What games will the gophers be favored in next year?

march madness

Reaction score
I was wondering people's predictions for the favorites in gopher games for next year:

Gophers favored:
E. Ill
Middle Tenn
San Jose ST.
Purdue
vs Northwestern (-3)
@ Illinois (-3)
*gophers by 3

Gophers underdogs:
@ Michigan
vs OH State
@Nebraska
@Wisconsin

Coin flips:
@TCU
Iowa

Based on these for a starting point, and my own predictions I could see 5 wins in the favored, 1 upset, then a split of the coin flips and I have them at 7-5.

10-2. tOSU and NE are the only L's I see.

I was wondering people's predictions for the favorites in gopher games for next year:

Gophers favored:
E. Ill
Middle Tenn
San Jose ST.
Purdue
vs Northwestern (-3)
@ Illinois (-3)
*gophers by 3

Gophers underdogs:
@ Michigan
vs OH State
@Nebraska
@Wisconsin

Coin flips:
@TCU
Iowa

Based on these for a starting point, and my own predictions I could see 5 wins in the favored, 1 upset, then a split of the coin flips and I have them at 7-5.

I'd say they'll be definite underdogs at TCU, even though Horned Frogs are coming off a down season. Agree the Iowa game pretty much would be a pick 'em. At Michigan the only chance to top one of your favorites. Won't beat OSU, Nebraska, or Wisconsin. 6-6 or 7-5 (split TCU/Iowa the decider) with a win in the Big House the most significant victory, home loss to Northwestern the most unexpected.

I'd say they'll be definite underdogs at TCU, even though Horned Frogs are coming off a down season. Agree the Iowa game pretty much would be a pick 'em. At Michigan the only chance to top one of your favorites. Won't beat OSU, Nebraska, or Wisconsin. 6-6 or 7-5 (split TCU/Iowa the decider) with a win in the Big House the most significant victory, home loss to Northwestern the most unexpected.

I agree with this. There is not much margin for error to get to six wins.

Agee with those on the TCU being favored view. There is a segment on this board that thinks Minnesota is far superior than TCU and have already considered this as a lock for a win.

Will be a very tough game at TCU and Minnesota coming out of there with a win would be unexpected.

Disagree on being dogs vs TCU for a couple reasons.

1. TCU off a down season with us on the rise=all projections point to us
2. TCU is still trying to solidify it's QB.
3. There's really no games they could win before we play that would make them jump us before we play.
4. I firmly believe we are the better team. It'll be low scoring but I feel our offense will have more ability to make the big plays to win.

There is a segment on this board that thinks Minnesota is far superior than TCU and have already considered this as a lock for a win.

Count Spoofin in that segment.

Agee with those on the TCU being favored view. There is a segment on this board that thinks Minnesota is far superior than TCU and have already considered this as a lock for a win.

Will be a very tough game at TCU and Minnesota coming out of there with a win would be unexpected.

I think the spread for that game will be small but I do think TCU will be a very slight favorite due to being at home. This is the kind of game this team needs to start winning in year 4, TCU is a quality opponent but they are not the same opponent they would have been a few years ago when they were playing great.

Obviously nothing is a lock at this point but with the amount of experience this team has coming back they should realistically be in the hunt to win 8 or more games this season. This is a key season for this staff because the roster is theirs and most of them have been in their system for multiple years. If they are going to take the next step to becoming legit conference contenders this is the year we should start to see it.

Don't forget - there is a big difference between "being favored" in a game, and who is more "likely" to win.

Being Favored means the bookies in Vegas set the odds in your favor. Given the Gophers' lack of national prominence, I could easily see them as underdogs (on paper) in a number of games next year. The questions at QB will also influence the odds. Personally, I could give a rat's butt about the odds. Win the game, and nobody remembers what the odds were.

And you're pessimistic about the Gophers, while bashing those who dare to have a little optimism. Shocking.

These are my predictions on who will be favored according to Vegas odds, not who I think will win:

Gophers favored against:
1)Eastern Illinois
2)Middle Tenn State
3)TCU
4)San Jose State
5)Northwestern
6)Purdue
7)Illinois

Gophers underdogs against:
1)Michigan
2)Iowa
3)Ohio State
4)Wisconsin
5)Nebraska

And you're pessimistic about the Gophers, while bashing those who dare to have a little optimism. Shocking.

dpo good to hear from you. if pointing out a segment of board considers the TCU game a lock is bashing oh well.

dpo good to hear from you. if pointing out a segment of board considers the TCU game a lock is bashing oh well.

Coming from a reasonable person, it isn't. Coming from someone who has never posted a positive thought regarding the Gophers on this board, it sure is.

Coming from a reasonable person, it isn't. Coming from someone who has never posted a positive thought regarding the Gophers on this board, it sure is.

just knowing that you, dpodoll68, have checked all of my posts for positivity means a lot.

