Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Gold out

Votes: 77 72.6%
  • Maroon out

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • We'll wear whatever we feel like

Votes: 13 12.3%

• Total voters
People making suggestions on a message board is gestapo behavior? I think the gestapo was just the tiniest bit beyond suggestions. If people are being hauled off and shot for not wearing gold, then you would have an honest analogy.

We should also consider that Gopher T-shirts are commonly gold, but Gopher jackets are commonly maroon. We'd have a better chance of a gold out early, but a better chance of a maroon out later in the season.

What mystifies me is people who wear Vikings gear to a Gophers game. It's like they are vaguely aware that they are going to a sports event, so they feel they should wear some sort of sports gear.

People making suggestions on a message board is gestapo behavior? I think the gestapo was just the tiniest bit beyond suggestions. If people are being hauled off and shot for not wearing gold, then you would have an honest analogy.

My apologies. I assumed that people would know I wasn't literally talking about the Gestapo. That was a presumption I made. I should have known better. Clearly I overestimated some people's powers of intuition.

My apologies. I assumed that people would know I wasn't literally talking about the Gestapo. That was a presumption I made. I should have known better. Clearly I overestimated some people's powers of intuition.

We all knew you didn't literally think that people were behaving like the gestapo. The problem is that even as a metaphorical analogy, it is fatally flawed. Suggesting or encouraging the wearing of certain colors to a Gopher game is not even remotely analogous to the gestapo.

as a metaphorical analogy, it is fatally flawed. Suggesting or encouraging the wearing of certain colors to a Gopher game is not even remotely analogous to the gestapo.

Webster:

"a secret-police organization employing underhanded and terrorist methods against persons suspected of disloyalty"

Wikipedia:

"the term is commonly used to describe any group involved in overzealous enforcement of specific tastes or views (e.g. 'the style Gestapo')"

Random House:

"of or resembling the Nazi Gestapo, esp. in the brutal suppression of opposition"

American Heritage:

"The German internal security police as organized under the Nazi regime, known for its terrorist methods directed against those suspected of treason or questionable loyalty"

So, really? You don't see any parallels between the "suppression of opposition," the "overzealous enforcement of specific tastes or views," etc., and a certain segment of Gopher Nation who insists that people wear a certain color to the game? Hmm.

Webster:

"a secret-police organization employing underhanded and terrorist methods against persons suspected of disloyalty"

Wikipedia:

"the term is commonly used to describe any group involved in overzealous enforcement of specific tastes or views (e.g. 'the style Gestapo')"

Random House:

"of or resembling the Nazi Gestapo, esp. in the brutal suppression of opposition"

American Heritage:

"The German internal security police as organized under the Nazi regime, known for its terrorist methods directed against those suspected of treason or questionable loyalty"

So, really? You don't see any parallels between the "suppression of opposition," the "overzealous enforcement of specific tastes or views," etc., and a certain segment of Gopher Nation who insists that people wear a certain color to the game? Hmm.

I think his point is that there are other analogies that don't include the elements I've bolded and underlined above, all of which do not apply to our little shirt color discussion. Oddly enough the only source you list which fails to note the true nature of the Gestapo (Nazi, brutal, terrorist, etc) also happens to be the one that any professor would fail you for citing.

I think your point is clear...you don't like the style police/loyalty oath feeling you're getting. Fair enough. But don't get too bent out of shape if someone is able to poke pretty legitimate holes in your Gestapo analogy.

Which one of these is not like the others?

white1js9.gif

stadiums_illinois.jpg

co_AAKQ006_16x20~Camp-Randall-Stadium-University-of-Wisconsin-Badgers-2008-Posters.jpg

Kinnick.jpg

PZXZOOWNYOAHQTM.20060511192007.jpg

Oh, goodie. You've got quotes.

No underhanded or terroristic methods being applied. Analogy fails.

How is suggesting or encouraging people to wear certain colors overzealous? It's not even enforcement. Analogy fails.

It doesn't resemble the gestapo. Analogy fails. There isn't supression, let alone brutal supression. Analogy fails.

No terroristic methods employed. Analogy fails.

So, really? You don't see any parallels between the "suppression of opposition," the "overzealous enforcement of specific tastes or views," etc., and a certain segment of Gopher Nation who insists that people wear a certain color to the game?

I do not see any parallels for the same reason I do not see unicorns: because they do not exist.
You must really hate the cheerleaders then, they brutally enforce cheering at the games.

Which one of these is not like the others?

This just reinforced for me how much better the stands will look regardless of if people change what they wear simply because those crappy blue seats won't drag the whole atmosphere down.

This just reinforced for me how much better the stands will look regardless of if people change what they wear simply because those crappy blue seats won't drag the whole atmosphere down.

I completely agree. I think that picture of the dump is taken from an Iowa game, so the presence of yellow/gold (and a full crowd) is amplified.

The most adhered to "Gold Out" that I can recall was the 2007 Ohio State game. I couldn't find any panned shots of the entire crowd, but this shot shows at least a couple of sections (it may be the student section, but I don't think so) that did a pretty good job of sporting the Gold:

FCEQXQKFUOZPNLB.20071002212953.jpg

I do recall being fairly impressed with the % of fans wearing gold to that game given that there is very little media coverage of the Gophers and their fan initiatives.

I had the privilege of catching the '03 Michigan collapse game on BTN this morning. I wish someone had a wide angle picture of the stadium during the beginning of that game. It was virtually a maroon/gold out. I think it shows how not only do more casual fans get excited when our team is winning, but they tend to make the effort to go to Gold Country on the way to the game, so they dont feel left out when they get there. If we are undefeated, ranked in the top 15, and playing a good big 10 team, I think a maroon/gold out is a real possibility.

Otherwise, I'm confident that they only way to do any kind Maroon/Gold out here, is to have someone sponsor it and buy all the t-shirts and put them on each seat at the game. For the time being, we are not Penn State or Illinois, who seem to be issued white or orange t-shirts at birth. Have the shirts be "free-bees" at the game, or it just wont happen. (I hope I can be proved wrong on this)

***Warning, this is not a complaint about playing outside!***
Can you imagine what its going to look like on a cold day? Years of playing inside means most Gopher Football fans will not have cold-weather gopher gear. You can pitch a maroon/gold out all day long, but if it's a cold day, you can bet it will look worse than that pic of the dome posted above. ***again not a complaint about playing outdoors in cold weather, I can't f'n wait!***

I hope that Gold Country realizes that not many Gopher fans have gold or maroon jackets and that they stock a lot of options next year.

Well, we aren't going to be playing in December or January. A sweater and a Jacket should be adequate.

Well, we aren't going to be playing in December or January. A sweater and a Jacket should be adequate.

I've got my cool/rainy gear all figured out:

Gold "Minnesota" hoodie
Maroon down vest (for when its chilly)
Gold raincoat outer layer

I think with this, some long underwear and some gloves (I'm still looking for maroon gloves), I'l be fine down into the 40's.

I stand corrected. Let me amend my statement: we will not be playing in December or January at any place where a warm jacket is required.

For the ladies (I think they are styled for women), one of these over a nice fleece would be great on a crisp fall day at "The Bank":

XL1837_510.jpg

Top Bottom