What makes Jerry Kill such a great coach for the U

hungan1

Reaction score
It is kinda dead here before NSD.

I decided to re-post this old article that have been posted here before that I find very refreshing to read again.

There is no doubt he is the right coach hire for the program at the right time. Timing is everything in life.

Give a shout out to Tony Dungy. Thanks to his recommendation, the U hired Jerry Kill. Let's hope we can keep him here!

http://buyersguide.coachesdirectory.com/article/building-a-program-with-fundamentals--jerry-kill--university-of-minnesota.html

Very caring, sincere, knowledgable, will push to get your life in order to succeed and loves football.

It is kinda dead here before NSD.

I decided to re-post this old article that have been posted here before that I find very refreshing to read again.

There is no doubt he is the right coach hire for the program at the right time. Timing is everything in life.

Give a shout out to Tony Dungy. Thanks to his recommendation, the U hired Jerry Kill. Let's hope we can keep him here!
http://buyersguide.coachesdirectory.com/article/building-a-program-with-fundamentals--jerry-kill--university-of-minnesota.html

Also thanks to Joe Maturi for getting "one" thing right. He humbled himself sought advice and when it came time to act made the right decision. Even if Kill wasn't his first choice(?) he did hire Coach Kill.

Great teacher, organized, smart, holds the players accountable, hard working, solid ambassador for the U; and we are a good long-term fit. He has us positioned to long-term be a solid, consistent program. The next couple of years will be interesting I'm not convinced our O philosophies, Limegrover, Zebrowski, et al can take us to that next level but even if that proves to be true we are in better shape now than at any time in 50 years.

Personally, I think he would be good and well-received anywhere. But, if he can get some world class facilities built, he has found a perfect fit in MN and can really entrench himself and do something special, with endless support from the community. That's nearly impossible to find.

He's got an unbelievable work ethic, he's very intelligent (while not coming off as arrogant or superior to those around him), he's resilient and humble. Very approachable, with a relaxed, shoot-the-breeze demeanor. Yet, he takes his role as a football coach, and his responsibility to mold disciplined young men (not only football players), both very seriously. I think that's a decent nutshell to cram it into.

Looking at the entire national landscape, I can't think of a single coach that is a better fit for Gopher fans' "Minnesotan sensibilities" than Jerry Kill. There may be coaches out there with bigger names, that are more flashy, and would turn this program around slightly faster, but none of them would do it in a way that garnered such respect and admiration from the people of MN.

He kind of embodies the essence of the hearty, self-sufficient, blue-collar, yet Minnesota nice and always-willing-to-help, disposition that you find in nearly all of out-state MN, and a good number of areas in the Metro. The kind of guy that you can envision as your favorite teacher in school oryour trusted lifelong neighbor. Basically, your average Minnesotan has no trouble identifying with this guy.

Great man. Inspirational in a genuine, gritty, spiritual and emotional way. Not an extorted, snythetic, industrial way like the Urban Meyers, Nick Sabans, or Steve Spurriers of the world. Great coach. Given a level playing field he's one of the best around. But, he'll never stoop to anyone else's standards, and he will always do it in a way in which he can go home and sleep at night. He tops the lists of "Coaches you would most want your son to play for," no matter who they are polling, for a reason.

We're witnessing a very rare display of competency, fierce competitiveness, and integrity. Drink it in, folks. If Kill keeps it up, his head will be prominantly placed on the Gophers Athletics Mount Rushmore. He's very close to taking this thing to the next level, and he's doing it in a way that maintains integrity of the University. After all, as alumni/students/well-rounded and educated citizens of MN, do we really want to turn into a meathead dog and pony show like and SEC schools, Ohio State, or Florida State? I know I don't.

A few names were being bantered around here in GH and elsewhere:

Jeff Horton, to go from interim to HC
Scott Linehan, being plugged by Jeff Horton
Marc Trestman
Kevin Sumlin
Tony Dungy
Gary Patterson
Randy Edsall
Brady Hoke
Mike Leach
Al Golden

Initially, there was talk about hiring a "big name" coach. No big name without a blemish of their own wanted to come here.

After Brewster left the program in severe stress, the U HC job was considered toxic by many.

I remembered when Kill was first hired that he said that the program was in worst shape than he thought.

He started cleaning house first with players who were not going to classes, were on the verge of flunking out, or with bad attitudes.

He marched out Jew Jew Edwards and others.

He did see something in RaShede Hageman, and he gave him a second chance to turn his life around. RaShede was part of the "Jew Crew". Look at where he is at.

On the other hand, as a senior it came too little too late for Michael Carter to turn around as a football player with NFL potential. It took a call by Jerry Kill to his cousin Tyrone Carter for him to turn his attitude around.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_21899072/gophers-football-how-tyrone-carter-saved-cousin-michaels

Top Bottom