What other schools will be hiring?

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
If the writing is on the wall for Richt at UGA, that's one team that will be looking for a new coach. What other schools do you see out there?

Just thinking about how many other suitors we will be facing at the end of the year.

If the writing is on the wall for Richt at UGA, that's one team that will be looking for a new coach. What other schools do you see out there?

Just thinking about how many other suitors we will be facing at the end of the year.

Colorado, Washington State, Eastern Michigan

Without a bowl appearance, I would think that the Zooker would be shown the door.

If it were anywhere other than IU, Lynch would be in serious danger, but I think they are satisfied with 3 to 6 wins per season.

I forgot about Colorado. Isn't the guy at the helm there the former "can't miss guy" from Boise? I'll be they thought they hired the right guy too.

I forgot about Colorado. Isn't the guy at the helm there the former "can't miss guy" from Boise? I'll be they thought they hired the right guy too.

He was, though I believe Peterson was his coordinator there. The guy before Hawkins was Dirk Koetter who left Boise for Arizona State and crashed and burned there as well.

Highly likely:

Colorado
Georgia
Illinois
Vanderbilt (current interim)
Colorado St.
Memphis
Eastern Michigan

Possible:

Maryland
Akron

Retirement possibilities:

Penn St.
Kansas St.
Virginia Tech-Unlikely and probably internal replacement if so.

All in all, not that impressive a list if the retirement jobs don't open.

Highly likely:

Colorado
Georgia
Illinois
Vanderbilt (current interim)
Colorado St.
Memphis
Eastern Michigan

Possible:

Maryland
Akron

Retirement possibilities:

Penn St.
Kansas St.
Virginia Tech-Unlikely and probably internal replacement if so.

All in all, not that impressive a list if the retirement jobs don't open.

Georgia, Minnesota, Illinois, and Colorado are major, desirable jobs. You (the royal you, not you specifically) can throw out any number of drawbacks to these jobs but they are major, major jobs. If these are the top 4 open jobs, the top 4 candidates should go to these 4.

Georgia, Minnesota, Illinois, and Colorado are major, desirable jobs. You (the royal you, not you specifically) can throw out any number of drawbacks to these jobs but they are major, major jobs. If these are the top 4 open jobs, the top 4 candidates should go to these 4.

I guess I just meant that only UGa is significantly better then MN. We are on par with the rest unless of course PSU/VT come open. Also, compared to what ended up open this past season (USC, ND,Tennessee, Texas Tech) this list looks puny.

I wouldn't count out Michigan firing RichRod just yet.

Good thread. Other openings will prove a big factor when getting the next coach.

Wouldn't worry about Va Tech. If it comes open the DC, Bud Foster I believe has that one locked up.

I personally wouldn't be shocked if Penn State decided to hire from within.

I'm also going to toss North Carolina out there with all the extra issues going around Chapel Hill these days.

Wouldn't worry about Va Tech. If it comes open the DC, Bud Foster I believe has that one locked up.

I personally wouldn't be shocked if Penn State decided to hire from within.

I'm also going to toss North Carolina out there with all the extra issues going around Chapel Hill these days.

Good point. Brew would give his left arm to be candidate for that job. If things had gone even moderately well for him here, he would be. But they will be a serious contender for top candidates as well if Butch is let go.

Seat Heat Rank - Per: CoachingHotSeat.com

Per: http://www.coacheshotseat.com

Seat Heat Rank
1- Tim Brewster - Minnesota
2- Paul Wulff - Washington State
3- Mike Sherman Texas A&M
4- Mike Locksley New Mexico
5- Dan Hawkins - Colorado
6- Mark Richt - Georgia
7- G. McMackin - Hawaii
8- Dennis Erickson - Arizona State
9- Butch Davis - North Carolina
10- Todd Dodge - North Texas

If it were anywhere other than IU, Lynch would be in serious danger, but I think they are satisfied with 3 to 6 wins per season.

Lynch? Are you kidding me?

Lynch isn't going anywhere. This is Indiana's best team since the Mallory Era. To be able to get the playmakers he has on offense like Doss, Willis, Belcher, etc. has been remarkable, and his recruiting classes have gotten better each year. They should have won 7 games last year (memo to Brew - Indiana actually WAS close to getting several other wins last year) and probably will get to 6 or 7 this year. I wouldn't be shocked at all if they beat Michigan this week.

