when it comes to qbs, you never really know

metrolax

Reaction score
There is a lot of concern surrounding our qb situation right now, and not without merit. However, you never really know what you got until someone gets into a game. How do we know CS will flame out if he starts?

I remember (yes, I've orbited the sun that many times) when Boston College was getting down to their 4th qb at Penn State back
in 1981 and he got hurt. They then put in the last guy they had....a short little fellow who threw sidearm, in front of a capacity crowd at Penn State. Turned out he was Doug Flutie.

I can also site many many others, but you get the meaning.

If ML is okay, great. If not, CS will be fine. They'll put in an offensive gameplan he can handle.

And, how many remember Gil Fash in 1973?

You see? Miracles can happen! :)

It's funny how many people on this board are ripping Leidner, then turn around and predict that if Streveler has to play, the Gophers have no chance to win.

Kill made a comment on Sid's show about Streveler being one of the fastest players on the team. I wouldn't mind seeing a little option action with Strev and Berkley Edwards on the corner with a run-pitch option. (but, I'm an old wishbone guy at heart - I still think the Gophs could put a wishbone offense out there with Leidner at QB, Williams at up back, and Cobb and Edwards at HB.)

Right-this staff isn't gonna employ an offense the qb cannot handle. This is a good staff. They'll be okay.

It's funny how many people on this board are ripping Leidner, then turn around and predict that if Streveler has to play, the Gophers have no chance to win.

Not sure why that's funny. It basically means our starting QB sucks, but our back-up sucks more. I'd say disheartening is the word you're looking for.

Not sure why that's funny. It basically means our starting QB sucks, but our back-up sucks more. I'd say disheartening is the word you're looking for.

I think the point here is that no one knows our backup sucks more - or even that he sucks. Unless you can find some still photo from a practice to prove it, I'm not ready to write CS5 off quite yet.

I think the point here is that no one knows our backup sucks more - or even that he sucks. Unless you can find some still photo from a practice to prove it, I'm not ready to write CS5 off quite yet.

Agree with you on some level but at the same time all the reports out of camp was that Mitch was significantly ahead of all the other QB's on the roster and that it was vital that he stay healthy. The part that still concerns me at Streveler is all we ever hear about him is that he is fast and a good runner. We don't need a great runner at QB in this offense right now what we need is a guy that can scare defenses enough to keep them from loading up to stop the run.

People saying Leidner sucks after 2 games are being ****** bags. He's a college kid, a Minnesotan, who busts his ass and loves his University and state. Get some perspective. Go ahead and make comments from a football perspective, but to say he sucks is both stupid, and a cheap shot. This is the team we have, this is the team we've known we've had for the last 6 months. Get off the high horses and support the damn team.

Kill made a comment on Sid's show about Streveler being one of the fastest players on the team. I wouldn't mind seeing a little option action with Strev and Berkley Edwards on the corner with a run-pitch option. (but, I'm an old wishbone guy at heart - I still think the Gophs could put a wishbone offense out there with Leidner at QB, Williams at up back, and Cobb and Edwards at HB.)

Liedner is way, way, way too slow for that.

People saying Leidner sucks after 2 games are being ****** bags. He's a college kid, a Minnesotan, who busts his ass and loves his University and state. Get some perspective. Go ahead and make comments from a football perspective, but to say he sucks is both stupid, and a cheap shot. This is the team we have, this is the team we've known we've had for the last 6 months. Get off the high horses and support the damn team.

I respectfully disagree with your take. I'm a Leidner fan, and I've posted that I continue to buy stock in him (although the price continues to drift downward), but it makes no sense what you're saying. You ask that we go ahead and make comments from a football perspective, and saying he's been underwhelming at QB (or words to that effect) is certainly coming from a football perspective. It's neither stupid nor a cheap shot. It has nothing to do with being on a high horse and probably indicates extra passion about the team, not lack of support. And giving an assessment of a player should not take into account where he went to high school or how much he loves the university.

