Welcome Jerry Kill

WHB Brewer

Reaction score
With all the negative posts, I want to be one to post a positive welcome message to our new coach.

I am happy to see that we got a coach with a winning background, who has worked his way up over the years. This demonstrates to me a track record of success. This is definitely a step in a new direction for the UMN football program.

To all the folks claiming the sky is falling, go ahead and cancel your season tickets. i'll be happy to move closer. We will see you all again soon when the Gopher program is beating Iowa & Wisconsin regularly and returns to a competitive level in the Big 10.

Go Gophers!

Welcome Coach Kill! Looking forward to some hard-fought wins! :clap:

Welcome Coach Kill

Thanks for starting this post. I for one thought of Kill as soon as we fired Brewster. I was at the NIU game. They outplayed us badly. He outcoached us with less talent. He has earned this job. Welcome Coach Kill and good luck.

Welcome, Coach! Not your biggest fan, but because you are the current leader of my favorite football program, I'll support you 100%.

I agree, as long as they play hard they should win some games and that is a start for this program.

Get me the damned AXE! Then slice Becky's head off!

Welcome Coach Kill

With all the negative posts, I want to be one to post a positive welcome message to our new coach.

I am happy to see that we got a coach with a winning background, who has worked his way up over the years. This demonstrates to me a track record of success. This is definitely a step in a new direction for the UMN football program.

To all the folks claiming the sky is falling, go ahead and cancel your season tickets. i'll be happy to move closer. We will see you all again soon when the Gopher program is beating Iowa & Wisconsin regularly and returns to a competitive level in the Big 10.

Go Gophers!

Thanks for starting this thread. I welcome him to Minnesota and I will be proud to have him as our coach. NIU really outplayed us and dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball -- I thought. That was the 1st I had ever heard of him. After googling him and his programs, I have come to respect him and his accomplishments. Its nice to have a quality coach who really wants to be here.

Get me the damned AXE! Then slice Becky's head off!

This is a good point. How well does he do with rivalry games? Coaching up (or focusing) players to the appropriate emotional place is an important skill --- especially at a place with as many fierce rivalries that we have.

Does NIU have any particularly heated rivalries? And how well did he do in those games?

You are not the instantly recognizable name I was expecting Jerry buy I am behind you 100% (in spite of your boss).

I was disappointed when I first read about the hire, but looking at it now, I think he'll be fine.
Keep in mind, sad as this may be, but he's leaving a BETTER team, to come here and coach the Gophers.
I think he's a good coach. Not flashy, but a good football coach. Much as I wanted Leach (and knew it would never happen), Kill is a solid hire. I'd rather have him than Edsall or Shannon.

One thing that morons on this board are overlooking, is that no one in Illinois cares about NIU unless you're an alum or out in the country by Dekalb. Their lack of support is rediculous. NIU really doesn't have a true rival. They're like a Mankato in Minnesota, the Illini rejects.

On a positive note, Kill did beat Sue!!!!http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=302542459

Ridiculous

No, it isn't.

The Big East, despite the BCS AQ (which isn't deserved IMO) isn't really much of a step up from the MAC. I think Kill is pretty much equal to Edsall in that regard.

Shannon has literally never coached outside of Miami, FL, and he was mediocre with the 'Canes.

Good coaches make their way up the ranks, starting small, and moving up. Kill has done just that, and he's been successful. He could be a bust (like Wacker, who had a similar small school record - did you know that Texas state named their football field for him) or he could be a success, like Tressell. You just never know. I'm optimistic, unlike with Brew, who I knew was a sham from day one.

Edsall doesn't get considered for top jobs for charities sake...I guarantee he was offered and turned it down.

Edsall doesn't get considered for top jobs for charities sake...I guarantee he was offered and turned it down.
This thread is for welcoming Coach Kill, feel free to welcome him or go state your disappointment on the 100 other threads, please.

This thread is for welcoming Coach Kill, feel free to welcome him or go state your disappointment on the 100 other threads, please.

Thanks Tricks, please send Jerry Kill this thread in appreciation

Top Bottom