We'll be favored in all our home games except Ohio St and dogs on all of our road games except, maybe, Illinois.

will be favored in all games except Ohio State, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Michigan. We will easily be favored against TCU. They won 4 games last year, we won 8 and have a better trajectory. Northwestern will be a harder game than TCU. We will be slight favorites against Iowa with both team winning 8 games last year but it being a home game, slightly more guys coming back and have more immediate impact recruits and redshirts coming in gives us the slight edge. I wouldn't be shocked if we were favored against Michigan either. They just weren't a very good team last year and don't have an upward trajectory in the slightest.

To me, We will be favored on point spreads in all of our OOC (not saying we are the better team, will win, etc. but we will be the Vegas favorite)
In conference, we will be favored vs Purdue, vs Northwestern, @ Illinois,
We will be underdogs @ Mich, vs Iowa (though this one may be a push, will largely depend on how the year plays out), vs OSU, @ Neb (although could be a push), and @ Wisc.

Reasons why we will be favorites.

We are currently projected higher than our OOC opponents. TCU is the only "test" in the eyes of the college FB world right now and is coming off a rough season. Most pundits expect them to be weak on offense to start the season as they try find their QB. Thus, given our returning talent, we will be projected to win despite this being on the road. If we were playing late in the season, I would guess that TCU is the favorite. Remember we're just looking at being favored, not the better team.

We will be favored vs Northwestern by virtue of having the game at home, NW likely will be coming off two losses @ PSU and vs Wisc and could easily have another loss OOC. We will be coming off a bye and hopefully be at least 4-1. Odds will be pushed towards us.

We will be favored vs. Purdue by virtue of home game, we should have a better record, we will appear to be the better team at that time.

We will be favored at Illinois based upon record differential (hopefully) at this time. We should be sitting at 5-2 or better hopefully with Illinois looking at a 4-3 or so record with wins against no-names almost entirely. There's really no reason, unless we play much poorly and lose some games I think we should win, that Vegas should favor Illinois in this one.

Why we're dogs

@ Michigan. Has been a house of horrors at times. It's our first conference game. It's us vs a helmet school. Michigan could have some real legit wins if it beats both ND and Utah which will definitely make them the favorite.

vs Iowa. This one is solely on who we've played to this point. Iowa should have much more highly touted wins (comparatively) if everything goes to plan. They could very likely be undefeated at this time with how their schedule sets up and the points will swing towards them even if we only have 1 loss at this time. Conceivably we could both be in the top 25 if things go well which could make this a pretty enticing late season game.

Vs OSU. OSU is odds on pegged to be at either undefeated or with one loss at this point, with the loss to MSU. I don't really see any way we're favored in this one in Vegas. Just too many factors playing against us. Now if we're undefeated and they have a loss to MSU, we're looking at a different story. I just don't see that being the case.

@ Neb. I think this one could easily see us being favored and am tending to put it in push category, but I'll put it here for now off the virtue of us likely having 2+ losses at this point and this being a tough place to play. Neb could definitely have 3 losses at this point, but that won't be enough to swing the discussion in our favor.

@ Wisc. Until we beat them, I don't think you'll be seeing us favored. Especially in Camp Randall.

Overall: Favored in all our OOC, vs. Purdue, NW, and @ Ill. Dogs for sure @ Mich, vs OSU, @ Wisc. Pushes but I'm leaning towards dogs for now vs Iowa and @ Neb.

will be favored in all games except Ohio State, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Michigan. We will easily be favored against TCU. They won 4 games last year, we won 8 and have a better trajectory. Northwestern will be a harder game than TCU. We will be slight favorites against Iowa with both team winning 8 games last year but it being a home game, slightly more guys coming back and have more immediate impact recruits and redshirts coming in gives us the slight edge. I wouldn't be shocked if we were favored against Michigan either. They just weren't a very good team last year and don't have an upward trajectory in the slightest.

Only disagreements I have with your reasoning is that trajectory/recruiting impact/guys coming back, won't matter by the time we hit Iowa. It will be entirely based on what's going on the field. Unless you're talking along the lines of "way to early" type of betting lines. We won't be favored against Mich due to on the road, helmet school status for Mich, etc. and again by the time we play Mich, trajectory won't really matter

Only disagreements I have with your reasoning is that trajectory/recruiting impact/guys coming back, won't matter by the time we hit Iowa. It will be entirely based on what's going on the field. Unless you're talking along the lines of "way to early" type of betting lines. We won't be favored against Mich due to on the road, helmet school status for Mich, etc. and again by the time we play Mich, trajectory won't really matter

yeah, it was more of who will win or who i think should be favored i guess.

Vegas Baby!

The reason i started with what we presume "Vegas odds" would be is it reduces local bias about recruits, history, momentum. Vegas gets it pretty darn close more often then not, we just remember the times they are wrong. The buster douglas effect. So we all start with vegas odds on who should be favored by them and then we either pessimistically go down or optimistically go up.

Don't forget - there is a big difference between "being favored" in a game, and who is more "likely" to win.

Being Favored means the bookies in Vegas set the odds in your favor. Given the Gophers' lack of national prominence, I could easily see them as underdogs (on paper) in a number of games next year. The questions at QB will also influence the odds. Personally, I could give a rat's butt about the odds. Win the game, and nobody remembers what the odds were.

Top Bottom