What do we know about Mississippi State?

touchdownvikings

Reaction score
Are they the first test? Sorry to be lazy - I'm kinda busy and can't do the research myself, but I'm interested, and figure one of you knows the scoop.

well maybe there best player....6'11" 245 PF Tolu Smith is back from a foot injury and he has averaged 15 PPGs in the 3 games he has played in only 26 mins a game.

Garrison Brooks, Transfer from UNC is there other front court player and he is averaging 10 points a game in 28 mins a game.

Also have Michigan State Transfer Rocket Watts

Are they the first test? Sorry to be lazy - I'm kinda busy and can't do the research myself, but I'm interested, and figure one of you knows the scoop.
We beat a team in OT and another at the buzzer on a put back. I think we are being tested every game. Smith is shooting 80% over the three games back. He will be a handful.

Think he means our first time being able to directly compare us to a team that's actually good so we can get a better feel for how good/bad we are.

I think the unknown right now is will they be able to defend against a talented P5 team.

well maybe there best player....6'11" 245 PF Tolu Smith is back from a foot injury and he has averaged 15 PPGs in the 3 games he has played in only 26 mins a game.

Garrison Brooks, Transfer from UNC is there other front court player and he is averaging 10 points a game in 28 mins a game.

Obviously their two front court players have dangerous potential.

Rocket Watts appears to be destined to have a career as a high ranked but underachieving player although he is shooting better this year.

Think he means our first time being able to directly compare us to a team that's actually good so we can get a better feel for how good/bad we are.

I was thinking that Pitt gave us some sense of that but hopefully that thought is premature.

MSU has a lot of talent. Adding to the responses above, they also have Memphis transfer DJ Jeffries and NC State transfer Shakeel Moore. This team should be dancing this year.

Haven't seen a line yet, but I expect to be 6-8 point underdogs. Ben Howland teams are usually solid.

I'll be surprised if we keep it within 10 if I'm being honest.
If we can keep it under 10 most of the game that has to be considered a win. On the road against a bubble team I expect it to get ugly at some point.

I didn’t know Watts transferred. Thanks

MSU has a lot of talent. Adding to the responses above, they also have Memphis transfer DJ Jeffries and NC State transfer Shakeel Moore. This team should be dancing this year.

Dancing !!
They will be a top 4 seed !!

Our gritty bunch will keep it close by playing a full 40 minutes,state will play about 25
Yep. I compare our present Gopher squad to the Wofford team when Noah Dahlman was playing there. Woffard was undersized but played with tenacity and beat a handful of P6 teams. Ben's "Dirty Dozen" will not quit.

We should follow the game plan we used to beat Alabama a few years ago: goad their bench into a brawl so they get ejected, then foul out a couple players on the court so that it’s 5 on 3. That was a masterful game plan Pitino put together that night.

Thompson is taller than anyone on MSU's roster....will he be allowed to play?
Height aside, he isn't going to do well guarding someone who is 6'11 245lbs. He may play but I don't think it will be effective minutes.

We should follow the game plan we used to beat Alabama a few years ago: goad their bench into a brawl so they get ejected, then foul out a couple players on the court so that it’s 5 on 3. That was a masterful game plan Pitino put together that night.
Weren't we up by like 10 when all that happened? From my memory it ironically wasn't until after that happened that we started to lose control of the game.

From the AP game preview:
SECOND CHANCES: Mississippi State has posted an excellent offensive rebound percentage of 37.6 percent this year.
Umm, shit.

Weren't we up by like 10 when all that happened? From my memory it ironically wasn't until after that happened that we started to lose control of the game.
They were down to 3 guys with about 10 minutes left. We were up by 12 at the time. We ended up only winning by 5.

We didn't pressure. We played hero ball (so the three person zone wasn't exposed. We didn't even double-the ball. So defensively, we didn't take advantage of the situation and our ball movement was non-existent so we let them rest on D. It was bizarre.

They are talented but Howland is a bad coach as we saw in the tournament game vs UCLA.
Howland and Shabazz blew that game. When I found out that Howland was the coach at Mississippi St. it gave me some hope that we have a chance.

Howland and Shabazz blew that game. When I found out that Howland was the coach at Mississippi St. it gave me some hope that we have a chance.
Howland has had a very impressive career . What he built at Pitt is incredible.

Top Bottom