What grade would you give the 2024 Gophers basketball non-conference schedule?

What grade would you give the 2024 Gophers basketball non-conference schedule?

• A

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • B

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • D

Votes: 31 39.7%
  • F

Votes: 36 46.2%

• Total voters

I voted D only because of the Orlando tourney...really, this was an F
Ditto. Without the Orlando tourney it is an easy F. The tournament pulls it up just slightly but the lack of any other noteworthy games outside of that tournament is really disappointing.

You don't have to run some crazy gauntlet in the non-conf schedule but at least give the fans a handful of games to get excited about.

Hard F.

Ben needs to understand that the NCAA Selection Committee heavily considers merit, something he might be unfamiliar with.

Is it possible that CBJ tried to schedule better teams, but nobody sees value in scheduling us?

Is it possible that CBJ tried to schedule better teams, but nobody sees value in scheduling us?

No. Based on him pulling out of the Vegas event last year, he gets no benefit of the doubt. This is also 4 years of absolute crap in non conference. Maybe he's just an idiot, based on what was quoted in the article from today, because he thinks we're playing 3 to 4 NCAA teams from last year and that's just flat out wrong.

F. Pitino managed a better non-conference home schedule during the Covid year with no fans.

Aren't mid-majors always complaining about Power Conference teams never wanting to play road games at their venues? Many solid programs with NCAA tourney aspirations would welcome a Big 10 team (maybe this has changed?)

I'd have 1000x preferred playing a road game against a solid mid-major and losing, then beating Morgan State in front of 1,700 fans.

F...Hard to believe 2 years in a row with the easiest non-con schedule. It not only impacts NCAA tournament selections but for season ticket holders it's a rip-off.

F. They so rarely offer the fans a good home non-conference game. It's all about the money they can collect and nothing about competing to be great. After close to 40 consecutive years of holding season tickets- I am done. I'll always be a fan and will go to games but I am done supporting this nonsense.

We are a historically below avg B1G team. We've made the tournament 4 times this century where we finished at .500 or below in league play. What's the common denominator for those teams receiving at-large bids? Having a marquee win in OOC.

2009 - Beat Louisville(made the E8)
2010 - Beat Butler(made title game)
2013 - Beat Memphis(made R32, finished top 20), also beat USC, Stanford, and FSU. Beat South Dakota State(#13 seed in tournament), also played Duke!
2019 - Beat Washington(R32, P12 champ), also beat Utah, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State.

All these teams received a double digit seed in the tournament. Without winning these games(and playing decent to good schedules) none of these teams probably make it.

We're already set up for failure. We've gotta do something in league play we've only done a handful of times this century(finish above .500). CBJ has yet to beat a top 25, so playing a good OOC schedule was a must. He's failed us yet again.

We are a historically below avg B1G team. We've made the tournament 4 times this century where we finished at .500 or below in league play. What's the common denominator for those teams receiving at-large bids? Having a marquee win in OOC.

2009 - Beat Louisville(made the E8)
2010 - Beat Butler(made title game)
2013 - Beat Memphis(made R32, finished top 20), also beat USC, Stanford, and FSU. Beat South Dakota State(#13 seed in tournament), also played Duke!
2019 - Beat Washington(R32, P12 champ), also beat Utah, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State.

All these teams received a double digit seed in the tournament. Without winning these games(and playing decent to good schedules) none of these teams probably make it.

We're already set up for failure. We've gotta do something in league play we've only done a handful of times this century(finish above .500). CBJ has yet to beat a top 25, so playing a good OOC schedule was a must. He's failed us yet again.
Totally forgot that he is still winless against ranked teams. Only place to go is up!

So, Yale was a NCAA tourney team, and so was Florida. And, WF and N. Texas were in the NIT. The Gophers will be playing 3 of those 4 teams.

I still think it's pretty misleading to state there's three or four tourney teams, but this is likely how he got to that rationalization.

I still said F. Better than last year? Barely. But it does not receive a passing grade. At all. People giving him a D need to reevaluate their grading scale.

Okay, maybe times have changed. Maybe it's how the coach spins it, but 1000% no players I ever coach would be happy with this schedule.
The guys on the Gophers think they are NBA players. They are here because we are in the Big Ten.
No player wants any part of about 8 of these non conference games.

Surprised to see a couple of C votes, not surprised we haven't seen a single A/B and if one shows up it will obviously be someone trolling.

Okay, maybe times have changed. Maybe it's how the coach spins it, but 1000% no players I ever coach would be happy with this schedule.
The guys on the Gophers think they are NBA players. They are here because we are in the Big Ten.
No player wants any part of about 8 of these non conference games.
Have to agree.

I dropped my season tickets two years ago after close to forty years and I haven't looked back. I got tired of the athletic department absolutely abusing its most loyal patrons. I remain hopeful about Ben but the athletic department just doesn't get it. Never has.

D but I'll watch the games anyway and I probably could buy early season tickets cheaply in front of the arena and have a good choice of seats. Should be able to see the whole lineup in four or five of these games. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Top Bottom