what we just saw was the "folly" of senior day

Williams held his own in his first stint....but he is a liability on offense. He also had a crucial turnover (others did as well). Holding your own is not enough reason to get playing time.

Starting him was fine, but we did not go to Sampson early enough IMO. Also, If Colt was available, Williams should never have seen the court after his first stint.

Williams held his own in his first stint....but he is a liability on offense. He also had a crucial turnover (others did as well). Holding your own is not enough reason to get playing time.

Starting him was fine, but we did not go to Sampson early enough IMO. Also, If Colt was available, Williams should never have seen the court after his first stint.[/QUOTE]

Apparently, the coach disagreed.

Normally I'd fully agree with you, but Williams did ok on the offensive end. He failed on the baseline jumper and interior help defense. Abu-Shamala had a nice game and helped open up our short-lived big lead. It's too bad he's not a better passer or had a quicker step on defense, he should have been able to help this year with outside shooting and hustle play.

I'm sorry but I could not disagree more with this assessment of Williams' play. He was terrified every time he touched the ball and never moved into position to allow the called plays to develop. He was an absolute train wreck. I am sorry to have to say this because I think Williams is a nice guy but there is no excuse for keeping him on the floor yesterday after his first two turnovers (within the first 2-3 minutes of the game I believe).

Someone said Iverson was hurt, which led to Williams' increased playing time. If that's the case then I guess I can only advocate a smaller lineup next time. Get Bostick on the floor or something.

Yeah...placing blame on playing the seniors is misguided IMO. They actually provided quite the spark. Yes, Big Jon made a couple mistakes, but c'mon, it ain't like he flopped out there, he played decent. He wasn't the reason for this loss. Losing three point shooters, being scared to shoot on offense, and just plain lack of poise cost us.

And let's face it, Colt 45's dropped off as the season progressed. The guy is wearing down. I really don't think he makes a large difference here considering the things he does well were done well in this game anyway. Would he be covering the three point shooters down the stretch?

Abu-Shamala added a hot spark all game long- that is the truth. If Williams had shown that same spark we might have pulled this one out.

Abu-Shamala added a hot spark all game long- that is the truth. If Williams had shown that same spark we might have pulled this one out.

It's true. If it wasn't senior night, JAS wouldn't have gotten much PT, and wouldn't have had the good game he had. I don't fault Tubby for playing Big Jon, except at the end of the game. Sometimes you win, sometimes not.

My biggest problem was Big Jon let Sims hit two jumpers on him early, and then let him do the exact same thing in the last couple minutes of the game. You have to learn and adjust while the game progresses. Just dumb defense, IMO

Starting him was fine, but we did not go to Sampson early enough IMO. Also, If Colt was available, Williams should never have seen the court after his first stint.[/QUOTE]

Apparently, the coach disagreed.

and apparently that may have contributed to the loss yesterday.

Top Bottom