what are we gonna do with all of these JC DB's?

Hooligan119th

Reaction score
I think this is nuts (in a good way kinda)

Let's say Paige and Leon commit... that gives us with BPT, Sherels, Royston, Paige, Robinson, Collado at CB and Theret, Brock, and Leon at S with all being jr's or better. Where are they gonna get their playing time. I mean don't get me wrong, the depth would be crazy good, I just don't understand why we are going after so many JC DB's.

Also, didn't one of the recruits say in an interview that they were only going to bring in 5 DB's this year?

If that is so, how is that gonna work for Carter if Leon, Paige, and Watkins all commit this week?

If leon commits he would end up being moved to LB. Personally i dont know how i feel about going after all of these JUCOs period. I feel like if we keep doing this then we will end up with a cycle where we are constantly getting new JUCO band-aids to replace the ones that are graduating.

I don't think it is a big deal right now. The defense obviously needed a lot of help and this is the best way to get guys who can step in right away.

I think depth has been the biggest problem with our defense this year. Great starters, but when they get tired, they fade. Hopefully these JC's can help us out, but of course they are not a long term solution. I think this will change as we get further along.

I said

Before the season started I said we should go after 4 to 6 JC players again this year. Some people said no way and we'd only go after hC players. Brewsters sees what I see and this team should be very, very good next year. We should be able to play with anyone in the Big Ten next year. I predict 10 wins in 2009. Some people may think that is crazy but others thought my prediction of 8 wins this year was crazy also.

The coaches must have a feeling that they won't get all those guys to commit...because if they did, then you're right--they'd have a logjam.

That said, the JUCO theory is the right one for now--and it worked last year. BPT, Brock, and Simmons were MAJOR contributors last year (they were probably 3 of the top 4 players on a much improved defense...behind WVDS, of course). Kansas St. did it this way for years under Snyder and went from mediocrity to Big 12 champs and the BCS.

I predict 10 wins in 2009. Some people may think that is crazy but others thought my prediction of 8 wins this year was crazy also.

Have you seen our schedule?

The Cream will rise to the top...

Back ups challenging for starting spots creates depth and that is a good problem to have. The players that are committed to Minnesota or are currently in the program are shown below in order of the depth chart. I didn't change any of the starters for newcomers although that is a possibility.

CB: BPT Simmons (Sr), Sherels (Sr), Paige (Jr), Robinson (Jr), Callado (Jr), McKelton (Sr), Johnson (So)
FS: Theret (Jr), Royston (Jr)--he played S at Wisconsin, not CB, Rallis (So), Watkins (Fr)
SS: Brock (Sr), Dandridge (So), Lewis (Fr)

Leon could be moved to OLB if he commits or he could challenge for a starting spot at safety.

We are going after Junior College players in the secondary because we lacked depth (Collado struggled in the nickel back position & Rallis wasn't really ready when Theret went down injured). This isn't necessarily something that we will always be stuck doing but to get out of the cycle we need to recruit freshman that will be impact players when the existing Juco's leave the program. I feel good that Dandridge, Lewis and Watkins can be good players when they are upper classmen. One of them needs to be able to step in to Brock's position in 2010.

I feel less comfortable at CB. We really need a commitment out of someone like Carter that could be an impact player in the future (rumor is that he did a silent verbal to Florida on his trip there this weekend). Right now we don't have the underclassmen in the program to get us out of the Juco cycle.

JC Rout

I always thought if Brewster's first two years in recruiting had a lot of good JC players then by his third year we might be as good as anyone in the Big Ten.

Mase gave Brewster a weak Senior and Junior class but gave Brewster a good freshmen and sophmore class. Add to those classes two solid recruiting classes and you should have a pretty good team.

Even with next years tough schedule I think we'll at least win 8 games.

Maybe with all this speed and size we can cover punts and kick offs.

Our lack of depth cost us the Wisconsin game...we need Leon big time and we need a running back with break away speed.

Maybe with all this speed and size we can cover punts and kick offs.

Our lack of depth cost us the Wisconsin game...we need Leon big time and we need a running back with break away speed.

The Gophers covered kickoffs with outstanding efficiency (for the Gophers, anyway) this season. How many big KO returns did they give up all year? One?

