what is the #1 reason why tubby is 32-40 in bt play?

• Total voters

Go4

Reaction score

you forgot the one that would win for sure. JOEL MATURI!

Not enough scoring/giving up too many points in 40 of the games.

Since this is the year he was 6 games under .500, I'll have to say injuries.

probably because of the 4th most important member of his staff, Saul.

Where is the "all of the above" button? He has had bad luck. Certain players have not developed or executed. Some of the recruits haven't panned out, some defected, some injuries.

Bottom line is, he did a great job his first three years, and had a bad year this year. His system didn't match his players and he couldn't adjust when he lost too much. I have a good feeling, now that the pain has subsided, that Smith will have a great year next year. Why? He's a competitor. I've got a hunch that Andre Hollins is going to be for real. We'll be a much better shooting team (Holllins, Oto, Mo, Elliason, Welch(?)) and we still will have the huge size advantage that Tubby loves. I have a feeling Tubby will put this thing back to right.

RS3 has not developed at all. It makes me sad that he as such potential, but is not able to dominate inside. How many turnovers has he had where he wasn't assertive/aggressive enough to go out to the ball and it looked like a bad pass? Too many, imho.

>>...he wasn't assertive/aggressive enough...<<

At 6-11, athletic, and with his bloodline, there's a reason III was available to Minnesota.

Gopher Lady

Gopher Lady votes for bad coaching ?

That surprises me.

>>...he wasn't assertive/aggressive enough...<<

At 6-11, athletic, and with his bloodline, there's a reason III was available to Minnesota.

There was a game a couple weeks ago where they Gophers were on a final drive of the game to try to win it and a pass to RS3 resulted in a turnover and sealed the loss.

I saw the news on the #4 and had to rewind that play over and over to see what happened. The video was edited in such a way that you had to look really hard to see who the pass was going to, but you could eventually see who it was. :(

How can you not say the #1 reason is roster turnover? I mean, if we keep every single player that has been recruited and signed here, you're telling me that record is not VASTLY different? The reasons for the roster turnover isn't important in this case, the fact is, with a FULL squad the past two years, Tubby's BT record is nowhere near 32-40. Bad coaching, bad fortunes, lack of execution....all of that is a non-factor if we have all the talent on this team that was recruited to play here IMO.

Noticed that myself.

GL has been kind of quiet lately. I miss her posts.

She must be exercising the "Bambi Rule".

I need to do that myself more on here.

Guard recruiting has sucked no matter how you look at it. Devoe was the only "good guard recruit" in four years, and he had an attitude by the fall of his soph year. There was clearly bad luck this year, but winding up 6-12 can only happen if Tubby does not recruit one competent point guard in four years.

She must be exercising the "Bambi Rule".

I need to do that myself more on here.

What rule is that? The only Bambi rule I know is that on the last day of deer hunting, if it's brown, it's down.

What rule is that? The only Bambi rule I know is that on the last day of deer hunting, if it's brown, it's down.

Well - you learn something new every day- here I thought it was the Bambi rule but it's actuall the Thumpers rule. From Wiki: The character Thumper first appears in the film Bambi, watching as Bambi is first presented as the young prince to the creatures of the forest. He remarks that Bambi is "kinda wobbly" but is reproved by his mother who makes him repeat what his father had impressed upon him that morning, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all".[3] This moral is now known by such names as the "Thumperian principle", "Thumper's rule" or "Thumper's law".[4]

Thumperian Principle sounds the most impressive.

How can you not say the #1 reason is roster turnover? I mean, if we keep every single player that has been recruited and signed here, you're telling me that record is not VASTLY different? The reasons for the roster turnover isn't important in this case, the fact is, with a FULL squad the past two years, Tubby's BT record is nowhere near 32-40. Bad coaching, bad fortunes, lack of execution....all of that is a non-factor if we have all the talent on this team that was recruited to play here IMO.

Right on, Monty! Good Grief! If we were experiencing dramatic roster turnover due to the success leading to NBA lottery picks, that would be one thing. But we're experiencing roster turnover due to everything from maryjane to homesickness.

Roster turnover has to be #1, but its true, this Tubby tenure has been a perfect storm of a multitude of destructive forces culminating in an epic collapse this season.

Here's hoping for some roster stability and some player development.

Go Gophers!

I Voted "Bad Coaching" By Saul

Seriously it's a combination of all of those things listed.

I think it's from lack of polls telling the coach/players/administration/fans/student section to do.

I chose roster turnover as the question asked for the number 1 reason. If the Gophers had Trevor and Royce last year and had Royce, Paul, Justin and Devoe this year, Tubby would have a much better conference record. Of course, Tubby played a hand in some of the roster turnover. All of the choices have played a role though. I do think the phrase "plan better" applies to Tubby and his staff. What are we going to do if we don't land Cory Joseph? Why is our junior PG academically ineligible for second semester? We've had 4 years to recruit another knockdown shooter and have not done it. We've had 4 years to recruit a go to offensive players and have not done it. We've recruited one PF in 4 years and zero true PG's (Devoe combo, Andre Hollins combo). We've got 4 guys who should only play C on the roster, wings who would be better playing faster, and only one shooter for the inside/out game.

Monty,

>> Bad coaching, bad fortunes, lack of execution....all of that is a non-factor if we have all the talent on this team that was recruited to play here IMO.<<

You may be vastly over-rating the home team's talent. Even with the injured and the defector, we were not an elite Big Ten roster by any means.

You may be vastly over-rating the home team's talent. Even with the injured and the defector, we were not an elite Big Ten roster by any means.

False.

With a starting lineup of Al, Blake, Royce, Trevor, RSIII, and a bench of Williams, Devoe, Cobbs, Carter, Iverson, and Walker (among others), this team is a top 4 seed in the dance, and the #3-4 Big Ten team at worst.

Six out of what would have been this team's 11-man rotation was gone for all/most of this season due to injury or transfer.

Top Bottom