When The Final Score is Posted on The Jumbotron

The best part about this game is that we can load up against the run, which plays more to our strength on D. They only passed 7 times last week, if I'm remembering right.

On the defensive side, we shouldn't see the tentativeness or disarray that at times we saw in the first half against the 'Cuse. We should have a better game plan (wink wink - Cosgrove) because we know what is coming.

I'm seeing a tough early struggle until we entirely overmatch AFA and take them out back to the woodshed and give them a lesson they so richly deserve!

Just because they didn't pass the ball very much the last game does not mean that they cannot pull off some play action passes if necessary. Why would they pass if they are able to move the ball effectively on the ground, eat up the clock, and minimize the chances for them turning the ball over.

27-24 Gophers

We don't see the option alot (when is the last time we played an option offense - Ohio in '03?) but I'm pretty sure Cosgrove has seen it enough, and, dare I say it, I have some confidence in that. I think we'll be able to control their running game. My concern is that we give up some big pass plays off of play action.

Hopefully we run the ball better and give Weber more time to find someone other than Decker.

Guys, we aren't playing the Pittsburgh Steelers of college football. I'm REALLY worried about their run attack and ability to control the ball, but I have complete faith in our skill players on offense. We're going to advance the ball pretty easily, but 5-10 minute drives by AF and mistakes by our o line will keep them in it.

Gophers 28
Air Force 27

First you say that it's true that we are bigger and faster than AF, then you say it isn't right. Which is it?

Would you rather be bigger and faster or smaller and slower? Being bigger and faster of course doesn't guarantee victory. Size and speed are not the only factor, but it is a factor.

When I said "Posting this over and over again doesn't make it any more right!", what I meant by "this" was the idiotic argument that "Bigger + Faster = Victorious". If it were solely a matter of size and speed, Brock Lesnar would be the greatest football player in the history of mankind. However, he has never played a down in the NFL (and never will).

Of course size and speed is a factor. There is a greater margin for error when you have these advantages. But execution and proper fundamentals are far more important. I could give you a team full of the greatest athletes in the world, and I'll take a solid, well-coached team and beat you, handily, every time.

We are Vegas favorites and they know more than you do. Quit your crying, whining, and pessimism.

The line at -3 is STUPID. We are going to do straight work on them.

So which is it? They're smarter than us because we have the audacity to believe AFA can beat the Gophers?

Or that you're smarter than them because of the "stupid" line they've placed on the game?

Can't have it both ways, son.

Our first 2 games of this season look a lot like last season. We went up against NIU who had a brand new coach and we also weren't 100% sure what type of Offense they were gonna run, only an idea. It seemed like what plagued us last year was almost every game someone would have a wide open touchdown on blown coverage. We lead NIU 24-13 before they scored on a 90 yard touchdown on 3rd Down because Collado thought the receiver dropped the ball. Same thing in the 4th on a 3rd Down when they were near Midfield. Against Syracuse who also has a new coach and new system they scored on blown coverage. Take away that TD and it is a very different game, our Offense even had chances to put points on the board but we all know what happened.

Then bounced back and spanked BGSU though it was a close game until the 4th. We also thought we were gonna have a tough game against FAU because of how the bubble screen murdered us the year before. Then we shut them down 37-3. See the pattern?

This game is gonna go one of 2 ways.......and both ways still rely on our Offense.......

I do not believe the Falcons are as good Offensively as the 72-0 score reflects. Our Defense played strongest against the run last week and the only way I think AFA racks up more then 24 points against us is if we get caught sleeping on Play-Action plays. And our recent history worries me for this reason. I think we shut down AFA on the ground early in the game and throw them out of their comfort zone.......

Offensively AFA has the edge because they've been running their Offense for years and we're still trying to figure out who we are. I could see AFA scoring anywhere between 17-38 points in a Best Case/Worst Case scenario. Our Offense? We play from Average to Garbage and I still have not seen an impressive Offensive performance since our game against FAU...but it's FAU. We haven't looked impressive consistently in a looooooong time. Under Mason we averaged around 450-550yds a season, even against teams like Ohio State, Michigan & Wisconsin. We are a different team and barely have games above 400yds. That worries me because it seems like our Offense will come out strong and then just diminish or comes out weak and gets going too late. We lead Wisconsin 21-7 and lost 32-35, we lead Kansas 14-7 and then scored 1 more time and I don't need to remind anybody about how frustrating it's been to watch our Offense the last 6 games or so. Even against Syracuse we didn't look impressing at all. I just really hope Syracuse is not the 117th or 118th Defense it was last year. What's funny is if our Offense just clicked a little bit longer against Wisconsin & Northwestern we would've won 9 games.

If our Offense comes out and can establish some kind of rhythm instead of having a standard set of 25 plays that we're gonna run in a row, I believe we keep AFA's Offense off the field and have another BGSU scenario. We come out flat and have constant 3 & Outs, it will be Michigan all over again...remember how frustrated you were watching that game? We have to let our Defense rest or else they could wear us down and the life will be sucked out of TCF Stadium and our team. Our Offense cannot have quick 3 & Outs......

I predict the score will be 35-17, who wins and loses I have no idea, this game could go either way.......

So which is it? They're smarter than us because we have the audacity to believe AFA can beat the Gophers?

Or that you're smarter than them because of the "stupid" line they've placed on the game?

Can't have it both ways, son.

