be denied. Nelson hits KJ Maye on a quick slant and he takes it down to the Rebel 20. Kirkwood for 6, for 5, for 5. Nelson to Maxx Williams its 35-0. No one is headed for the exits. The Gophers are making a statement. The Gopher Kickoff sails through the endzone. Sherry is now in need to throw mode. He completes two shorts passes and the Gopher tackling is solid. The Rebels make a first down. And he hits another completion. On second and 5, its Cockran with a Big sack. Making it 3 and 15. Sherry attempts a out to the wide side of the field and Murray intercepts. He is tackled and the Gophers are on the Rebel 38. Kirkwood is on the bench with 22 carries for 176, and UNLV is glad to see him there. But its Roderick Williams for 5, 7, 15. A pass to Maxx Williams and he is out on the Rebel 4. Williams takes it in and its 42-0 Going into the fourth quarter. The Rebels get a good runback and a roughing penalty on the Gophers. They are in business on the Gopher 40. Sherry complete an out for 7, again a wide receiver screen for 15. The Rebels are in the Red Zone. The second team defense is in there and they stiffen bringing up third and 5 at the Gopher 12. Gopher fans question Coach Hauk, but he kicks the field goal. Its good and its 42-3. The Rebels come back with a successful onside kick. And they are back in Gopher territory. A sack by Epke is number 5. But Sherry completes a post corner to the Gopher 15. Three passes in the endzone incomplete. On forth down he hits a back on a check down and he scores. 42-10. The Gophers run out the clock with Williams from Leidner. The game is over, and UNLV cannot stop the clock or the Gophers Williams rushes 8 times for 60 yards. The game ends with the Gophers on UNLV 7 in Victory formation.

that is one hell of a fast 1st q if we are scoring that quickly. and is sherry calling the plays?? and 4th and 10 from the 15 and a check down to the back is a TD? lol. still fun to read.

Husker I hope you are right about this prediction.

A new era of Gophers Football is about to let loose.
I'll be danged if were not due to come out and roll an opponent. I would hate to be the running Rebels from UNLV this year.
They are going to come out thinking they have a chance but this is finally our chance to see the Gophers football team step on the other
teams throat and pound the snot out of them. This is Big 10 football and we need to show these nancy's from the Moutain West
that we are a true Big 10 team and program.
I think a lot of people can sense that change in a good way is coming and we have a shot at a special season.
There is a lot of reasons for some of the blind optimism if you have been watching practice and paying attention and a reason the coaches
are so high on this group of players. This coaching staff doesn't sling bull bleep like Brewster, when they have something going, there ready to show it.
The worm will turn and the Gophers and Charlie Brown have had Lucy pull the dang football away for far
too long. It is time to kick Lucy in the A$$ and kick the damn ball out of the end zone.
We have the right coach, the right quarterback, a fierce defense ready to show they are a top Big10 unit and a favorable early schedule.
It is time, we have paid our dues as a fan base and program for far too long, It's time for the bricks to rise up and be stacked on defense,
and reclaiming the Gophers storied past from the Wilderness years. The Gophers are done wandering, I feel this one in my gutt and heart.
Time to rip the Rebels a new A hole.
Ski-u-Mah and Go Gophers.

Yay Gophers!

A new era of Gophers Football is about to let loose.
I'll be danged if were not due to come out and roll an opponent. I would hate to be the running Rebels from UNLV this year.
They are going to come out thinking they have a chance but this is finally our chance to see the Gophers football team step on the other
teams throat and pound the snot out of them. This is Big 10 football and we need to show these nancy's from the Moutain West
that we are a true Big 10 team and program.
I think a lot of people can sense that change in a good way is coming and we have a shot at a special season.
There is a lot of reasons for some of the blind optimism if you have been watching practice and paying attention and a reason the coaches
are so high on this group of players. This coaching staff doesn't sling bull bleep like Brewster, when they have something going, there ready to show it.
The worm will turn and the Gophers and Charlie Brown have had Lucy pull the dang football away for far
too long. It is time to kick Lucy in the A$$ and kick the damn ball out of the end zone.
We have the right coach, the right quarterback, a fierce defense ready to show they are a top Big10 unit and a favorable early schedule.
It is time, we have paid our dues as a fan base and program for far too long, It's time for the bricks to rise up and be stacked on defense,
and reclaiming the Gophers storied past from the Wilderness years. The Gophers are done wandering, I feel this one in my gutt and heart.
Time to rip the Rebels a new A hole.
Ski-u-Mah and Go Gophers.

RAH!

Damm! Am I detecting something in the air? I am not sure exactly what it is but sure seems like optimism. Whatever it is, I like it! I hope we can recreate the Syracuse game atmosphere tonight.:cheer:

that is one hell of a fast 1st q if we are scoring that quickly. and is sherry calling the plays?? and 4th and 10 from the 15 and a check down to the back is a TD? lol. still fun to read.

Two things, running the ball takes about 35 seconds off the clock. And there are some plays not included in my summary due time and space. More important Sherry is a check down QB. He averaged 5 yards per completion last year. With a long of 75. Keep in mind last year he completed 45.7% against us last year. And the check down TD was against the second and part of third team players.

Husker, I love your optimism and your complete play by play of the game tonight. It works for me!

Top Bottom