Per: http://www.coacheshotseat.com

Seat Heat Rank
1- Tim Brewster - Minnesota
2- Paul Wulff - Washington State
3- Mike Sherman Texas A&M
4- Mike Locksley New Mexico
5- Dan Hawkins - Colorado
6- Mark Richt - Georgia
7- G. McMackin - Hawaii
8- Dennis Erickson - Arizona State
9- Butch Davis - North Carolina
10- Todd Dodge - North Texas

I cannot believe Zooker is not on this list. If I were an Illini fan I'd be furious.

Why is Erickson on the list? I know last year was bad and all, but they should have EASILY beaten wisconsin on the road, and were very competitive against Oregon. If not for Steven Threet's 27 turnovers in the red zone they would have won that game. Two more than respectable showings against top 10 teams, one on the road. I don't get it.

Les Miles of LSU could find a way to get himself fired by the end of the year.

We have to hope that North Carolina, Colorado, and Washington State don't fire their coaches. I really don't think we are in any competition with Georgia, meaning I don't think the guys that Georgia would be interested in would quit their current jobs to work at MN (because of prestige or salary, etc.).

The obvious replacement for Richt is Kirby Smart. He played at Georgia and is the D Coordinator at Alabama. If Richt is fired, I would be shocked if Kirby Smart didn't get that job.

So that leaves all of the realistic candidates to choose between UNC, WSU, and Colorado. UNC is probably a step above the U, so I really hope Butch Davis stays where he is at.

We have to hope that North Carolina, Colorado, and Washington State don't fire their coaches. I really don't think we are in any competition with Georgia, meaning I don't think the guys that Georgia would be interested in would quit their current jobs to work at MN (because of prestige or salary, etc.).

The obvious replacement for Richt is Kirby Smart. He played at Georgia and is the D Coordinator at Alabama. If Richt is fired, I would be shocked if Kirby Smart didn't get that job.

So that leaves all of the realistic candidates to choose between UNC, WSU, and Colorado. UNC is probably a step above the U, so I really hope Butch Davis stays where he is at.

Colorado will replace Hawkins, no doubt, new coach will start their era of PAC12 competition.
Georgia might replace Richt, talking to a Georgia fan last year in vegas, he mentioned the administration very well could force Richt to replace coordinators(similar to Zook this year), he mentioned that Richt is stubbornly loyal to his coaches. I think he gets another year.

WSU is not a better job than we are, not by a long shot, Texas A&M lost again last night, they could be in the market save for a big comeback later. UNC would be stupid to replace Davis, unless he was involved in their scandal with the agents. This would be a tough one for Golden to turn down if it came up. ASU would have to be very impatient.

Overall, I'd say Colorado and Illinois are our most likely rivals for a coach. UNC, A&M and Georgia would be much more desirable jobs if they came free, things aren't as dire in those programs as some of the others.
Best Scenario: JoePa announces retirement after season, has hand picked assistant coach team for bowl practices, Golden sees writing on the wall, decides to take 2.5 mil from us, bob's your uncle and we win the 2014 Rose Bowl against Utah. sigh:cool:

He would be a candidate but I don't know if he is the obvious replacement. I think Georgia would make an attempt atleast at getting Will Muschamp from Texas. He also played at Georgia and has more experience than Kirby Smart, in fact was Kirby's boss at LSU. If the Georgia job opens I believe Texas will have to give Will a date by where Mack Brown will retire and it cannot be 5 years out and expect him to sit around as coach in waiting for that long.

UNC is probably a step above the U, so I really hope Butch Davis stays where he is at.

I wouldn't count on this being true for long. It's looking more and more like the ban hammer will fall and if it does would a coach with options choose to walk into that buzz saw? Even if no penalties are handed down soon would the threat of potential penalties make coaches think twice?

I hope Mike Sherman gets a little longer leash at Texas A&M. Jeron Johnson did a great Sherman-era in Green Bay imitation of Brett Favre last night with 5 TD passes and 4 interceptions (including the dagger). Of course, it is Texas A&M and even though they've been spotty the last decade, the expectations are always high down there.

We should throw everything we can at Golden. He should be target #1. In the past few years he's interviewed at Tennessee, UCLA and USC, so I'm not confident he'd consider us, but it's worth a shot. He'd have instant credibility.

If we hire Golden, would this message board become Golden's Goldens?

Top Bottom