What position are you most concerned about next year?

John Galt

Reaction score
Taking into account the current roster and assuming for the moment that the recruiting sites are fairly accurate, what is the biggest position of need for the Gophers?

First thought was the defensive backfield, but I feel much more confident now with the number of players we've recruited, especially the 3 JUCOs. Even if 2 of the players can contribute and we get TStoud back, we should have some decent depth. Plus, looking ahead at the 2012 schedule, we don't really face any great passing teams. Iowa loses their best receiver (McNutt), Northwestern will be w/o Persa, Wisky w/o Wilson, and Michigan St. w/o Cousins. Illinois, Michigan, and Nebraska all have QBs that would prefer to run.

So getting back to the initial question, I think the biggest position of need is wide receiver. Our top returning wideout is Brandon Green, who had a grand total of 15 catches. Jones suffered a serious injury and it will be hard to count on him, Moulton had a terrible time catching the ball at the end of the year, and DCT looked promising in the Iowa game but is still young. I don't have confidence that any other player on our roster is a B1G caliber wide receiver. I realize that in Limegrover's offense we won't be passing the ball 40 times per game, but we still need some threats. To me, this is why making sure we land Harbison and adding another receiver in addition to Fruechte is the biggest area of need from now until signing day. Thoughts???

I'd say safety and DL. Despite having Royston back this past year, I seen far too many safety breakdowns on the opposite side of him.

And honestly, if our DL can get a push, we wouldn't notice any lack of coverage by our DBs. Our DL started to come around towards the end of this season, but I want to see more consistency with them.

1 - DB
2 - WR
3 - DL

DB and WR are the two biggest question marks going into the season. I put DB higher because if Stoudermire does not get another year we basically have no one we can count on for sure back there. Vereen and Henderson are Ok but neither has been spectacular. No one else back there has shown much of anything to this point in their careers. JC guys are great because they are a little older and have some experience but they tend to be very hit and miss so we really have no way of knowing if we are getting a kid that can play or another Lewis. I still think it is not out of the realm of possibility that if Beal is healthy, that the coaches would take a look at sliding Cooper back to SS. Would fill a major position of need, keep him on the field, and give you a nice tackler at the SS position. Of course for that to be possible there has to be enough depth and talent at the LB spot to shift him there.

I have been on the WR thing for a while. I have major concerns here given that it is really hard to see who the next go to guy is going to be in this group. Due to the offensive style that Limegrover runs I put this behind DB but we need a credible threat in the passing game to open things up for Gray. Green is who he is which is just an average receiver, DCT and Jones showed some flashes of possible future potential but were also invisible in a lot of games and are both really raw. Plus with the injury Jones future is way up in the air because who knows if he will be as explosive when he comes back. Moulton looked decent early and then terrible late hard to say which version of him we will get next year.

On the DL I think there is some potential. We are going to need them to get pressure though to help cover for the weakness in the defensive backfield.

I don't know if this is a concern, but I think the most important position for someone to "step up" is RB. With Gray's running ability, having another guy who can have some big runs would be huge for this offense. You gotta believe the OL will continue to improve. WR is a concern, but I think RB is more critical to this offense.

John, I see DT. Can't imagine Hinojosa doesn't play as a true freshman. I think I read sometime ago Kill likes to run 3-4 WR sets at times, I don't see we have anywhere near the the depth for that. I think Kill and staff has done a great job in balancing the squad. Just too much in the first true recruiting class.

For me, it is between MLB and S that is the biggest question mark.

However, I am most concerned with QB. Our season is going to largely be decided on how Gray plays. If he continues to improve and he is the QB that played against Illinois, Iowa, MSU.....we are completely different team than if he is the QB who played against NMSU.

Safety and it is not close. I would have RB at the bottom of my list.

First before we count the JUCO commits we need to sign them. That should happen on Wednsday. After they're signed, we really won't know if we have an found any answers in the defensive backfield, until September. The same is true at running back, it's being addressed via a JUCO transfer, so once signed it appears at least to have been patched. I believe that in adding Fruchette and Harbison, plus development, the recievers seem to at least be servicable. Unanswered, is who will be the fourth defensive tackle?, to make the defensive line rotation work. I have Hageman, Legania, and Jacques penciled in. I'm not sure, that Bottecelli will be big enough by next fall, or that either of the recruits will be ready, so as things stand I think our biggest need is a DT.

