What a wonderful night-Duke/Sconny get rolled

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
I'm usually not one to revel in other's misfortunes, but it is a rare treat when you get to see the two teams you despise the most get taken to the woodshed in the same night. Arizona's beat down reminded me of UNLV running roughshod over the Dukies back in '90 (103-73) and Derrick Williams. . .wow, Derrick Williams, where did he vault himself in the draft after tonight?

As for the Wisky-Butler game, it got tighter than it should have, when I flipped over it was a typical Wisconsin paint-drying seminar but came back to make it interesting, nonetheless they lost in probably their best chance to advance to a Final Four-time is ticking on Badger Bo reaching that milestone.

This night almost makes up for the disappointment of the Gophers season ;)

Agreed. It was fun to watch those two teams lose.

I wish I could add something to this conversation but yeah, it was awesome. I watched it with a Dukie while texting my buddy from Wisco to quote Field of Dreams: "is this heaven?"

I'm usually not one to revel in other's misfortunes, but it is a rare treat when you get to see the two teams you despise the most get taken to the woodshed in the same night. Arizona's beat down reminded me of UNLV running roughshod over the Dukies back in '90 (103-73) and Derrick Williams. . .wow, Derrick Williams, where did he vault himself in the draft after tonight?

As for the Wisky-Butler game, it got tighter than it should have, when I flipped over it was a typical Wisconsin paint-drying seminar but came back to make it interesting, nonetheless they lost in probably their best chance to advance to a Final Four-time is ticking on Badger Bo reaching that milestone.

Although I enjoyed watching both of those insufferable fan bases suffer, it does not even come close to making up for a truly crumby year, and I am someone who still thinks Tubby can do the job. But this year was a complete disaster.

Could not have said it any better! Arizona's performance in the second half is as dominant of a stretch as I've seen in a long time, considering they did it against a one seed.

Great night!Dickie V was just fawning about Duke a couple of days ago.Love to see Bucky lose.If I was a Wisconsin fan I wouldn't be happy with the broadcast crew.They really stuck it to them.The theme was Wisy didn't play hard for much of the game.Poor Bo Ryan.

I wouldn't go too far with the Arizona love. This same Duke team got routed by St. John's, and you all know how far they got. Arizona nearly lost to both Memphis and Texas. It's going to be close between UConn and Zona in the E8, but I don't think you should believe Arizona is all-of-a-sudden a dominant team just because of what they did vs. Duke - what they did vs. Duke wasn't really even a full game. They dominated one half of one game against Duke - in fact, they were trailing by 6 at half - so I don't think a comparison to the dominant UNLV teams of the early '90s is warranted.

You have to keep in mind that this same Duke team gave up multiple follow slams to the likes of Victor Davila of Virginia Tech, so it isn't a total surprise that Williams and Hill could do the same.

March is loaded with hyperbole. I am not seeing nearly as much adulation for Arizona as I am glee at Puke's defeat, which is where I am. The fact that I have the Cats in my draft pool contributes to my being pleased as well. It does prove that if you have a superstar he can carry you. Williams is special.

I am sad for the State of Wisconsin. But I am exuberant for the people who live in Wisconsin. Ya see, I love the State of Wisconsin, but I despise the people who live in Wisconsin.

Nice support Becky. You pride yourself on having great fans. The arena was empty. You are a joke.

Nice support Becky. You pride yourself on having great fans. The arena was empty. You are a joke.

Coming from a fan of a school that cant even sell out a football stadium half as large as Camp Randall...

Also, the arena could have been empty for a few completely rational reasons had you taken the time to think before you posted this...
A) the game was being played in New Orleans, just a bit of a hike from Madison
B) the tickets are distributed between the four schools that were participating in the regional semifinals (BYU, Florida, Butler, Wisconsin)
C) being the later game, fans of the teams from the first game more than likely left after their game

so I guess if not being able to sell out a neutral arena half a continent away while sharing the ticket allotments with 3 other schools makes us a joke than so be it...the arena the Gophers were playing in that night was completely empty...bummer

GoFor2, Welcome to our board. We welcome Trolls like you here, glad you could join us. :horse:

OSU Fan, who claimed that Arizona was dominant or compared them to the early '90s UNLV squads? In my comment, which I'm guessing you're referring to, I stated that Arizona's domination that night reminded me of the UNLV-Duke championship game from '90-I don't know where you got the second coming of the Runnin' Rebels out of that sentence. And for the record, I wasn't the only person out there to bring up that point. From cbssportsline's Dennis Dodd:
There have been worse beatings over the years, but in the end it had that April 6, 1990 feel about it. You remember that one -- UNLV 103, Duke 73 in the national championship game.

OSU Fan, who claimed that Arizona was dominant or compared them to the early '90s UNLV squads? In my comment, which I'm guessing you're referring to, I stated that Arizona's domination that night reminded me of the UNLV-Duke championship game from '90-I don't know where you got the second coming of the Runnin' Rebels out of that sentence. And for the record, I wasn't the only person out there to bring up that point. From cbssportsline's Dennis Dodd:
There have been worse beatings over the years, but in the end it had that April 6, 1990 feel about it. You remember that one -- UNLV 103, Duke 73 in the national championship game.

If you wanted to pick a Duke loss to compare this one to, the 77-54 beatdown by Villanova in 2009 would have been much more appropriate given the relative talent on the teams and the stakes of the game (both S16 matchups). There aren't any teams out there as good as UNLV, that was one of the most dominant teams in history, and there was no shame in losing to them by a lot because they blew everyone out. Choosing that game instead of the Villanova rout (a far more recent and relevant example) is odd. Arizona is much more similar to Villanova '09 than UNLV '90.

GoFor2, Welcome to our board. We welcome Trolls like you here, glad you could join us. :horse:

Thanks! Im always more than happy to correct ill-thought-out posts like the one I corrected. Im ok with some good ribbing between the two schools, but to call out UW's fanbase for not selling out a game, considering UM's fan support (or lack thereof) is humorous to me

I find it odd that someone would be informing me of what my memories should be and what I should compare them to as I'm watching a game; maybe it was because it was the National Title game or perhaps because I loved watching the Runnin' Rebels back in the day, but that's where my mind went on Thursday night. I also don't recall Villanova dunking and playing above the rim like Derrick Williams and his crew were doing the other night also, which again spurred memories of the old UNLV team.

I also find it odd that you're on the board handing out history lessons while also claiming Kentucky could be the best #4 seed of all time. Even if they do win the national championship, they're not beating three #1 seeds along the way-just one, that being your Buckeyes.

OK, remember things however you want and I'll remember them how I want. I think it was a lot more due to poor defense/lack of boxing out from Duke than great offense from Arizona.

UK might not beat three #1 seeds, but they can only play who's put in front of them - why hold that against them? If they win the NC, they will be one of only a two #4 seeds to do that in the modern era. If you don't think it's fair to say they are possibly the best #4 seed ever, that's your opinion.

Top Bottom