What is 3.14?

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
No, i'm not thinking about the approximate value of pi.

Its the average Rivals ratings for the BIG Coaches 2011 All-Conference squad minus the Neb. kicker.
The breakdown includes 5*-1; 4*-5; 3*-12 and 2*-4.

FYI, Russell Wilson was a 2* recruit for NCS.

One could do more analysis on the rankings but I would guess the majority of starter on BIG squads are 3* thus a higher percentage named to the honorary squad. Plus 5*'s are a rare item in a normal BIG recruting season.

I did the same look two years ago and I think there were a couple of 2* named also.

Sorry, but the thread title is way too good not to post this...

314-pie-mind-blown.jpg

I like the recruiting class we have coming in and am not concerned about how many stars a guy has anymore, but the numbers you're showing don't paint the entire picture. I believe there are about 100-150 players who get labeled as a 4-star, and 1000+ that are 2-star players out of high school. The percentage of 4-star players earning all B1G is therefore much higher than 2-star players.

I like the recruiting class we have coming in and am not concerned about how many stars a guy has anymore, but the numbers you're showing don't paint the entire picture. I believe there are about 100-150 players who get labeled as a 4-star, and 1000+ that are 2-star players out of high school. The percentage of 4-star players earning all B1G is therefore much higher than 2-star players.

Ditto. Plus, when (and, technically speaking, if) Kill starts winning, the number of stars will rise little by little.

Hey John its slow on GH and I though this may be interesting. Ratings don't always tell the story on incoming recruits but what else can the common fan look at?

Here are are %'s the 5-4-3-2, the number of each and five year average taken from the Rivals rankings during 2007-2011 for the Big Ten teams.

5*-15-1%-5
4*-260-20%-52
3*-694-53%-139
2*-331-25%-66

The weighted average comes out to 2.97*'s. The weighted All-BIG is 3.14.

Even though there are more 2* than 4* recruits, the percentage of 4* All-BIG is higher than 2*; 23% compared to 18% at least this year.

This if kinda fun to look at but not sure what it the numbers tell that much.

Where is MV....

Hey John its slow on GH and I though this may be interesting. Ratings don't always tell the story on incoming recruits but what else can the common fan look at?

Here are are %'s the 5-4-3-2, the number of each and five year average taken from the Rivals rankings during 2007-2011 for the Big Ten teams.

5*-15-1%-5
4*-260-20%-52
3*-694-53%-139
2*-331-25%-66

The weighted average comes out to 2.97*'s. The weighted All-BIG is 3.14.

Even though there are more 2* than 4* recruits, the percentage of 4* All-BIG is higher than 2*; 23% compared to 18% at least this year.

This if kinda fun to look at but not sure what it the numbers tell that much.

....when you need him? He could slice and dice those numbers into cold slaw. Then the only question would be to figure out what he said.

I think stars are decent short-hand, but they don't tell the whole story. Can't remember who did the research, but it seems to me someone posted here awhile back that the percentage of 5-stars and 4-stars that go on to NFL careers is highly correlated. It gets dicier when you get down to the 3-stars and 2-stars and I'm confident in Kill's (and his assistants') ability to find the guys with the requisite athletic ability who fit what the are trying to accomplish on the field and in the classroom.

Many 2-star recruits can become really good players. No team in the position where the Gophers are is going to suddenly end up with 8-10 4-star guys and out-recruit OSU, Florida, and USC. It just doesn't work like that.

The key is getting 2-3 4-star guys (i.e. Pirsig, Hayes) and identifying under-the-radar talent and developing it. The teams that do that the best will move up and begin winning 7-9 games per year. Once we reach that level, Kill and staff will have a much better chance of selling the U when they are sitting in living rooms of the 4/5 star guys.

Top Bottom