When The Final Score Is Posted

husker70

Reaction score
High above The Bank, it will read

Gophers 31
Vistors 0

The defense will rise to shut out New Mexico State. They will have several quick change 3 and outs. The question will be whether the fans will respond to the Gopher effort. On the offensive side, an early score comes after a 3 and out by the Aggies. Stoudemier returns to Aggie 15. Gray to Lair TD. The field position gained by the defense and special teams has the offense on a short field. Bennett inside for 5, Gray to Mcknight for 15, Gray on the outside for 20. Bennett TD. The first quarter ends 14-0.

Nothing from The Aggies, and the credit goes to the defense. Pressure up the middle causes a interception by Rallis. He returns it to the Aggie 30. Short field again but the offense stalls and a 35 yard field is goood. The first half ends 17-0.

The second half begins with another run back by Stoudemier. The Gophers drive 55 yards to a TD, Bennett making 24-0. The Gophers kick off and the Aggies cannot do anything. A punt and the crowd goes wild as Shortell enters the game to start the fourth quarter. He directs the Gophers on a long sustained drive, mostly running the ball. Shortell completes to critical third down passes to keep the drive alive. Lamonte Edwards picks up where Bennett left off and scores from the 5. The drive takes 6 minutes off the clock leaving 4 minutes and the defense forces yet another Aggie Punt. Fair caught on the Gopher 30 with 3 mintues left, Shortell on a short lease hands to Edwards who responds with runs of 5, 7, 12. He drives to another first down and clock runs out with the Gophers in control of the ball and the game. While the headlines will feature the offense, it was the defense who wins this game. They are now sporting 6 quarters of shutout football.

I like your thinking husker70, I'm thinking a bit more scoring, say 10/11 points more.:drink:

Tough to say. If the team from the 1st Half of the USC game shows up, I am thinking much closer. Like 31-21.

But, if we continue to get better every quarter/game, like Coach Kill wants (which I feel will happen), then I am leaning towards a bigger margin of 42-10, with New Mexico scoring some their points in garbage time.

I'm thinking something like 56-21 Gophers

Killball is still unfamiliar to the players and the learning curve is still a factor. Another HC and another system to grasp. Gray is still learning. Plus the current roster has liabilities according to Coach Kill that could present opportunities to NMS.

If NMS feels they can protect their QB, I expect them to air it out and go long often.

Gophers hang in and prevail at the end.

31-20 Gophers

It better not be closer than 2 scores, we should win easily but I've been a fan long enough to know better.

Gophers 42-10

Gophers should score more than 31 against NMSU. I think there will be a bit more scoring from both sides.

Only 3 teams on NMSU's schedule put up fewer than 33 points (16, 27, 27) last season while they gave up 50 plus 3 times. They gave up 44 to Ohio (not state) to open this year.

I think it's going to be a 45-13 gopher victory. The gophers will win the battle in the trenches and we run around like crazy and get two turnovers. We'll turn the ball over once.

I'm going 45 to 6. We'll get one field goal early and 6 TDs. They'll score twice, but never get it in the end zone.

44-10, we get 5 TDs and Hawthorne nails 3 FG. NMSU passes for 250 yards, but mostly in the 4th, rushes for under 20 yards and turns the ball over 3 times. Gophers also block a punt. Gray and Shortell both strut their stuff.

I spent a few years at NMSU (golfer) before coming back home to the U. Most of us were out of state and we used to cheer for the other team, because the Aggies were so terrible. Other teams were averaging 45+ points for most of the season. It is hard for me to imagine things have changed that much.

It could get ugly if we execute on all cylinders, like I remember seeing for the Aggies. .. but if we have a first half like we did against SC, the final score will be in the 30’s and something below 20.

Kill easily goes to 2-0 at TCF after this weekend.

Beware of Bayfield Gophers prediction. He usually has it nailed. I think his defensive score is right on. I would give the gophers another touchdown than he does.

Beware of Bayfield Gophers prediction. He usually has it nailed. I think his defensive score is right on. I would give the gophers another touchdown than he does.

Hey Doc.

Can I take your money with me to Los Vegas??

Gophers 31
Aggies 10

It will be interesting to see how Kill motivates his team for this game. These were the games that killed us during the Brewster years. It would be nice to get up big and give a lot of carries in the 2nd half to Edwards, Kirkwood, and Wright to help build up their confidence.

Kill shows he can take care of an inferior opponent and "pounds the rock" effectively. DeWayne Walker's homecoming is spoiled by a 42-10 drubbing at the hands of Gophers. MG passes for 150 and 2 scores while not taking a sack, and runs 50 yds more and a score quieting critics. Duane Bennett has big day 150 yds and 2 TDs. Gophers D sacks the QB 5 times and intercepts 2 of NMSU's 45 passes. Edwards and Kirwood combine for 100 more yards and a score.

Attendence is 42,000 - fans leave to beat the traffic in the mid-4th quarter.

44-17 Gophers. NMSU will move the ball through the air often in the beginning. We will adjust and intersept 2 passes. We will get 3 sacks.

41-10, Minnesota. Gophers control the tempo. A couple moments were either the offense or defense don't look in sync, but still they roll. One late touchdown is given up well after the game has been decided.

Wish I was there, Go GOPHERS! BEAT THE AGGIES! Ski U Mah!

Gophers 41-17

Aggies score a late td against our 12th string.

Top Bottom