What will it take?

Reaction score
IMO if Kill is to have GREAT success at Minnesota the 2014 recruiting class is going to prove to be the most important factor. We need to land a stud RB and Jeff Jones is right here in our back yard, so what is it going to take?

As we all know we need talent all over the field but we can grow OL, we need to attract out of state speed all over the field (all of us know this). So, I thought it would be interesting to get opinions on what it will take to start landing highly touted recruits.

In order of importance: What will it take for Kill and staff (THIS YEAR) to have the breakout recruiting class they need in 2014?

For me:

1. Bowl Appearance
2. Rivalry Wins
3. Total Wins
4. Being Competitive = Not getting blown out
5. Facilities (Plans set in stone for upgrades to the practice facility etc.)
6. System (Players Knowing where they are going to fit)
7. Fan support
8. Coaching Stability (Retaining Assistants)
9. Chance to play early
10. Other (Please Mention)

Nice list. I think one of the other key components is the relationship that forms betweens recruits and coaches. If a player really likes the coaching staff, you've got a shot. This year is critical for the coaching staff to show improvement and get to 5-6 wins. They need this to happen in order to sell their vision.

Nice list. I think one of the other key components is the relationship that forms betweens recruits and coaches. If a player really likes the coaching staff, you've got a shot. This year is critical for the coaching staff to show improvement and get to 5-6 wins. They need this to happen in order to sell their vision.

John, trust is a good one! But where would you rank that in terms of importance? Does is surpass a trip to a bowl game or a victory against a rival? IMO those two are much more important in terms of the 2014 class and to a much lesser extent the 2013 recruiting class.

John, trust is a good one! But where would you rank that in terms of importance? Does is surpass a trip to a bowl game or a victory against a rival? IMO those two are much more important in terms of the 2014 class and to a much lesser extent the 2013 recruiting class.

I think your order is pretty good, no kid is the same and each will prioritize these differently. Wins and losses, as well as how competitive we are in the games we lose, will be the most important factor for most. If you listen to what the 2012 and 2013 recruits are saying as to why they chose Minnesota, the common theme is that they liked the coaching staff and believe in their vision for turning the program around. In order to maintain and build momentum for the 2013 class, and to get the top MN kids for 2014, which is looking like it will be a really strong class, we need to continue to make strides on the field this year. No matter what anyone says about giving Kill all the time he needs and the fact that he has a 7 year contract, this year is critical. Jeff Jones could be the type of game changing running back we need. Our chances of landing him are better if we win 5-6 games this year than if we have another 3 win season. Same goes for pretty much all of the recruits.

I think your order is pretty good, no kid is the same and each will prioritize these differently. Wins and losses, as well as how competitive we are in the games we lose, will be the most important factor for most. If you listen to what the 2012 and 2013 recruits are saying as to why they chose Minnesota, the common theme is that they liked the coaching staff and believe in their vision for turning the program around. In order to maintain and build momentum for the 2013 class, and to get the top MN kids for 2014, which is looking like it will be a really strong class, we need to continue to make strides on the field this year. No matter what anyone says about giving Kill all the time he needs and the fact that he has a 7 year contract, this year is critical. Jeff Jones could be the type of game changing running back we need. Our chances of landing him are better if we win 5-6 games this year than if we have another 3 win season. Same goes for pretty much all of the recruits.

Well put!

Top Bottom