First before we count the JUCO commits we need to sign them. That should happen on Wednsday. After they're signed, we really won't know if we have an found any answers in the defensive backfield, until September. The same is true at running back, it's being addressed via a JUCO transfer, so once signed it appears at least to have been patched. I believe that in adding Fruchette and Harbison, plus development, the recievers seem to at least be servicable. Unanswered, is who will be the fourth defensive tackle?, to make the defensive line rotation work. I have Hageman, Legania, and Jacques penciled in. I'm not sure, that Bottecelli will be big enough by next fall, or that either of the recruits will be ready, so as things stand I think our biggest need is a DT.

I thought Botticelli was decent last year, I think he has a really good chance to start next year.

I don't know if this is a concern, but I think the most important position for someone to "step up" is RB. With Gray's running ability, having another guy who can have some big runs would be huge for this offense. You gotta believe the OL will continue to improve. WR is a concern, but I think RB is more critical to this offense.

My feelings, too: RB and WR. We haven't had a dominating RB in years and Gray needs help.

dt, wr, s

in that order

i think gillium will surprise some people at rb

Many of you are forgetting that Tinsley was often either the best or second best defensive player on the field last year. Combine the fact that he is graduating and that an unproven Beal is coming off another blown out knee makes me more than a little concerned. In fact the whole middle of the defense has big question marks (DT, MLB, S). IF TS is coming back I have less concerns at CB. With TS, Vereen, a reinvigorated MC and probably a JUCO or two I tend to think we will be fine at CB (in terms of depth - not to mention I wouldn't doubt that one of Watkins, Bouie, or Wells takes a big step and becomes a contributor next year).

I thought Botticelli was decent last year, I think he has a really good chance to start next year.
I think he wore down too fast he's listed at 274 which might be generous. I think if he gets stronger and up to 290 he'll fit into the rotation. I'm just not sure he'll get there next year. Even if you pencil him in as the fourth DT you need a fifth to fill in when one of the first four gets dinged up.

I think everyone has nailed the positions I have concerns about: DL/DB/WR/RB, but I would also add middle linebacker to the list. Unless Beal is healthy and ready to go (which just seems like a longshot to me), I can't think of another LB on the roster who profiles to have the same type of size/power as Gary Tinsley. I would be really uncomfortable with Rallis in the middle as some have suggested might be the case.

The biggest thing to me is that this team lacks anyone special at WR/RB who can make big plays and keep the Gophers from needing to put long drives together to score. Of the current WR/RB's on the roster, only DCT (and maybe Marcus Jones...maybe) profiles as the type of guy who can make some big plays. We badly need a RB who can either make people miss in the hole or break a tackle or two, which we haven't had since Maroney.

On defense, I like a few of the guys on the line (Hageman, Perry, Cockran) but all are pretty much unrproven. If the Gophers could add an impact JUCO (at least at the level of McKinley/Small) that would be great. The defensive backfield will miss Royston, but if Stoudermire comes back, I am not sure Stoudermire/Vereen/Carter won't result in at least respectable CB play. At S, I am not sure who will step up, Manuel looks like a beast but hasn't played like it and the staff seems to be chasing S's all over the country in recent weeks.

GophersInIowa, I had to think about it but I like your comment. RB is not major concern of mine because I feel as the OL matures, good RB production will follow. I like our depth. If someone steps up and becomes special, that would be huge. It always seems we either have a QB or a RB, never the two at the same time.

1) Middle of our defense - this is a necessity, not a wish
2) RB - someone will step up. Will it be Kirkwood, Cobb, or even Gillum? Cole Banham may surprise.
3) Punting - I love Orseske, but his game-day confidence needs a boost. Peter Mortell will push him.
4) WR - I am one who thinks this is a non-factor over the long haul. The catches will be there. The loss of McKnight is not as big of a factor as most people think. He was a distinctly average receiver. Who is the new go-to guy? It's the guy that Gray wants to throw to in a go-to situation. It's up to him. The guys that can catch the ball will play; Gray's accuracy will determine how successful we will be.

I believe we have Engle coming in as a wr from Winona (?). He was discussed here in the spring/summer and was all-conference. Supposedly can run a 4.3 40. As others have mentioned re all the juco players and recruits, we really won't get a handle on how good they are until we can see them play.

I believe we have Engle coming in as a wr from Winona (?). He was discussed here in the spring/summer and was all-conference. Supposedly can run a 4.3 40. As others have mentioned re all the juco players and recruits, we really won't get a handle on how good they are until we can see them play.

4.3? Hardly. I would be thrilled if he can run a 4.5.

