What to expect from Gibbens?

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
So just what should be the expectations for the Gibbens transfer? He definitely comes at a seeming position of need, or at least need for experience. Obviously the previous level of competition has to be considered but I'm reasonably hopeful, for a handful of reasons;

He'll be an older and experienced player in that position group
He's play a whole lot of football, 4-yr starter
His academic standing sure leads you to believe that he's got the head to play the position and pick up a new system.
It sounds like he'll be here for spring ball, and hopefully they HAVE a somewhat typical spring ball, so that will make a big difference in how easily he picks things up as well.

I'm keeping expectations tempered but I think he'll be a really solid player; at the very least he's going to add some depth to the position and depth with a ton of experience.

The Gophers need experienced depth on the Defensive side.

Last edited:

In addition to Oliver and the guys who played this year, we also have 3 of our top rated recruits for 2020 and 2021 at LB in Brown and Burns from 2020 and Devon Williams in 2021.

In addition to Oliver and the guys who played this year, we also have 3 of our top rated recruits for 2020 and 2021 at LB in Brown and Burns from 2020 and Devon Williams in 2021.

I don’t think LB will be an issue for us next year.

I don’t think LB will be an issue for us next year.
Will we see the good MSM from the Nebraska and Wisconsin games or the bad MSM from earlier in the year? Will Braelen Oliver be back and fully healthy and play with the speed we saw in 2019? Will the freshman, who all took some lumps this year, be ready for expanded playing time next year?

Since all these questions could go either way, it makes a lot of sense to bring in Gibbens. At best he’s a starting LB and an impact player for a season. At worst he raises the floor and we don’t have to see LB play as bad as it was the first few games again.

"Do not be afraid of failure". Where did we hear that from?

I watched both his highlight tape from Abilene Christian as well as his high school highlight tape. My evaluation is below.

A couple of notes about his background
- His high school is an affluent area and excellent program north of San Antonio with a longtime great HC. He was well coached and well trained in HS
- Abilene Christian is a recent FCS member since 2013. Prior to that they had a pretty good run in D2 from 2005-2011 which likely helped propel the athletic program to D1. Currently a middling FCS program.

Strengths
- Excellent blitzer in both run and pass situations. Shows great timing and path on the blitz. Most effective as an edge blitzer
- Tremendous instincts in pass coverage. Great awareness of routes as well as reading of QB's eyes. Shows ability to flip hips and run if need be. Consistently makes plays in the passing game.
- Great effort at all times. Will chase guys down, although down the field.

Weaknesses
- Not a strong tackler. He gets guys to the ground, but doesn't overwhelm them with force. Mostly will drag tackle
- Speed is suspect. Struggles in pure chase situations. Can't always close and finish for a TFL
- Doesn't get off blocks all that well. He can avoid blocks well enough, but if he gets locked on doesn't have the ability to always disengage.

Overall
- I really like him for what he is. Physical profile and skills are average to below average for a B10 linebacker. I believe he was recruited correctly. No one missed him as a prospect. He was a little too light and slow to be recruited as a P5 LB. That said, he improved his body significantly in college as well played a lot of snaps at the college level and it shows. Projects as a potential starting LB, preferably at weak/boundary side. Ceiling = full time day 1 starter. Floor = Situational 3rd down rush/cover linebacker and special teamer. Predict he will have 3+ sacks and/or interceptions in 2021. Not a difference making stud, but just a rock solid core guy that makes winning plays. This is an excellent use of the transfer portal and speaks to building a roster by PJ Fleck. The Gophers will be better on defense with Jack Gibbens.

I watched both his highlight tape from Abilene Christian as well as his high school highlight tape. My evaluation is below.

A couple of notes about his background
- His high school is an affluent area and excellent program north of San Antonio with a longtime great HC. He was well coached and well trained in HS
- Abilene Christian is a recent FCS member since 2013. Prior to that they had a pretty good run in D2 from 2005-2011 which likely helped propel the athletic program to D1. Currently a middling FCS program.

