Whalen's Smile

polli

Reaction score
I’ve known of Lindsay Whalen since 2002. I have seen her face in real life and I have seen images of her in the newspaper, on my TV screen, and on my PC monitor. I’ve seen pages listing her many accomplishments – she has an unrivaled career in her chosen sport. Yet, even in her moments of supreme success, I don’t recall seeing a big smile. The photo of her with McCarville back in 2004 is an example of her response to personal success – a quiet, calm look of a job well done -- success.

Until Saturday night. That interview after the Penn State game was different. What a smile! One I’ve never seen before. That video is very precious.

I hope the players have seen it. I hope there’s a copy of her smiling face on every locker. I hope the team will see to it that there are many more like it.

Lindsay is from Minnesota and is spiritually if not physically related to Bud Grant. Calm is what we do. Rejoicing and being pleased is rare but awesome and provides great memories. 1987 comes to mind for me as one of those rare moments.

Top Bottom