What Big Ten football fans should know about the 2024 Minnesota Golden Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Ben:

Minnesota was one of the more consistent programs in the Big Ten from 2018 to 2022 with four winning seasons in five years, including an 11-2 2019 campaign and consecutive 9-4 seasons in 2021 and 2022.

2023 saw the program take a significant step back with a 5-7 finish to the regular season. That year puts the Gophers at a crossroads entering 2024. The Big Ten landscape is more challenging without the benefit of a Big Ten West schedule, which means the Gophers must take a significant step forward to return to their previous standing.

A resurgence would cement Fleck’s place with the program. Another down season and his seat could get hot, and quickly.

Season Outlook:

Minnesota’s success in 2024 will come down to the play of its offense after a forgettable 2023 performance.

The group should have no trouble improving upon that output with a star running back in Darius Taylor and a star wide receiver in Daniel Jackson. But the big variable is the QB Brosmer, who set FCS passing records at New Hampshire. If he can excel at the Big Ten level, the Gophers could be a sleeper offense in the conference.

The question is how much the group will improve, and whether it’s enough to complement what should again be a solid defense.

Minnesota could present tough games to Michigan, Penn State and Wisconsin. But it will still lose those contests unless Brosmer has an elite season.

Bowl Projection: Miss bowl game (4-8 record)

I see a struggle for Minnesota in 2024 as it adjusts to the new Big Ten landscape. The program has a strong defensive identity, but the defense regressed in 2023 (No. 31 in SP+). Now the Gophers must take substantial steps forward on both sides of the ball while the schedule increases in difficulty and the Big Ten West is eliminated.

I don’t think Fleck is going anywhere. But 2024 won’t be the resurgent season for the program.

Go Gophers!!

Interesting. Says another down season will mean Fleck's seat gets quickly hot. Predicts a down season and follows that by saying he doesn't think Fleck is going anywhere.

4-8 would be a bad season and I would think would make 2025 a needs to show something season. I think they’ll do better than 4-8 though

a lot of these "outside" previews focus on the offense - and I agree the offense had issues.

but I think they're under-stating how much the defense fell off last season, struggling to stop the run and giving up way too many explosive plays. and that was with Joe Rossi as DC. with a new DC (1st time as a DC at the FBS level), and having lost their best player to the NFL, I still think the defense is a much bigger question mark than the offense.

Interesting. Says another down season will mean Fleck's seat gets quickly hot. Predicts a down season and follows that by saying he doesn't think Fleck is going anywhere.
It is often said that consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds. Under this test, the author obviously has a big mind.

Top Bottom