Greatest concern? That's easy. DT. We have no one that has proven they can dominate and cause havoc on the DL. Hageman has the greatest potential of our current DT's and may be the guy but we need someone else that can step in.

Certain positions you need someone to be "da man"

And RB is one of those positions where somebody needs to step up and want the rock. I agree with others that WR is a concern, but you recruit enough speedy, tall kids who aren't total spazzes catching the ball, and things will sort themselves out. And face it, with Gray, we're never going to be a pass first team.

But I agree with GiI that we aren't going to take a big step forward until we find a true BT caliber RB. We haven't had a stud RB you could count on to get that one key first down since Mason left. And the cupboard was pretty bare for him after Russell decided going to classes was for punks. Nothing against Duane Bennett. The kid did his best, and he had some huge games for us (like Iowa last year). But he wouldn't have been the #1 RB at most other BT schools. maybe not even #2.

I think our DL will be ok--- I have faith in our returning guys and think some of the Hageman's of the world could be due to finally play like we all hoped they would.

I worry about MLB and Safety. If Beal is healthy and plays, that would help me sleep at night but having no solid experience in the middle of our defense is scary.

A couple things:

1. I've never understood why the whole "Cooper-to-SS" meme gets so much play around here. Aside from the fact that he has played/practiced at LB the last four years, switching him to S makes us worse at both positions. He is more than fast enough to play S, but has neither the hips nor the coverage ability to play the position. In addition, as mentioned, you are throwing away the last four years he has spent learning how to play LB.

2. Botticelli played extensively at DT this last season. I don't know if there are any stats to track it, but I would bet that he played nearly as many plays as either of the starters. Unless he had some sort of chronic wasting disease, I don't understand why he needs to get bigger. Outside of Cooper and Stoudermire (if he returns), Botticelli is as close to a lock at a starting defensive position as anyone.

The above being said, we are hurting the most at defensive back. If Stoudermire is allowed to return, we can be serviceable, but if he doesn't, we are really screwed back there. The guys who have any appreciable playing experience are Vereen, Haviland, Carter, and Manuel, with Thompson and Wells seeing occasional spot duty, and Levine and Montgomery coming off redshirt/special teams duty. Out of this group plus the incoming recruits, we are somehow going to have to find 5-6 guys who are even serviceable enough to see the field.

On the subject of Stoudermire is there any timetable for when the NCAA will make that decision? Seems like there has to be some date where it has to become finalized for scholarship and school purposes. A lot is hinging on him coming back in terms of the defense, without him we are in trouble in the defensive backfield unless some of these JC guys turn out to be legit or some of the young guys take a massive step forward in development.

The scary part about this thread is that there are concerns listed at WR, DB (specifically safety), DT, MLB, and RB. That is a pretty big list and on top of that it is pretty much agreed that the offense needs Gray to stay healthy, if he goes down then what?

DT, MLB and Safety, the whole middle of the D. We need 5-6 playable DTs to rotate players the way the staff wants as well as just have injury depth and I only see three, unless Botticelli can get a lot bigger this off season. I don't see any MLBs unless Beal gets real healthy or Davis can play from the first practice next fall.
Worst is Safety, we had one very good safety this year. I think Thompson will be ready to play, but start is a big order. Playing freshmen at Safety is a disaster, so we need Baltazar to work out there, and hopefully Levine and Montgomery can play as well.
the whole middle of the d is scary, and whoever mentioned punter, may also be right.

d-line
db
punter-with 30,000 undergrads, someone has to be able to fog a mirror and be more consistent.

reverse cowboy

DT is a concern IMO, Hageman, Jacques and Bottecelli will be ok, but none has been consistent. I'm not sure Legania is a factor.
I think DB will be better off regardless of whether TS is back and much better off is he is back.
I could see Manuel switching to LB and playing alot of the young guys and all the JUCOs. I think there will be more quality depth than we had last year, more potential breakout players.
Punter needs to be addressed, we lost 2-3 games last year because of our punter.

4.3? Hardly. I would be thrilled if he can run a 4.5.

Greatest concern? That's easy. DT. We have no one that has proven they can dominate and cause havoc on the DL. Hageman has the greatest potential of our current DT's and may be the guy but we need someone else that can step in.

Did you watch the Illinois game? Hageman basically single-handedly destroyed their running game in the first half. Then he was double-teamed much of the rest of the game. He is starting to develop into a solid player. Safety is by far and away our greatest concern heading into next year. Think about it. We were so thin/bad that Christyn Lewis was a starting safety and he is gone. That says alot about the depth/talent at the safety position.

Top Bottom