When are we putting in the 3 QB sets?

That may be one of the crazier offenses I have seen. Can't see that one going mainstream thank goodness.

I am surprised more teams don't do stuff like this, even if they only run it a few plays a game. When you run crazy offenses like this, it makes opposing teams prepare for it and takes away from other things.

Others will do it and MN might just be a candidate on some plays next year.

It's a matter of "Time to implement in practice" versus "Possible game benefit."

Anybody remember Jed Fisch putting our back up offensive tackle in the slot?

This would be a good way to solve quarterback controversies. If I were a defensive coordinator facing this offense, I'd tell my linebackers to just schmear everyone in the backfield. If there are 3 QB's lined up on a play, it seems to me that the "no blows to the head" rule doesn't apply to two of them.

Still, it might be worth considering some variation of this against MSU. We're sure as hell not gonna run it between the tackles on the Spartans

This would be a good way to solve quarterback controversies. If I were a defensive coordinator facing this offense, I'd tell my linebackers to just schmear everyone in the backfield. If there are 3 QB's lined up on a play, it seems to me that the "no blows to the head" rule doesn't apply to two of them.

Still, it might be worth considering some variation of this against MSU. We're sure as hell not gonna run it between the tackles on the Spartans

The "no blows to the head" rule applies to everybody on the field now. It can even result in an ejection in some cases.

It's a matter of "Time to implement in practice" versus "Possible game benefit."

Anybody remember Jed Fisch putting our back up offensive tackle in the slot?

We did that for one play this year. I believe it was Lauer.

GophersInIowa said:

Yes, but not slot, on the line. That's how Goodger got wide open. Nobody knew he was eligible.

Ah, yes, but when Mastermind Fisch tried to pull this off, we threw a bubble screen to the trips. Our back up tackle whiffed and we lost yardage.

I wrote Fisch off at that point. Why? Because that package (subs in/out) and scheme (new stance/position) took time to put in. A waste.

It puts multiple passers in the backfield - a feature of the old Single Wing, where at least three backs and sometimes four, could pass the ball. I've often wondered why teams with two good QBs didn't sometimes play both in the same backfield (not one at WR, like Gray), assuming each could block a bit.

My guess is that the Gophers have some plays with both Nelson and Leidner on the field. If the Gophers can keep it close, we may see some of those plays next week.

Top Bottom