What is KenPom seeing that I am not seeing?

Lakers612

Banned
Reaction score
KenPom currently has us at 31..

I see the Gophers as a 20-25 ranked team. Can't say I've seen every ranked team this year, so it would be pretty audacious of me to say that I know for sure the Gophers are one of the best 25 teams in the country...

But I have seen previously ranked Gopher teams, and these guys we have right now seem better, and have put up a near-flawless resume so far.

So, question for someone who understands KemPom...

Why does KenPom's metrics have us kind of lower than the general consensus on this board? Where are the Gophers "underperforming" that would have us at 31 as opposed to 23, which is where Marcus Fuller put us this week in his AP25

I'm no expert on KenPom, but it has been reported here that his data reaches into last year for another couple of weeks. Current numbers include the putrid end of the season the Gophers had last year. When those are "purged" it could change the ranking.

I'm no expert on KenPom, but it has been reported here that his data reaches into last year for another couple of weeks. Current numbers include the putrid end of the season the Gophers had last year. When those are "purged" it could change the ranking.

I've heard that too, but I also heard that last season's stats are no longer relevant starting sometime in December...

I guess that is my question... Are last season's numbers still impacting us in KenPom?

I've heard that too, but I also heard that last season's stats are no longer relevant starting sometime in December...

I guess that is my question... Are last season's numbers still impacting us in KenPom?

Late January is the end of last season being included. It's in a thread below.

KenPom currently has us at 31..

I see the Gophers as a 20-25 ranked team. Can't say I've seen every ranked team this year, so it would be pretty audacious of me to say that I know for sure the Gophers are one of the best 25 teams in the country...

But I have seen previously ranked Gopher teams, and these guys we have right now seem better, and have put up a near-flawless resume so far.

So, question for someone who understands KemPom...

Why does KenPom's metrics have us kind of lower than the general consensus on this board? Where are the Gophers "underperforming" that would have us at 31 as opposed to 23, which is where Marcus Fuller put us this week in his AP25

What is holding us back on kenpom would be our offensive numbers. Kenpom includes your offensive and defensive efficiency/stats to go along with your who you have beat and lost too. Kenpom ranks our offensive numbers pretty low. Our defensive numbers are very good, but the offensive stats/efficiency ratings is what is holding us back at this point.

Sometimes the RPI ranking seems to match a team much more accurately, other times it's the KenPom. At this point in the season I think KenPom is a much better reflection of the Gophers. I see them much closer to #31 (KenPom) than #5 (RPI).

That doesn't mean by the end of the season the RPI won't be the better reflection.

Yup. Elite defensive numbers so far, average offensive efficiency numbers. Our eFG% is not good.

Sometimes the RPI ranking seems to match a team much more accurately, other times it's the KenPom. At this point in the season I think KenPom is a much better reflection of the Gophers. I see them much closer to #31 (KenPom) than #5 (RPI).

That doesn't mean by the end of the season the RPI won't be the better reflection.

Not that I really have understood Sagarin either, but they have us at 30 through last night's game. They also have a column for recent which shows us at 24.

Yup. Elite defensive numbers so far, average offensive efficiency numbers. Our eFG% is not good.

And that would match the eye test.

You can't look at our offense and say "elite" by any stretch of the word.

Top Bottom