What happened with the paratroopers during the National Anthem?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Clearly something went wrong with the paratroopers - it looked like one of them got his leg tangled in the other persons parachute and was hanging upside down and not far above the Stadium he finally got loose. Obviously all three guys came in a few minutes too early, not even half way through the National Anthem, where they usually try to time it just as they finish the Anthem and are usually spot on with their arrival.

Anyone else have a different view or perspective about what went wrong? I am just glad no one got hurt.

Go Gophers!!

Clearly something went wrong with the paratroopers - it looked like one of them got his leg tangled in the other persons parachute and was hanging upside down and not far above the Stadium he finally got loose. Obviously all three guys came in a few minutes too early, not even half way through the National Anthem, where they usually try to time it just as they finish the Anthem and are usually spot on with their arrival.

Anyone else have a different view or perspective about what went wrong? I am just glad no one got hurt.

Go Gophers!!

Isn't failed paratrooping the beginning of the story of the Vikings' debacle in SBIV? Maybe this isn't such a great idea.

I noticed the same thing. Those guys came in pretty fast.

I noticed the same thing. Those guys came in pretty fast.

This is completely an an amateur opinion, but the wind was really blowing at that point. I was in the upper level and it was almost a strong, cool breeze. I attributed their early and fast landing to those conditions. Again, a very amateur opinion.

I didn't notice the one guy getting stuck. I did notice the 3rd guy almost came crashing into our bench.

They have to guess when to jump to make it in time.

Two of the guys were holding the flag between them, not tangled.

Gravity always wins, they can't just float forever.

There was no tangle, or any issue with the paratroopers. Two of them came down together and each held one side of the American flag, so they were obviously very close together. When they got closer to the ground, one of them disconnected himself so that they both could land safely. It went according to plan.

The only possible issue may have been the landings. I wondered if they were just trying to make it exciting for the fans and tried to come in with some speed.

Well I'd imagine the higher than normal speed was because they were both attached to the flag, and so they couldn't swoop around like butterflies, they needed to come down straight.

No one got killed or hurt. It went as planned IMHO.

They did the plan exactly as they were supposed to.

1) Two of the parachuters were connected to the flag, so the flag would be displayed all the way down the descent. When they got close, one of them unhitched himself from the flag. He landed and the other guy, who kept the flag landed. That's how they do it.

2) The national anthem started late. Had it started on time, the parachuters would have been right on the money. Therefore, the parachuters were actually on time. The anthem was late.

Top Bottom