Weight room and conditioning

husker70

Reaction score
Watching and rewatching what I think was the final Gopher Football with Jerry Kill show, Coach Kill responded to a question about what now for the players? Academics and getting better in the weight room. He went on to say they are drafting 8 teams in the weight room and the teams will compete. Where can I get a list of these teams, the standings, and outstanding effort? This and the National signing day is all there is till Spring Ball and its going on right now. There was no break, and we will get after it, no its on. Come on, someone stick your nose in get a comment or 6 and write a story.

Might be worth an email to someone on the coaching staff, maybe Klein or one of his assistants, no reason this couldn't be a part of the gopher football website, I don't think it puts anyone at a competitive disadvantage come gametime next fall.
I know you are always interested in this stuff, give them a message, see if you can get it posted somewhere.

Watching and rewatching what I think was the final Gopher Football with Jerry Kill show, Coach Kill responded to a question about what now for the players? Academics and getting better in the weight room. He went on to say they are drafting 8 teams in the weight room and the teams will compete. Where can I get a list of these teams, the standings, and outstanding effort? This and the National signing day is all there is till Spring Ball and its going on right now. There was no break, and we will get after it, no its on. Come on, someone stick your nose in get a comment or 6 and write a story.

I posted about this over a year ago when Brew had been fired and Kill's name came up as a candidate. I think it was a Sept. 2010 issue of S.I., in which there was a Liberty Mutual add that was an interview of Coach Kill (he is a previous recipient of the LM Coach of the Year award). In it, he talked about things they do within their program that contribute to success, one of which was this very thing - the drafting of teams (from within the team) that compete against each other, but it is not just in the weight room. The weight room is actually just one piece; they also compete against each other in academics (GPAs), community service activities, and I can't remember what else.

I thought it was really interesting, and was one of the first moments when I thought, "Hmm, if Brew loses to South Dakota..."

Also, I'd be SHOCKED if they will share any of this info (teams, standings, etc.) with anyone outside the program. Personally, I think that is their business, not ours.

Also, I'd be SHOCKED if they will share any of this info (teams, standings, etc.) with anyone outside the program. Personally, I think that is their business, not ours.
Agreed. I hate this time of year too, but it's not something the need to share. Would be really cool to see a webisode about the concept but the nitty gritty details (exact "rosters", standings, etc) can remain with the team at least until its all over.

I posted about this over a year ago when Brew had been fired and Kill's name came up as a candidate. I think it was a Sept. 2010 issue of S.I., in which there was a Liberty Mutual add that was an interview of Coach Kill (he is a previous recipient of the LM Coach of the Year award). In it, he talked about things they do within their program that contribute to success, one of which was this very thing - the drafting of teams (from within the team) that compete against each other, but it is not just in the weight room. The weight room is actually just one piece; they also compete against each other in academics (GPAs), community service activities, and I can't remember what else.

I thought it was really interesting, and was one of the first moments when I thought, "Hmm, if Brew loses to South Dakota..."

I saw a similar segment on BTN with Northwestern doing the same type program. I thought it was really cool.

Reliable information that I received from with the AD told me that this would likely be NCAA violation of sorts. However, gophersports.com may do a story on the program later on if it is OK with all the regs and the staff.

In the meantime, the guys will be hitting it hard getting ready for next season.

Top Bottom