I did not read all the post on this thread, so forgive me if I am repeating something. Last year most of us were in a panice when Sherells went down with his injury. We still need depth at all positions. If we are lucky enough to bring in Paige and Leon this year that will provide some depth at two positions we were thin at last year. This team is one injury away from being in trouble at too many positions not to recruit some JC kids. Some day I hope we are able to recruit 99% high school kids to fill our starting roles and provide back up strength. We are not there now and won't be for several years. Bring in JC kids as long as the will play. I don't want to see JC recruited to be 2nd or 3rd string back ups. If Paige and Leon don't start this year, they will start their Sr. seasons.

I agree with grunkiejr and gold04. One of my biggest beefs with Mason is that we always seemed to have only 22 bodies (let me amend that, we would have 25 bodies, but four would be RBs) ready to contribute. Every off-season, it was a shuffling to get the best 22 guys on the field. Good programs don't do that. You don't re-build, you re-load.

Getting JC players helps with that. Wills is another example on the offensive side of the ball. He comes to school in January and may project to be a starter. That gives Olson and Michel a year to grow on a more manageable schedule.

Same thing with the JC guys on defense. Dandridge, Cooper, Watkins, and others get a chance to get used to college football before they are counted on to contribute mightily.

I would not say that Sherels and Theret are locks to start because of experience. Leon and Paige could very easily steal their spots if they were to commit. I would say that BPT and Brock are locks to start.

Here's my take. When you take over a program like Brewster did with gaping holes you need immediate fixes and Jucos (Who don't care about the name brand schools so much as they car about playing right away) are the ticket. By plugging holes with Jucos you get better immediately and getting beter immediately helps you recruit high school players (Who do care about the prestige factor of the school they're chosing.). Over 2-4 years the young high school players become the starters and you only go Juco for the odd hole to fill.

* I think Leon will stay at SS. He told GopherLady he's being recruited at SS and she asked him directly.

I've always believed that except for the rare high school player (and those are usually at the skilled positions), it's the third year (either as juniors or redshirt sophomores) when you can count on players being ready to contribute to a winning program. JUCOs can do more sooner and one more year with JUCOs and Brewster will have his own set of third-year players.

all good points, but what about a spot for Carter

I see everyone's points on getting depth which is an obvious need. But like the one recruit said the gophers are wanting to bring in 5 db's this year. Now I know that things could change and so forth, but if they do stick to that and Paige and Leon commit...we have our 5 DB's for the year.

A lot of guys have said that we still need to be bringing in JC players to fill the gap and provide immediate depth. I agree with that, but let me put this situation in front of you.

You have one scholly left and want to bring in a CB. Do you give it to Carter or Paige?

I personnaly think that bringing in 3 JC DB's in this class when you are only going to be bringing in 5 overall is a bit of a mistake.

I would take a class of Carter, Lewis, Paige OR Robinson, Leon, and Watkins over Paige, Robinson, Lewis, Leon, and Watkins anyday. I don't remember the last time we had a chance at a CB like Carter.

Maybe they will make an exception for Carter though and bring in six. I don't know.

Of course Paige and Leon need to commit though first. If they don't then there is no purpose for this conversation.

... getting new JUCO band-aids to replace the ones that are graduating.

Calling JUCO recruits "band-aids" is really putting the worst possible spin on the role they can play on the team.

I believe it would be preferable to build an entire team of JUCO recruits. There are very few HS recruits that wouldn't benefit from getting a few years of JC experience before trying to play in the Big Ten.

Unfortunately, perhaps, there are too few JC's that play at a level that allows that to happen. But Minnesota should get as many as possible out of the JC's that do.

I see everyone's points on getting depth which is an obvious need. But like the one recruit said the gophers are wanting to bring in 5 db's this year. Now I know that things could change and so forth, but if they do stick to that and Paige and Leon commit...we have our 5 DB's for the year.

A lot of guys have said that we still need to be bringing in JC players to fill the gap and provide immediate depth. I agree with that, but let me put this situation in front of you.

You have one scholly left and want to bring in a CB. Do you give it to Carter or Paige?

