We're Relevant

nevisgopher

Reaction score
I've been a gopher football follower for 50+ years. This win makes us relevant again...and that's significant. It's enough to put a smile on my face and look forward to the rest of the season.

If we can beat Indiana & Penn State we'll be relevant again. Today's win is nothing short of great but I hope the team will focus on Indiana cuz that could be a trap game for us...

Yes win the next two and be 4-2 in B10 and 8-2 overall would get people talking.

If we can beat Indiana & Penn State we'll be relevant again. Today's win is nothing short of great but I hope the team will focus on Indiana cuz that could be a trap game for us...

We've won what 2 out of the last 14 or 16 trips to Indiana? It would seem to be pretty hard to look past a team that's beaten you so many times on the road.

We've won what 2 out of the last 14 or 16 trips to Indiana? It would seem to be pretty hard to look past a team that's beaten you so many times on the road.

I'm saying though... today required a lot of emotion, just hoping they carry that into next week instead of allowing a letdown cuz it happens, that's just college football sometimes. The Gophers should feel very confident going into next week as we've just won 2 in a row we weren't supposed to win while Indiana is on the rebound from Michigan. I remember back in I think 2004 we destroyed Illinois 45-0 & the atmosphere was great & people thought we would steamroll Indiana & we ended up losing... it happens. I'm confident we CAN beat Indiana... but emotions are important in sports just look at Northwestern...

Believe me...after 50 years caution is engrained. Just nice to see the respect the program will gain with this win. Makes watching the college football shows a little more enjoyable. Go Gophers.

I don't understand people's obsession with game day, though I've never really watched it other than clips. From what I gather its a bunch of idiots holding up signs and fatheads.

I don't understand people's obsession with game day, though I've never really watched it other than clips. From what I gather its a bunch of idiots holding up signs and fatheads.

Getting the most popular, nationally broadcast college football pre game show hosted on the front steps if your stadium is a little bit more of a bigger deal than "a bunch of idiots holding up signs and fatheads."

For sure, Game Day would be cool and a boost to the program. Honestly, at this time in our program I just want us to be at the point where a Big Ten school comes to TCF and knows they'll need to play their best to beat us. I'd be happy to turn on the radio on a Saturday afternoon knowing we have a legitimate chance to win and enjoy the ride. We're dang close!

The fact that it is popular says a lot about where we are as a society if the bits and pieces I've seen are any indication of the show as a whole. All I've seen is one guy putting on headgear for the team he thinks is gonna win, and a bunch of losers standing behind them for hours holding up really stupid signs. Maybe it's just not for me.

After 16 straight losses over 50 years.....we broke a huge streak today. I don't put a lot into these kinds of stats. Player personnel and coaching staffs change over time. Neither of those were around the last time we played Indiana.

For sure, Game Day would be cool and a boost to the program. Honestly, at this time in our program I just want us to be at the point where a Big Ten school comes to TCF and knows they'll need to play their best to beat us. I'd be happy to turn on the radio on a Saturday afternoon knowing we have a legitimate chance to win and enjoy the ride. We're dang close!

I'm just watching as many halftime shows as possible to see the replays and hear the announcers laud our victory. I'm gonna spend a little more time with my boys, and then maybe break out the Balvenie Doublewood. Yes, I have Doublewood.

The fact that it is popular says a lot about where we are as a society if the bits and pieces I've seen are any indication of the show as a whole. All I've seen is one guy putting on headgear for the team he thinks is gonna win, and a bunch of losers standing behind them for hours holding up really stupid signs. Maybe it's just not for me.

For sure, it speaks to the society at large. However, if you make the program as a BCS school, you are relevant, you do get exposure, and it can only help in recruiting. So while the pragmatic side of me wants to disregard its relevancy, it is relevant and important.

I'm not going to look through Rose Bowl colored glasses. I'm prepared for the long and steady. If we can can gradually make our way to national relevance with wins like this and those I'm hoping will follow, sorry....dare I say, like a Wisconsin program, I'm all in. After the win today, I'm more optimistic that we have the staff to accomplish that goal. Not only that, but with all the MN kids on our roster, it has to give us hope.

Great win for the Gophers who played really well. That being said more wins need to come before we can claim anything. Lets get win 7 next week over Indiana then stop Penn State. All teams get an upset from time to time good programs get upsets and follow them up with more wins. We are going bowling which means more needed practice.

I've noticed over the years that some teams just seem to play better against some opponents. Also, some venues produce anomalous results. I'm concerned about Indiana's ability to score. This might be a game we need to catch passes that would net big plays. Hope Limgrover keeps pounding the ball and shortens the game...

I'm saying though... today required a lot of emotion, just hoping they carry that into next week instead of allowing a letdown cuz it happens, that's just college football sometimes. The Gophers should feel very confident going into next week as we've just won 2 in a row we weren't supposed to win while Indiana is on the rebound from Michigan. I remember back in I think 2004 we destroyed Illinois 45-0 & the atmosphere was great & people thought we would steamroll Indiana & we ended up losing... it happens. I'm confident we CAN beat Indiana... but emotions are important in sports just look at Northwestern...

The one I still can't wrap my head around was 2000, when we won at Ohio State. The sky seemed like the limit. Later that afternoon, Indiana lost to Michigan something like 63-0. We had Indiana the next week, and it was inconceivable that we wouldn't handle them easily. Well, the Gophs went to Bloomington, and the Hoosiers hung 51 on us. I still think about that from time to time. Guarding against the letdown is still one of the most universal constants in sports.

The one I still can't wrap my head around was 2000, when we won at Ohio State. The sky seemed like the limit. Later that afternoon, Indiana lost to Michigan something like 63-0. We had Indiana the next week, and it was inconceivable that we wouldn't handle them easily. Well, the Gophs went to Bloomington, and the Hoosiers hung 51 on us. I still think about that from time to time. Guarding against the letdown is still one of the most universal constants in sports.

There were a lot of headscratchers under the Mason Era but this was definitely the first & should've been a sign of things to come...

I always thought Glen Mason & John L. Smith were the same exact coach with different philosophies with teams that could've been great but never lived up to their expectations. MSU & Minn had plenty of Seasons starting 4-0 & 5-0 ranked that ended in disaster. MSU was the only team I remember having just as many heartbreaking losses under 1 coach as we did. I still think about how horrible that Notre Dame game ended... that was their Michigan '03...

Top Bottom