What's at stake in Gophers walkout: The numbers behind College football's post-season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Business Journal:

’Tis the season for bowling.

Starting this month, hundreds of thousands of sports fans of varying ages and stages of life will descend on a select group of American cities to partake in an annual pilgrimage commonly known as College Bowl Season. In the process, they’ll deliver an economic boost for both teams, hosts and sponsors.

For example, the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers are in line for a share of the $4.7 million payout from the National Funding Holiday Bowl — though that's a big question mark after Gophers players announced Thursday they'd boycott the Dec. 27 game if the suspensions of 10 teammates aren't lifted. The university is asking the Holiday Bowl Committee for time to work out whether the school will back out of the game — if it does, Northern Illinois is reportedly in line to take the U of M's place.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twinciti...v4SYvc4p5FChL5bg4owEd&t=1481895579&j=76777131

Go Gophers!!

The kids won't get a single dollar of the holiday bowl money, all they are out is a couple of bowl gifts.

The kids won't get a single dollar of the holiday bowl money, all they are out is a couple of bowl gifts.

If I'm not mistaken, the U will come out ahead if they don't go to the bowl.

They don't have the travel expenses for the team, band, spirit squads, and the rest of the traveling party. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the B1G pools all of the bowl money and distributes it evenly. Thus, the Gophers lose 1/14 of the Holiday Bowl Revenue, but recoup that and likely more from not traveling.

If I'm not mistaken, the U will come out ahead if they don't go to the bowl.

They don't have the travel expenses for the team, band, spirit squads, and the rest of the traveling party. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the B1G pools all of the bowl money and distributes it evenly. Thus, the Gophers lose 1/14 of the Holiday Bowl Revenue, but recoup that and likely more from not traveling.

Complete conjecture, but I would guess the conference would ding the University and take away their share of the bowl revenue pool if the U chooses to turn down their contribution to said bowl revenue pool.

if the gophers elect not to go to the holiday bowl, could the other 13 schools vote to decline the U their share of bowl revenues split?

if the gophers elect not to go to the holiday bowl, could the other 13 schools vote to decline the U their share of bowl revenues split?

I would think they would, and should, do so. It's one thing to take a share in a year where you miss a bowl. If you are selected and opt out, you are impacting the bottom lines of your partners.

Losing a few million is nothing compared to the tens of million they lose over the next 10 years from sports revenue and hundreds of million they lose from having their brand tarnished that will effect far more than just sports.

Many studies have been done that show academic and general giving are tied to athletic prominence. The U's brand is tied to football (as are most major universities) and having it look like the President has completely lost control and is out of his depths is going to have long lasting impact.

Kaler must be fired when this is over regardless of outcome for the football team. Coyle and Claeys too...although I expect Claeys to quit if they miss the bowl game and go back to Kansas to work with his old buddy JK.

Top Bottom