Strengths
- Excellent blitzer in both run and pass situations. Shows great timing and path on the blitz. Most effective as an edge blitzer
- Tremendous instincts in pass coverage. Great awareness of routes as well as reading of QB's eyes. Shows ability to flip hips and run if need be. Consistently makes plays in the passing game.
- Great effort at all times. Will chase guys down, although down the field.

Weaknesses
- Not a strong tackler. He gets guys to the ground, but doesn't overwhelm them with force. Mostly will drag tackle
- Speed is suspect. Struggles in pure chase situations. Can't always close and finish for a TFL
- Doesn't get off blocks all that well. He can avoid blocks well enough, but if he gets locked on doesn't have the ability to always disengage.

Overall
- I really like him for what he is. Physical profile and skills are average to below average for a B10 linebacker. I believe he was recruited correctly. No one missed him as a prospect. He was a little too light and slow to be recruited as a P5 LB. That said, he improved his body significantly in college as well played a lot of snaps at the college level and it shows. Projects as a potential starting LB, preferably at weak/boundary side. Ceiling = full time day 1 starter. Floor = Situational 3rd down rush/cover linebacker and special teamer. Predict he will have 3+ sacks and/or interceptions in 2021. Not a difference making stud, but just a rock solid core guy that makes winning plays. This is an excellent use of the transfer portal and speaks to building a roster by PJ Fleck. The Gophers will be better on defense with Jack Gibbens.
Heck of a report. I'm a bit confused though. His weaknesses to me are rather glaring. Yet when you post under "Overall," you indicate that the Gophers will be better on defense with Jack Gibbens.

Too lazy to go through threads. But what was Oliver's injury? Did he get hurt in a game or pracetice? I see there is concern about him coming back at full speed in 2021.

I expect him to make the LB unit smarter and more competitive. I'm excited for 2021 Gophers. Just hope we are back to going to games in a normal capacity.

I expect him to make the LB unit smarter and more competitive. I'm excited for 2021 Gophers. Just hope we are back to going to games in a normal capacity.
Really no reason we can't get back to capacity if people get the vaccine in time.

Heck of a report. I'm a bit confused though. His weaknesses to me are rather glaring. Yet when you post under "Overall," you indicate that the Gophers will be better on defense with Jack Gibbens.

They are better with him because he has experience and a very specific skill set that other Gopher LB's have not yet demonstrated. Linebacker was by far the worst unit on defense in 2020. He brings another option. They got better as the year went on but there is still a ways to go as a unit.

The best case scenario in my opinion is that he becomes the 3rd LB in 3LB packages and the 2nd LB on passing downs. If he is starting and a 3 down player then that says more about the lack of development from guys like Oliver, Willis, Gordon and Lindenberg than anything else.

Again he is likely a role player. Don't expect him to come in and dominate and be an all B10 guy. That said it is a great use of a scholarship for 2021 because you can still recruit that scholarship for the 2022 class.

They are better with him because he has experience and a very specific skill set that other Gopher LB's have not yet demonstrated. Linebacker was by far the worst unit on defense in 2020. He brings another option. They got better as the year went on but there is still a ways to go as a unit.

The best case scenario in my opinion is that he becomes the 3rd LB in 3LB packages and the 2nd LB on passing downs. If he is starting and a 3 down player then that says more about the lack of development from guys like Oliver, Willis, Gordon and Lindenberg than anything else.

Again he is likely a role player. Don't expect him to come in and dominate and be an all B10 guy. That said it is a great use of a scholarship for 2021 because you can still recruit that scholarship for the 2022 class.
Good explanation. Thanks.

Didn't age well 🙂

Weaknesses

Physical profile and skills are average to below average for a B10 linebacker.
Nor this

Bottom line for me is that experience matters. A player still needs the requisite physical gifts, but Gibbens had played a lot of football (although at a lower level) and I think that helped him. No question he was a great addition and like MplsGopher, I want to extend him my appreciation for joining the Gophers this season.

Top Bottom