What bar around campus will have the best pre-game atmosphere next year?

What bar will have the best pre-game atmosphere next year?

• Sally's

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • Blarney Pub and Grill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Big 10

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • The Library

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Stub & Herb's

Votes: 22 47.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sterbs is so much better now that it has new management. And I would hope nobody ever goes to Sally's what a waste of space. Going to Sally's is like going to Wrigley Field, nobody's there for the game just there to be seen.

Sterbs is so much better now that it has new management. And I would hope nobody ever goes to Sally's what a waste of space. Going to Sally's is like going to Wrigley Field, nobody's there for the game just there to be seen.

Uh, it is still a college bar, not exactly a trendy club. I'm not concerned if people see me but I like to run in to my people I went to school with and catch up.

Most importantly, the food is good. If you haven't, try the tots. I'm a fries guy myself but they do tots as well as anyone--even better than Bulldog NE.

Library is awesome, but their service sucks on game days.

I can't wait to get back to the states for gamedays next year. God I missed it this year.

Stub and Herb's Reborn?

the one thing I don't like about the "new" Sturbs" is there is nothing Gopher related in there. They took all the great old pictures down and when you walk in now, you would have no idea it was on the campus of the U of M, no pennants, no team pictures, no stadium pictures, nothing that even says "Golden Gopher's on it. I brought my daughter to the BB game last week when she was home for Thanksgiving...she went to Madison (sorry to say) and she couldn't believe it..NOTHING like a campus bar in Mad-town which is ALL RED and Bucky stuff everywhere you look. I guess that is asking too much at Minnesota.

Hands a little tied

I think they are going or have achieved National Registry of Historic Places status for old 19. That would not prevent a deck, but it would have to be added in a way that enhanced the historic nature of the property.

Perhaps it could be done as a widdows walk?

former Oak Street that will most likely be a plaza of some sort by Williams Arena. My guess is that the U of M and the City traded the land where the new Oak Street is, with the U now owning the former street in front of Williams Arena.

I am shocked the owners of Station 19 did not at least build a fancy deck on top of that new addition for game day private parties.

I'd put a Stella's/ Drink Uptown/ Wrigleyville style deck on top of that place at any price if I owned it.

"Library is awesome, but their service sucks on game days."

Amen to that. I've been in there when the house has been packed for a Gopher game and they've had two bartenders and one waitress trying to serve the entire place. Have waited 30 minutes for a beer to get back to the table before.

regardless of which you think is best, it will just be nice to go to a "campus" bar and be able to walk right over to the game.

For those that haven't been to the renovated Sturb's, check it out. The place looks good and your feet don't stick to the floor anymore. Sally's is always a good choice and they do have some gopher stuff on the walls (in the little seating section between the front/back room divider and the back bar by the windows). Library: the fact that they can actually pay their liquor distributors on time has to say something about improvement.

If it's serving up booze on game day, you can't go wrong. My only complaint: everyone you go to will be way too packed....

Ditt1605-

regardless of which you think is best, it will just be nice to go to a "campus" bar and be able to walk right over to the game.

For those that haven't been to the renovated Sturb's, check it out. The place looks good and your feet don't stick to the floor anymore. Sally's is always a good choice and they do have some gopher stuff on the walls (in the little seating section between the front/back room divider and the back bar by the windows). Library: the fact that they can actually pay their liquor distributors on time has to say something about improvement.

If it's serving up booze on game day, you can't go wrong. My only complaint: everyone you go to will be way too packed....

Ditt1605-Do you remember how much of a dump The Library was when we were in college?

One time when I was living at the Chateau my parents wanted to take me out for dinner so they parked and paid the meter outside The Library before calling me to come down. I tried to convince them to go to Sally's instead but my dad was too cheap to feed another meter. When my mom went to the bathroom she came back horrified because one stall had a toilet broke in half and covered with a garbage bag and the other was less broken. She also commented that her feet were sticking to the floor and it was only 5:00 pm. I'm pretty sure we struggled to find 3 non-broken chairs too.

What a dump. I'm really happy that place has been cleaned up.

Smokin's Sue has been gone for over a year. Stub and Herb's is under new management and I have heard it is much improved.">>>>>>>>
And new ownership. The Zavadil boys from Glenwood. They used to post here once in awhile. I haven't been there since new ownership but I hear nothing but great comments.

I'd invite every one to my place but I can't find my liquor license.

Top Bottom