What really matters...

Rosemountian

Reaction score
Selling tickets:

So here it is. Give a candidate and tell whether they would increase ticket sales, decrease ticket sales, or sales or have no effect.

Increase
Leach
Frazier
Belloti (spelling?)

Remain the Same
Sumlin
Chryst

Decrease
Trestman
Any of the obscure coaches that people like to start threads about like Mike Grant, UMD Guy, NDSU Guy

Add to the list and say whether they would at more butts in seats, take butts out of seats, or not really have an affect

offensive coordinator from boise i forget his name, think it's bryce something. This guy gets quite a bit of national attention.

My thoughts: The administration cannot financially afford to hire anybody who is going to decrease ticket sales. They are smart enough to know this. The reason Brew was fired (more than football on the field) was because that stadium was going to have 30k people in it next year if they didn't make a move. If they hire a scrub, it would be worse in terms of ticket sales, than if they had kept Brewster.

I think the name of the coach would probably only help in ticket sales for a year or so. If we went 8-4 next season, we wouldn't have problems with ticket sales. If we have another dud, I think no matter who our coach is, the negativity around this program will make for low ticket sales.

I guess my point is that I hope "ticket sales" isn't the biggest factor in hiring a coach.

Not only would Leach put butts in the seats, but he would guarantee some Gopher coverage on ESPN. Show me one single high school football player who doesn't watch ESPN regularly. What did "master recruiter" Brewster ever do to get us talked about on ESPN?

A proven BCS winner.... and he is interested... and he has a chip on his shoulder... and he does not settle for mediocrity on the field or in the classroom.

Live up to your awesome new stadium, in a new beast of a division of the best conference in America. If anyone should understand second chances, its Maturi with his mulligan of a coaching hire (Brewster). It's gopher football with its mulligan of a stadium move (Metrodome). It's Leach with what should be a Mulligan of a coaching move (pissing off a lazy self-entitled brat whose daddy works for ESPN). I would hope that we can all learn from our mistakes.

Guys abuse is totally fine because the guy's dad is rich.

Signed,

The Gopher Hole

I thought it was winning that mattered. *sigh*

Signed,

The Gopher Hole

Abuse? Making someone sit down in a darkened (not "dark", mind you, just darkened) room is abuse now?

Abuse? Making someone sit down in a darkened (not "dark", mind you, just darkened) room is abuse now?

And telling him to leave practice when he was screwing around and being a distraction? Sounds exactly like what a coach SHOULD do.

Signed,

The Gopher Hole

We get it: you don't like Leach.

Were you in fact there when the alleged incident occurred? Do you know something we don't? If so, please share. We're all ears.

Khaliq seems to think we need to hire some kind of a saint. I'd rather win.

My point is to simply hire a coach who you think can win games. Don't worry about what the short term ticket sales impact is of potential coach X vs coach Y. This is what you have marketing department department and PR guy assisting the AD for. Hire a coach who can win BigTen games on a consistent basis and many of the problems of gopher football will solve themselves.

To me the biggest problem with the Leach/James incident is that you don't know how that might impact recruiting. Otherwise, I'd be fine with Leach and I think, getting back to the OP, he'd put fans in the seat and draw some national attention. With that said, I'm really getting on board with the idea of Bellotti and I think the credibility he would bring would also draw fans.

Top Bottom