What is PJ Fleck's secret recipe for success?

hungan1

Reaction score
What makes PJ Fleck tick?

As a dynamic energetic coach, he is a mentor, is a good judge of talent for both coaches and players.

Genuinely, he is interested in everyone's success. He gives his coaches a lot of freedom to develop. He is constantly plugged into the coaching world. The up and coming young talent in particular. He let the coaches coach, and teaches the players to lead.

He understands the human dynamics involved behind success. It is about people and genuinely caring for their well being, about leadership at all levels, and people engaging together rowing the boat in the same direction - that is the secret sauce. This guy can easily be a CEO of a successful company.

He is not afraid to aim high, and actively pursues it.

He is smart enough to have coaches on his staff trained to do multiple roles. Simon and Harbaugh stepped in and took over for Kirk Ciarrocca when he left. He has a backup plan.

The amazing thing is that he encourages his assistants to follow their own dreams. He supports them fully.

My first impression of him is, this guy can't be real. No one has that much infectious energy and enthusiasm. He makes winners out of people. He preaches living life to the fullest and being committed. He recognizes that failure is part of growth.

"Row The Boat" and the "HYPRR Culture" threw me for a loop at first. Love it or hate it, this is exactly the method to his madness that breeds success! He says up front that the Gophers are not for everyone. He wants players who want to be Gophers.

I'd like to give Mark Coyle a huge hug like finding a long lost brother. This is a home run hire! I hope he finishes his career here and bring those elusive Natties. :love:

What is behind H.Y.P.R.? https://www.everydayshouldbesaturda...s-either-but-minnesota-is-gonna-do-some-stuff

Call me crazy but I've never felt PJ was all that "unreal"... like maybe it's life experience or exposure to different people but PJ's "thing" seems entirely plausible as far as that being who he is.

Call me crazy but I've never felt PJ was all that "unreal"... like maybe it's life experience or exposure to different people but PJ's "thing" seems entirely plausible as far as that being who he is.
Someone said it in another thread and I agree - PJ's message and culture is not as unique as it is made out to be, he is just a great and very flamboyant motivator, so people notice the guy. He is unique in how he does it, but many successful coaches do similar things, he just has his own very effective twist on it.

To go from being a WR coach to a FBS HC and have that level of success right way, at a program without much history to brag about (WMU) is pretty remarkable. Given what he’s accomplished here in just 3 years, we now know it wasn’t a fluke. He’s clearly one of a handful of elite HCs in the country.

To go from being a WR coach to a FBS HC and have that level of success right way, at a program without much history to brag about (WMU) is pretty remarkable. Given what he’s accomplished here in just 3 years, we now know it wasn’t a fluke. He’s clearly one of a handful of elite HCs in the country.

I think it comes down to empowerment and accountability. And he walks the talk better than anyone I’ve ever met known on a personal level.

Everything about having your best players be your hardest workers, everything about a player led team, that creates a much higher level of accountability. High performance cultures with levels of accountability helps people push to accomplish more than they can on their own.

PJ is all about helping his players, his assistants, the University, the patients at Masonic, etc. get to where they want to go. And he gives opportunity for each to earn those opportunities. He truly seems happy for guys like KC when they leave.

I think it comes down to empowerment and accountability. And he walks the talk better than anyone I’ve ever met known on a personal level.

Everything about having your best players be your hardest workers, everything about a player led team, that creates a much higher level of accountability. High performance cultures with levels of accountability helps people push to accomplish more than they can on their own.

PJ is all about helping his players, his assistants, the University, the patients at Masonic, etc. get to where they want to go. And he gives opportunity for each to earn those opportunities. He truly seems happy for guys like KC when they leave.
You know Fleck on a personal level?

Was supposed to read as he seems to walk his mantra better than anyone I’ve met in real life.
It's not something new among HC coaching ranks...he just very vocally markets it, constantly.

It's not something new among HC coaching ranks...he just very vocally markets it, constantly.

That’s my point. Many coaches talk about it. Fleck lives and breathes the culture he is asking his players to buy into.

That’s my point. Many coaches talk about it. Fleck lives and breathes the culture he is asking his players to buy into.
My point is many coaches do and have done the same things you had in the post I responded to, but don't promote it, constantly. So many walk the walk, and don't feel the need to constantly talk about it.

Outside of wins and losses, probably my favorite part of Fleck is he seems to have a good sense of humor about himself. He gets that he's extreme and can poke fun at it at times.

Top Bottom