Welch becoming scoring threat at pg

From the article:
"Freshman Andre Hollins, who had started at the point in the seven previous games, shifted over to the two, making room for Welch up top."

I wish that were the case. But as Tubby mentioned last night on his radio show, Welch has been the shooting guard the last couple of games. Welch played several minutes at the point in the OldSpice but not since then. When Welch has been in the game since Orlando it has always been with either Andre or Maverick bringing the ball up the court and playing the point. Occasionally Welch in the 3 guard offense would be at the point but only with Dre and/or Mav as the primary point.

Sorry - I tend to be a lil obsessed about watching point guard play. And I think Welch should be starting there with Andre at the 2. If Andre does not play tonight I expect Tubby will start Mav at the point. But at least Welch will see some time at the point as back up to Maverick at the point.

Don't you just hate it when somebody gets something wrong on the internets? ;)

From the article:
"Freshman Andre Hollins, who had started at the point in the seven previous games, shifted over to the two, making room for Welch up top."

I wish that were the case. But as Tubby mentioned last night on his radio show, Welch has been the shooting guard the last couple of games. Welch played several minutes at the point in the OldSpice but not since then. When Welch has been in the game since Orlando it has always been with either Andre or Maverick bringing the ball up the court and playing the point. Occasionally Welch in the 3 guard offense would be at the point but only with Dre and/or Mav as the primary point.

Sorry - I tend to be a lil obsessed about watching point guard play. And I think Welch should be starting there with Andre at the 2. If Andre does not play tonight I expect Tubby will start Mav at the point. But at least Welch will see some time at the point as back up to Maverick at the point.

Don't you just hate it when somebody gets something wrong on the internets? ;)

You are right RR-Andre has been at point and Welch at the 2, no doubt. Hope you are wrong on the starting line up. While that would appear to be the Tubby tendency, the Strib claimed that Armelin might start alongside Welch. That would be fun to see for extended minutes IMO.

This has been interesting to watch. I hate that Mbakwe got hurt. However, it forced Tubby to move several guys into positions they are more comfortable in. Rodney to the 4. Hollins to the 3. And Welch and Andre in the lineup together giving us better movement, ballhandling and perimeter shooting. It sure makes me wish that we could have seen Mbakwe stay healthy and playing with the current small lineup. Not sure Tubby would have done it but it would have been fun.

In addition to this article from Sandell, Marcus had an entire article today based on the fact that Julian played point guard in the last game.

Do these guys attend the games? Do they watch?

Julian did not play point guard in either the VT or USC games.

You are right RR-Andre has been at point and Welch at the 2, no doubt. Hope you are wrong on the starting line up. While that would appear to be the Tubby tendency, the Strib claimed that Armelin might start alongside Welch. That would be fun to see for extended minutes IMO.

This has been interesting to watch. I hate that Mbakwe got hurt. However, it forced Tubby to move several guys into positions they are more comfortable in. Rodney to the 4. Hollins to the 3. And Welch and Andre in the lineup together giving us better movement, ballhandling and perimeter shooting. It sure makes me wish that we could have seen Mbakwe stay healthy and playing with the current small lineup. Not sure Tubby would have done it but it would have been fun.

With this three guard offense, the only set responsibility of the point guard seemed to be bringing the ball up the court. As long as both of them are on the floor, I think that is key. The extra shooter on the floor really opens things up. I'm excited to get Ralph back in this lineup also with his mid-range jumper to open things up further. EE and RSIII have nice, contrasting skill sets.

interchangeable parts in a 3 guard offense, no true point guard, etc which is fine by me. The more ball handlers that can also score, the better.

Welch is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. He will be HUGE this year to how well the Gophers end up faring in BT play.

> Really good shooter, from both 3 and the pull-up mid-range jumper
> Deadly from the FT line
> Good ball-handler

Even the mistakes he's making generally seem to be mistakes where he's still learning what he can and can't do at this level. They've been mistakes that I doubt he'll be making when BT play rolls around.

Hopefully he has a positive influence, "veteran" influence, on the development of Andre Hollins in the backcourt. Great situation for both of them it looks like.

Agree. Like a lot of folks, I am liking the new look but, man, if only. But for all of the talk about better ball movement, better shooting, players more comfortable, etc. we haven't broken 60 in the two games since Trevor got hurt. That obviously has to improve and I think it will. Still going to miss Trevor's defense and rebounding when we get into conference play big time although Elliot is an option very few of us thought we had when we first saw him. Also, not enough of a basketball wonk to know how it affects things statistically, but Trevor got fouled an awful lot. That is also going to be hard to replace with getting into the bonus and getting opponents into foul trouble.

Who cares about not breaking 60? That has more to do with the excruciating slow pace of the last two games, 54 and 55 possessions specifically compared to the previous season low of 63 possesions against Mt. St. Mary's. The Gophers averaged 1.075 points per possesion against Virginia Tech which was better than any of the first three games when they scored 70, 71, and 67 points respectively. USC was a season low with .995 points per possession, but still better than 5 of USC's opponents including Nebraska and San Diego State, and USC only gives up .926 points per possesion anyway.

I want to see an improvement in turnovers and the ability to get to the free throw line over the next 4 games. Those will be huge in Big 10 play.

Who cares about not breaking 60? That has more to do with the excruciating slow pace of the last two games, 54 and 55 possessions specifically compared to the previous season low of 63 possesions against Mt. St. Mary's. The Gophers averaged 1.075 points per possesion against Virginia Tech which was better than any of the first three games when they scored 70, 71, and 67 points respectively. USC was a season low with .995 points per possession, but still better than 5 of USC's opponents including Nebraska and San Diego State, and USC only gives up .926 points per possesion anyway.

Okay, you calmed one of my fears. Down the line let me know about losing the fouls Trevor drew.

Umm, there is no replacing that. He drew 7.8 fouls/40 minutes, good for 18th in the country

I'm impressed with Welch's ability to score, I think he proved that his early season woes were due to the ankle injury. He has a good shooting stroke, and he is very quick off of the dribble.

However, I am concerned about all three of our point guards ability to take care of the ball. The turnovers they are committing are careless, and each of them is turning the ball over at the same rate (TO's/minutes played).

If they don't make an improvement over the next four games they will really struggle in B1G play.

GopherHoopsFan

Top Bottom