What word or picture pops in your head when you hear "Nebraska"?

Lived in Minnesota for the first 21 years and have lived in Nebraska since. Southern 2/3 of the state is flat and pretty boring, lots of corn fields as mentioned. The sandhills of Nebraska, northwestern 1/4 of the state are a whole different view. A lot like western SD. I think Lincoln has a lot to offer. It has been a great place raise a family. Still a loyal gopher fan that is enjoying the recent success against the Huskers.
The stretch across the northern border of the state along the river is really pretty, and the sandhills are very cool.

I think Nebraska is more interesting to drive through than say, Illinois.

The drive through Illinois is even worse than Iowa, which I didn’t think was possible.
From Chicago to St. Louis might be the worst drive in America. Iowa is the rocky mountains compared to that stretch.

Lived in Minnesota for the first 21 years and have lived in Nebraska since. Southern 2/3 of the state is flat and pretty boring, lots of corn fields as mentioned. The sandhills of Nebraska, northwestern 1/4 of the state are a whole different view. A lot like western SD. I think Lincoln has a lot to offer. It has been a great place raise a family. Still a loyal gopher fan that is enjoying the recent success against the Huskers.
Also a Gopher living in Lincoln. Most exciting place in the world? No. But it’s a safe, clean, growing, (relatively) affordable, and friendly city. Great place to raise a family.

I’m not above joking about Nebraska (or other states), but some of you guys clearly need to get off of I-80 next time you’re heading west!

Same here. I just looked up the stats for that game. Nebraska had 52 rushes for 585 yards. 11.25 yards per rush. Really remarkable to think about that.
I remember watching and after awhile, even though I'm a Gopher fan, I was hoping for 100 just to say that I saw something like that happen. It was a road game for Nebraska and I think there was a rule then that you could only travel with so many players, so Nebraska couldn't go down to the fourth-string and run dive plays. Still and all, Osborne had the starters in well into the third quarter.

I always get a kick out of people ignorantly claiming that the entire state of Nebraska is flat and boring.

The Sandhills is one of the most beautiful and rugged regions of the country!

Same here. I just looked up the stats for that game. Nebraska had 52 rushes for 585 yards. 11.25 yards per rush. Really remarkable to think about that.
Some other incredible stats: Nebraska completed just 5 passes in the game for 195 yards. Gill had 4 carries for 100 yards. Irving Fryar had 2 catches for 138 yards.

I'm way old and when I think of Nebraska--at least in a football sense--Johnny Rodgers' 71-yard punt return is the first thing that comes to mind. Big play in one of the greatest college football games ever.

This Johnny Rodgers?

This Johnny Rodgers?

That's the guy. Not a model citizen, but I just remember that return like it was yesterday.

I always think of little kid things since I lived most of my elementary school years there.

I like to say Nebraska is a good place to be 8 or 80

I'll say Nebraska state punt pass and kick, which was on the field at Memorial Stadium.

My three initial thoughts that come to my mind of Nebraska:

1) My college football coach, who was a proud Nebraska grad, would say, "Nebraska, where the "N" stands for (k)nowledge."

2) My second thought was how much fun it was to watch Tommie Frazier and Lawrence Phillips when I was a kid. I was completely clueless to the type of guy Phillips was but he sure was fun to watch run the football.

3) Great fans for the most part - lots of fun tailgating with them both in Lincoln and Minneapolis. Although each year it has become more apparent that they are even realizing the golden days of Nebraska football is in the rearview mirror and the majority of fans are stuck somewhere between the 90s and reality.

Last edited:

I always get a kick out of people ignorantly claiming that the entire state of Nebraska is flat and boring.

The Sandhills is one of the most beautiful and rugged regions of the country!
So then it is just boring at least to me. That can be said for most of the 50 states.

Top Bottom