What are you cooking for the game?

USDA graded my meat. I lived in TX for 4 years if you don't know what party potatoes are you definitely need to Google them. They are hashbrowns with sharp cheddar and chicken soup and sour cream. More to the recipe. But they will be the hit of any tailgate or even a large gathering.

The brisket came from Sams Club. I love in the Summers when they sell Prime beef. Other meat I buy at Fareway which I know is hard to find in MN but they have the best Quality Meat from a grocery store. Almost like going to a meat locker.

One last thing for smoking the brisket I use Mystique wood and pecan wood typical Texas style smoke.

The brisket came from Sams Club. I love in the Summers when they sell Prime beef. Other meat I buy at Fareway which I know is hard to find in MN but they have the best Quality Meat from a grocery store. Almost like going to a meat locker.
Is this meat grass fed? Meaning the healthy food? Does sound good providing its not loaded with chemicals.

I'm not sure how much all of you are educated on beef but it is graded. Your Cub Foods or Rainbow Foods if they still exist sells choice grade. It is normal in a grocery store. Some places will sell Prime Beef which is more expensive but a better quality. More marbling in the meat is normally what makes a prime. The top 3% I believe is prime for meat

Grass fed is a even higher cost. But Prime meat is about fat marbling.
Yeah cost is a factor unfortunately. Pretty much everything we buy is organic, grass fed etc. I just don't like putting all the chemicals in my body.

I have never seen a brisket advertised as grass-fed. I'm not saying doesn't happen I just haven't seen it. I know the hamburger at Sam's Club is like 599 a pound for grass-fed beef. I honestly don't buy Hamburger there I buy it at Fareway

If anyone was wondering I'm a former chef that's why I know so much about beef. Also if you are buying a prime rib for Christmas. If it's not actually prime meat you are just buying a rib roast.

Going to pick up some chicken wings at the butcher tomorrow and making some buffalo wings. Don't know what recipe yet, might try to make a few different sauces. Try to time the wings being ready to eat right as the game starts.

If you got any tips cedar rapids gopher, I'd love to hear them!

Going to pick up some chicken wings at the butcher tomorrow and making some buffalo wings. Don't know what recipe yet, might try to make a few different sauces. Try to time the wings being ready to eat right as the game starts.

If you got any tips cedar rapids gopher, I'd love to hear them!

Copycat from Moes BBQ

WING SAUCE
Ingredients
1 cup Franks Red Hot
3 Tbsp Butter
1 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp White Vinegar
1/4 cup Honey

Directions
Melt butter over medium high heat. Mix in all other ingredients and cook on medium heat for approximately 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Coat wings and Enjoy!

WHITE SAUCE (in place of ranch)
Ingredients
  • 1 jar mayonnaise "heavy duty"
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon dry rub Moe's or your personal favorite
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce a couple of dashes, to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce a couple of dashes
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 pinch white pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1/4 lemon juiced

I'm sorry I don't share my recipes otherwise this site would change to Cedar Rapids recipes. Lol but don't bake the wings fry them first then sauce them.

I will say allrecipe.com is a great source of information. I even Steal ideas from some especially Chef John. I tweak them to what we like. I will give basic smoking advice. Best wood for a meat. And basic smoking information. I'm a retired day trader. I got sick of working 60 hrs a week at a restaurant. I made good money but I make almost as much selling stocks.

Yeah cost is a factor unfortunately. Pretty much everything we buy is organic, grass fed etc. I just don't like putting all the chemicals in my body.
Thing is, unless you're buying direct from small, family farms ... likely these terms have some factor of BS in them, negotiated for and allowed by the USDA.

Take organic, for instance. People get this warm fuzzy image of chemical-free farming. Not true, at all. Organic just means they can't use herbicides/pesticides with synthetic molecules. But they can, and certainly do, still use herbicides/pesticides, as long as they're "naturally derived" or whatever it is. And I've heard those can actually be harsher.

Grass fed can be BS too. If you take a cow that grew up in a feed lot, mostly eating whatever processed junk is cheapest, and then spends the last X days of its life eating grass ... they get to call it grass fed. Would not surprise me in the least that the rules are something like that.

And of course, that is all assuming you even trust these mega agri-business not to cut corners, and even abide by the rules in the first place.

To me ... it's honestly just feels like marketing. If you're still buying most of your food at major retailers, that is. If you're going direct to small farms, then my hat's off to you.

Grass fed is a even higher cost. But Prime meat is about fat marbling.
Grass fed is lower quality, when it comes to taste, because it's leaner, and doesn't marble as much. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but that's just the fact of it.

If you eat beef every day, and you want to try a supposedly healthier option during the week, go for it. But if you're splurging, and treating yourself, get the good stuff. Don't get grass fed.

Had not heard of it. Based in Iowa. All our grocery stores are being taken over by Iowa companies! Just kidding.

Looks like there's one in Faribault, and that's as close as it gets for now.

Vegan chili for me. I went to a vegan diet a year ago after some health problems and haven't looked back. Prime rib and wings sound pretty flippin good though!

Wings and shrimp kabobs, with a side of fresh local Mexican restaurant-purchased chips, salsa, and guacamole. Makes for a nice mix for munching and snacking the entire game.

Chicken wings! I use a fairly straightforward mix of salt, pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper and garlic powder with the flour before cooking them. Also having a sausage and cheese dip.

I'm making some sandwiches called "The Tony" I used to get at Vescio's in Dinkytown. Italian sausage patty and provolone toasted on white bread and served with a bowl of marinara to dip in and some kettle chips.

Top Bottom