I personnaly think that bringing in 3 JC DB's in this class when you are only going to be bringing in 5 overall is a bit of a mistake.

I would take a class of Carter, Lewis, Paige OR Robinson, Leon, and Watkins over Paige, Robinson, Lewis, Leon, and Watkins anyday. I don't remember the last time we had a chance at a CB like Carter.

Maybe they will make an exception for Carter though and bring in six. I don't know.

Of course Paige and Leon need to commit though first. If they don't then there is no purpose for this conversation.

You give it to Carter. Carter is a 4 star, #11 rated CB, and could reasonably be expected to make an impact by his sophomore year and he would still add depth this season. Between BPT, Sherels, Robinson, Collado you have your base/nickel/dime defense covered at CB and if Carter is able to pass up any of the CB's in that mix you're even better off.

I think there is a position open for Carter either way.

To me Leon is more likely to be the "6th" player that they would be willing to take. Leon has adequate size to play LB and enough speed to play safety. If Leon comes here I would expect that Brock and Leon are the two starting safeties next season and Theret and Royston will be backing them up. However, if we can't fill the LB position being vacated by Hightower I wouldn't be surprised to see Leon switch over to that.

I think Royston played a lot at nickle back for wisconsin if I remember correctly. If I had to pick one guy to contribute the most of the new guys for next season it would have to be Royston.

I think Royston is one guy people are forgetting about, this guy should make a huge impact next year!! Far better than Scherels I think??

People are forgetting a lot of guys who will make an impact next year. We'll be a lot better then people expect.

Right now, a mixture of JC and HS players really is a necessity, not just for depth, but to raise the talent level and get some solid leaders who can help groom incoming HS players, kinda help show how it is done as well as keep the pressure of expectation from being to great on them.

Deepest team since I can Remeber!

Next year we'll have the deepset Gopher team I can ever remember. Those memories goes back to the Lou Holtz days. Offensively and defensively we will be strong depth wise for a Gopher team.

Plus next year you will see how coaches like Roof, Davis and yes even Dunbar will make a big difference on a team. The Dunbar lead NW offense to an average of 501 yards a game. I can't believe the offense is going to struggle again with Davis and Dunbar working together. On offense you have everyone back but Simmons. Add to that Caurfel, NewO-line recruit, Whaley, Limpscomb, Mcneal and a healthy Bennet. It's going to be a night and day difference next year compared to this year.

Defensively we will be absolutely solid all over except DE. IF Jacobs can step up at DE and we get that JC DE recruit, and if Ced, Owni?, and Henderson can provide solid depth we'll be even better then the defense Gibbs had here when we beat PSU.

Next year we should be very tough to beat.

Gold04, Let's not forget about Rashede Hageman and Eric Lair. Eric is te from Texas who is redshirting. The blurb in the official gopher roster makes him sound as good as hageman except that he needs to add 30 pounds before he's ready to play. My guess is he has done some of that already.

I love getting JUCO guys, especially ones who are considering places like USC. Don't look at JUCO as a band-aid, it is a way to improve immediate holes on your team, while allowing younger freshmen and redshirt guys to improve themselves before they're ready to make a true impact. Especially considering people put a lot of pressure on coaches to win immediately. You can't do that with a bunch of freshmen.

But yes, this team will be deep. We'll need a few to step up as team leaders, specifically for the defense as WVDS is leaving us. We need the defensive line to get pressure on the QB so that will be the spot I'm really keying on, as well as the offensive line. If those two units can play decent, I like our chances next year of making an impact in the Big Ten.

People will be very suprised!

People will be suprised how much better this team will be next year! The only player I'm worried about losing is Van. Hopefully Jacobs can step up to the plate and we desperately need to find a JC DE. Then hopefully the three seniors Owni?, Henderson and Ced step up and provide solid depth. If DE end works out next year, we'll be very tough to beat!

People will be suprised how much better this team will be next year! The only player I'm worried about losing is Van. Hopefully Jacobs can step up to the plate and we desperately need to find a JC DE. Then hopefully the three seniors Owni?, Henderson and Ced step up and provide solid depth. If DE end works out next year, we'll be very tough to beat!

I think some are pretty surprised this year!:)

Top Bottom