They don't think AFA is winning, neither do I.

So yes, son, I can.

They don't think AFA is winning, neither do I.

So yes, son, I can.

That's not what you said.

You said we are stupid for thinking AFA will not only beat the spread, but win outright.

And then you said that Vegas is stupid because their line is so low.

So in an intelligence hierarchy, you>Vegas>us AFA-UM pessimists

In other words, Vegas is so much smarter than the rest of us, but you're smarter than Vegas? OK there, high roller.

I really think we are set up defensively to defend this offense, I have serious concerns for some of the strong passing teams coming up. We have veteran strong Dlinemen, this bodes well for stuffing the Fb dive, and also our ends are going to be able to set an edge, the key for them is to be disciplined and not try to do more than "their job" on D, take the Fb or QB, don't try to chase the QB and the pitchman. Our LB's played very well last game, campbell will need to be able to scrape along the Oline and read the QB, step up and make him pitch or try to keep it. Our big Dline will need to keep the smaller Oline off of the Lb's at the second level, this is not natural for a Dlinemen, they like to penetrate and disrupt the backfield, but it will be key for them to tackle and hold the point jamming and staying up on the Olinemen, the safeties need to clean up the pitchman or fill the gaps the QB will want to run through, Theret can do this, Rallis and Royston remain to be seen. Corners need to stay sharp, not get hooked and be aware of the pass, they will most likely be man on man (good lord let Sherels be healthy man coverage is not collado's strength). I can see some 4-4 defense, with triplett and campbell inside, lawrence and cooper outside, I can see some 3-5-3 even, same thing but with Theret down in the box also and maybe someone like DL wilhite playing a standup end. I feel good about our D, the O will bounce back, it will be a tough, lower scoring game for awhile, and we will get a few big plays to make the difference.

That's not what you said.

You said we are stupid for thinking AFA will not only beat the spread, but win outright.

And then you said that Vegas is stupid because their line is so low.

So in an intelligence hierarchy, you>Vegas>us AFA-UM pessimists

In other words, Vegas is so much smarter than the rest of us, but you're smarter than Vegas? OK there, high roller.

Yup, you got it.

I'll take the reputation of high roller, keep yours as a douchebag.

Wow, nice comeback.

Better a douchebag than someone who thinks opinions can be right or wrong.

Thanks, I do my best.

I never said they were wrong, just stupid.
And yes, opinions can be stupid in my opinion. And since everything I post is only my opinion unless stated otherwise, you lose.

Thanks, I do my best.

I never said they were wrong, just stupid.
And yes, opinions can be stupid in my opinion. And since everything I post is only my opinion unless stated otherwise, you lose.

I "lose"? I didn't realize we were having a contest.

But, you're right, you win. Since you're so much smarter than Vegas, you clearly must live in a big mansion and have a smoking hot wife, drive a Bentley and lounge by the pool all day.

No, wait - you're just a punk college kid who talks a big game on a Gophers-themed internet message board.

But, you're right, you win. Since you're so much smarter than Vegas, you clearly must live in a big mansion and have a smoking hot wife, drive a Bentley and lounge by the pool all day.

You got that right.

There's no point in prediction threads if people are going to blow up any time the Gophers are picked to lose. I'd think if you were half as confident in the state of the program as you claim to be naysayers would hardly register as an irritation.

We need a sweet quote by koolaid at this point.

Oh my GopherGod

Just because they didn't pass the ball very much the last game does not mean that they cannot pull off some play action passes if necessary. Why would they pass if they are able to move the ball effectively on the ground, eat up the clock, and minimize the chances for them turning the ball over.

I agree, but IMO I'm not scared of the play action for a game breaking touchdown. Play action is a short to mid gainer, but if they have no vertical passing threat we can punch them in the mouth and rip the ball away. I was more scared about the potential of Greg (Take a Dukie) Paulus last week scrambling and finding a F/C errr... Mike Williams type to pass the ball to!

I agree, but IMO I'm not scared of the play action for a game breaking touchdown. Play action is a short to mid gainer, but if they have no vertical passing threat we can punch them in the mouth and rip the ball away. I was more scared about the potential of Greg (Take a Dukie) Paulus last week scrambling and finding a F/C errr... Mike Williams type to pass the ball to!

Play-Action Pass to Decker was our BEST play last week and we don't even have a believable ground game, lol.......

I wasn't aware that a pass had to end in a touchdown for it to be successful. The last I checked five 10 yard passes was just as effective as a single 50 yard bomb. The play action is very effective at catching a defense cheating towards the line to stop the run and after a few successful throws you are then forced to stop cheating which then opens up the running game. There have been plenty of option and wishbone teams that have dominated without having a deep threat QB and receiver.

I wasn't aware that a pass had to end in a touchdown for it to be successful. The last I checked five 10 yard passes was just as effective as a single 50 yard bomb. The play action is very effective at catching a defense cheating towards the line to stop the run and after a few successful throws you are then forced to stop cheating which then opens up the running game. There have been plenty of option and wishbone teams that have dominated without having a deep threat QB and receiver.

The funny thing is deep passes and blown coverage have plagued us in the last year or so so Play-Action is definitely one of my concerns. Look how Paulus got us with a simple Pump Fake.......

SCORE

THE HEAD SEES IT ABOUT 45-28 WITH AIR FORCE SCORING ALL IN THE FIRST HALF. THE HEAD

Top Bottom