What I Don't Understand

Duluthguy

Reaction score
There are two things I don't understand about this forum.

1. When a person posts a thread that even hints at being critical of Brewster, he is quickly called a Brewsterhater, a fairweather fan, a whiner or worse. Yet criticizing players by name seems to be totally acceptable. Brewster is a paid professional. The players are college kids that were asked to commit to the U by Brewster or Mason, and they took a chance on a school with a less than storied program. At one time, most of the people on this forum welcomed the players with open arms, now it's "get so-and-so off the field." Some even trash an entire class of players by proclaiming the team will be much better off after all the seniors leave. That must really make them feel great about senior day. Some of the players that are dumped on are Brewster recruits; some players have regressed from last year to this year; some star JUCOs aren't making a dent in the program. How do we know Brewster is coaching up the kids to achieve their full potential or using the best schemes for their talents?

2. Why does Brewster get a free pass when:
A. Considering what's written above, if you think certain players shouldn't be on the field, that's Brewster's fault.
B. If you think Cosgrove sucks, that's Brewster's fault.
C. If you don't like Fisch, that's Brewster's fault.
D. If you think it hurt the team switching from the spread to the pro style offense, that's Brewster's fault.

NO. I do not believe Brewster should be fired. Right now, that's just silly talk. However, I think if someone levels factual, potentially justifiable criticism at Brewster, logical, fact-based responses would serve a greater purpose than simply flaming the poster. Why is it such a sin to point out perceived weaknesses or mistakes of a professional who accepted a job in the public eye? I only hope the players don't read this board. Imagine how hard it would be to play your heart out when you know many fans are against you.

"Duluthguy
Junior Member Join Date: Oct 2009

What I Don't Understand

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are two things I don't understand about this forum. "

Only two????

i guess i havent read anyone being critical of brew as much as being over the top fire brew he cant coach! there are concerns about brew and his coaching but no one on here can make an arguement without fire him this or we should have hired _____! if we could have civil debates this forum would be a lot better! as far as calling out players, i think its pretty disgusting. these kids are amatuer athletes and they dont deserve to be treated this way. weber needs to play better yes, but we dont need all the hate msg's just because some of the gh's want gray because he had 4 stars by his name when we recruited him.

It's the nature of the beast. The coach and the QB always seem to
get more blame or praise than they deserve depending how the game
went. This board is NOTHING compared to many boards after a tough
loss.

Usually people get pretty frustrated after an ugly loss and to be honest,
I just stayed away until today -- 4 days later because I knew it would
be pretty bad. Actually, it's not as bad as I thought although I did not
go back to the juicy post-game comments on here either.

I guess I am feeling lousy enough after a rough loss like last Saturday and
just don't need to be constantly reminded about each and every stupid
play for the next few days. I need to get away from it and let it go, and I
know there are a lot of Gopher fans who would not want to hear what I
have to say after a lousy game anyways!!!

I think the Brewster thing hinges on the fact that the vast majority of Brewster critiques that are shouted down immediately (at least, the ones that I get really riled up about) are calling for a new coach, or saying that Brewster has failed.
I, personally, see Brewster as very open to intelligent criticism on a lot of points. But the idea of getting rid of him is, right now, built on incredibly faulty logic. To anyone who understands the state of the program (but doesn't have inside information about him as a coach) the idea of firing him is absurd. So I and others get a little up in arms about that type of talk, in part in an effort to stem any rising 'fire Brewster' sentiment that will only hurt the program.

That said, you seem to agree in principle that firing Brewster would be an obvious mistake, so maybe you're referencing some posts and responses I haven't seen?

Best post in a long time

:clap:

I think the Brewster thing hinges on the fact that the vast majority of Brewster critiques that are shouted down immediately (at least, the ones that I get really riled up about) are calling for a new coach, or saying that Brewster has failed.
I, personally, see Brewster as very open to intelligent criticism on a lot of points. But the idea of getting rid of him is, right now, built on incredibly faulty logic. To anyone who understands the state of the program (but doesn't have inside information about him as a coach) the idea of firing him is absurd. So I and others get a little up in arms about that type of talk, in part in an effort to stem any rising 'fire Brewster' sentiment that will only hurt the program.

That said, you seem to agree in principle that firing Brewster would be an obvious mistake, so maybe you're referencing some posts and responses I haven't seen?

I will just add that there are some that seem to repeat the same thing over and over. It gets old when someone constantly rips on Brewster, Weber, or anyone else. Brewster deserves criticism and most will do that from time to time, but some can go "over the top" (I love that movie by the way) with their criticisms.

I will just add that there are some that seem to repeat the same thing over and over. It gets old when someone constantly rips on Brewster, Weber, or anyone else. Brewster deserves criticism and most will do that from time to time, but some can go "over the top" (I love that movie by the way) with their criticisms.

yes....yes......yes........i DO own that sylvester stallone classic on DVD!

and remember: you must always turn the hat backwards for FULL POWER while arm-wrestling. and wear suspenders! ;)

There are two things I don't understand about this forum.

1. When a person posts a thread that even hints at being critical of Brewster, he is quickly called a Brewsterhater, a fairweather fan, a whiner or worse. Yet criticizing players by name seems to be totally acceptable. Brewster is a paid professional. The players are college kids that were asked to commit to the U by Brewster or Mason, and they took a chance on a school with a less than storied program. At one time, most of the people on this forum welcomed the players with open arms, now it's "get so-and-so off the field." Some even trash an entire class of players by proclaiming the team will be much better off after all the seniors leave. That must really make them feel great about senior day. Some of the players that are dumped on are Brewster recruits; some players have regressed from last year to this year; some star JUCOs aren't making a dent in the program. How do we know Brewster is coaching up the kids to achieve their full potential or using the best schemes for their talents?

2. Why does Brewster get a free pass when:
A. Considering what's written above, if you think certain players shouldn't be on the field, that's Brewster's fault.
B. If you think Cosgrove sucks, that's Brewster's fault.
C. If you don't like Fisch, that's Brewster's fault.
D. If you think it hurt the team switching from the spread to the pro style offense, that's Brewster's fault.

NO. I do not believe Brewster should be fired. Right now, that's just silly talk. However, I think if someone levels factual, potentially justifiable criticism at Brewster, logical, fact-based responses would serve a greater purpose than simply flaming the poster. Why is it such a sin to point out perceived weaknesses or mistakes of a professional who accepted a job in the public eye? I only hope the players don't read this board. Imagine how hard it would be to play your heart out when you know many fans are against you.

You are searching for integrity in a cesspool.

some of the gh's want gray because he had 4 stars by his name when we recruited him

I don't want Gray because he was a 4-star recruit. I want Gray because Adam Weber is #75 in the country in passing efficiency and would be even lower if not for one huge aberration of a game. This despite having 35 career starts under his belt.

The fact that he continues to be under center for 95% of the snaps absolutely blows my mind. Outside of the MSU game, he has been simply horrible this year. Just terrible.

"How do we know Gray will be any better?" is the common response. That's just the point - we don't know. And frankly, it would be quite difficult for him to be worse. A play here and there is not indicative of what we can expect from him. He looked fantastic in his most extended playing time this year. And the kicker? He has a better QB rating than Weber this year.

Top Bottom