I respectfully disagree with your take. I'm a Leidner fan, and I've posted that I continue to buy stock in him (although the price continues to drift downward), but it makes no sense what you're saying. You ask that we go ahead and make comments from a football perspective, and saying he's been underwhelming at QB (or words to that effect) is certainly coming from a football perspective. It's neither stupid nor a cheap shot. It has nothing to do with being on a high horse and probably indicates extra passion about the team, not lack of support. And giving an assessment of a player should not take into account where he went to high school or how much he loves the university.

+1

He has played in 12 games.

Not a cheap shot. Blunt? Sure, but not a cheap shot. I suck at a lot of things. People who recognize them are not wrong.

And, how many remember Gil Fash in 1973?

You see? Miracles can happen! :)

I do. And anything is possible. If you can run the ball, you don't have to have a great throwing QB. Get in the right play, execute, and get the ball in the playmakers hands. KISS.

What I'm saying, is it's stupid, and a cheap shot, to say he sucks. Didn't think it was that hard to decipher. It's right there in black and white. The initial comment that the poster was inferring, was that Leidner sucks and his back up sucks worse. Real classy. Combined starts of 63-0 in the first 2 games (when's the last time that's happened) and that's what we're saying about our QB's. Real classy.

What I'm saying, is it's stupid, and a cheap shot, to say he sucks. Didn't think it was that hard to decipher. It's right there in black and white. The initial comment that the poster was inferring, was that Leidner sucks and his back up sucks worse. Real classy. Combined starts of 63-0 in the first 2 games (when's the last time that's happened) and that's what we're saying about our QB's. Real classy.

Hmmm...I had no problem deciphering anything. You didn't say anything that was encrypting. In fact, your attempted explanation just repeated your original thought in exactly the same words. Again, I'm a Leidner fan. But questioning his performance thus far, which is absolutely fair game, is a football-related assessment. It's not personal. Why are you taking it as such?

This actually makes about perfect sense, so I'm not sure how it's funny. Most people on this board have seen that Leidner does not look very good. Most people on this board know that Strevler was unable to even get himself into a competition with Leidner. Therefore simple logic dictates that Strevler is not very good.

Hopefully this is wrong, and Strevler excels when the spotlight shines on Saturday.

Since so many people on this board are seeing my Gopher's passing game as "all empty" vs even "half empty" AND since so many of you are picking my Gophers to lose on the road to TCU, what the hell difference does it make who lines up at quarterback for my team on Saturday? You people think the passing game is going to pretty much suck no matter who plays quarterback any way. And, maybe it will...

I'd say that TCU had best beware IF Leidner plays and ESPECIALLY IF Leidner does NOT play. There will be more unknown to TCU if they get the non-Leidner version of Golden Gopher smash-mouth. On the other hand, IF they have to face the Leidner-led version of my Gophers, he just may be due for a signature break-out game against that mighty team from near Dallas.

My Golden Gophers have NOTHING to lose, and everything to gain in this game. Heck, even a large percentage of people who call themselves Gopher Fans don't believe the team they call their own can hang with TCU in Fort Worth with OR without Leidner.

Besides that, my Gophers are getting better and better just plain running the ball. It looks to me as though that offensive line is starting to get some stuff done. Cobb is even able to see the field, wait for blocks and kick that second gear In AFTER breaking that first hit.

Focus on what my Golden Gophers CAN do...not JUST what they may not do quite as well...My Gophers are getting better because they are not giving up as many points to the other team...can sustain some drives...are improving field position and are getting better at moving the ball on the ground. They play the pass better on defense and are giving up fewer points. The kicking game is decent. AND, they are being penalized less than they used to. THAT is a hell of a lot of stuff to be getting a little better at. Lets just line up and play football down In Texas on Saturday and see what happens. I'm sure TCU is great and all that stuff...BUT...what the heck do my Gophers have to lose? Have some fun and make those Horned Frogs KNOW they were in the middle of a football game!

Beat those old Horned Frogs.

I'm just as big a homer as anyone. But %50 (against E Illinois & MTS, no less)... Is %50. That simply won't cut it. Loyalty is one thing, but when you're throwing %50 at home against the B teams of your schedule, that percentage drops to %40 when you star throwing against B1G defences.

Top Bottom