BleedGopher

Reaction score
Yahoo Sports first out of the gate:

7. Minnesota

Last Week​

Lost at Illinois, 26-14

Previous weekChange
5-2
What a difference a matter of two weeks makes. The Golden Gophers looked like the team to beat in the West division after starting the season 4-0, but now, two losses later and Minnesota is looking for answers. Suddenly, the offense is struggling to score points and injuries have begun to make an impact on depth and production. Opportunity still knocks in the wide-open West, but things need to change in a hurry.

Next Up​

at Penn State

Go Gophers!!

Seems about right
1) Ohio state
2) Michigan
3) Purdue
4) Illinois
5) penn state
6) Minnesota
7) Maryland
8-14 who cares (and probably who cares after 5 if you aren’t a Maryland or gopher fan)

7 seems high.

It does seem a bit high but the teams behind us didn't win with the exception of Michigan State whose overall record prevents them from being moved higher. Keeping Penn State at #3 after their pounding by Michigan does seem unwarranted. Illinois should have that spot.

Wolverines Wire also has us at #7 but that power ranking did place Illinois at #3.

7 seems high.
The rating isn’t graded on a standardized scale: it is a comparison against the following hot garbage:
4-2 Maryland
3-4 Indiana
3-3 Rutgers
3-3 Iowa
3-4 Michigan state
3-4 Nebraska
3-4 wisconsin
1-5 northwestern

Of the list the only two I would be willing to get money on getting to 6 wins are Maryland and Minnesota (though I’m sure 2-4 others will too)

The rating isn’t graded on a standardized scale: it is a comparison against the following hot garbage:
4-2 Maryland
3-4 Indiana
3-3 Rutgers
3-3 Iowa
3-4 Michigan state
3-4 Nebraska
3-4 wisconsin
1-5 northwestern

Of the list the only two I would be willing to get money on getting to 6 wins are Maryland and Minnesota (though I’m sure 2-4 others will too)
Yikes. The B1G kinda sucks.

Sirius XM chimes in:

7. MINNESOTA

The Golden Gophers dropped a game on the road against Illinois by a score of 26-14.

NEXT: At Penn State on Saturday

Go Gophers!!

Seems about right
1) Ohio state
2) Michigan
3) Purdue
4) Illinois
5) penn state
6) Minnesota
7) Maryland
8-14 who cares (and probably who cares after 5 if you aren’t a Maryland or gopher fan)
I would flip Illinois and Purdue. I think Illinois is the better team of the two.

I would flip Illinois and Purdue. I think Illinois is the better team of the two.

Yes. Barring injuries to key players, Illinois is better. In fact, Illinois might give Michigan a real battle.

I think Purdue ends up winning the division so I think I have to put them on top. They’re pretty close. Hence right next to each other

I think Purdue ends up winning the division so I think I have to put them on top. They’re pretty close. Hence right next to each other
Potentially all comes down to their head to head game. Say Illinois loses to Michigan but wins the rest and Purdue wins all their other games the division winner would come from the winner of that game.

But still a long way to go so at this point anything can happen. Look how many teams have already been the division favorite this year.....seems to change every other week or so.

Potentially all comes down to their head to head game. Say Illinois loses to Michigan but wins the rest and Purdue wins all their other games the division winner would come from the winner of that game.

But still a long way to go so at this point anything can happen. Look how many teams have already been the division favorite this year.....seems to change every other week or so.
Yup. Not sure either team is good enough to run the table.
Purdue could lose to Indiana, wisconsin, Iowa,
Illinois could lose to Nebraska, Michigan state or Michigan

Hell, if the gophers spring the upset this week, wisconsin beats Purdue, and Nebraska beats Illinois on October 29….

I might have the gophers as the favorites again. Because after this week I don’t think the gophers lose a game if healthy. Then again if the gophers lose Morgan for an extended period they could end up 6-6 if the backup isn’t the answer

Yup. Not sure either team is good enough to run the table.
Purdue could lose to Indiana, wisconsin, Iowa,
Illinois could lose to Nebraska, Michigan state or Michigan

Hell, if the gophers spring the upset this week, wisconsin beats Purdue, and Nebraska beats Illinois on October 29….

I might have the gophers as the favorites again. Because after this week I don’t think the gophers lose a game if healthy. Then again if the gophers lose Morgan for an extended period they could end up 6-6 if the backup isn’t the answer
Not sure I see Illinois potentially losing to MSU, think they are a little too sound for that.

Nebraska is the interesting one to watch. They are a mess but they have playmakers and showed what they can do if a team just decides not to blanket Palmer. Their defense isn't going to stop much but if you get into a shootout with them they can be dangerous.

Not sure I see Illinois potentially losing to MSU, think they are a little too sound for that.

Nebraska is the interesting one to watch. They are a mess but they have playmakers and showed what they can do if a team just decides not to blanket Palmer. Their defense isn't going to stop much but if you get into a shootout with them they can be dangerous.
MSU beat Wisconsin. So if you can see Wisconsin beating Purdue you have to think MSU beating Illinois is a possibility

But maybe you don’t

I don’t think Illinois is that good

MSU beat Wisconsin. So if you can see Wisconsin beating Purdue you have to think MSU beating Illinois is a possibility

But maybe you don’t

I don’t think Illinois is that good
I mean anyone can beat anyone in the Big Ten for the most part, if the better team doesn't play well.

I was on the fence about Illinois but was very impressed after seeing what they did to Wisconsin and us. The Iowa game was a bit of an enigma with DeVito getting hurt. If Illinois plays well I don't see MSU beating them.

Biggest difference between Illinois and Purdue is that Illinois has a legitimately strong defense where Purdue doesn't.

In my view Illinois is the favorite to win the West right now but I won't be surprised to see them lose at least one more time and I wouldn't be totally shocked if we got into some multiple teams at 6-3 tiebreaker scenario before it is all said and done.

And I really don't know if there is anyone in the West capable of giving Ohio State a game this year.

I mean anyone can beat anyone in the Big Ten for the most part, if the better team doesn't play well.

I was on the fence about Illinois but was very impressed after seeing what they did to Wisconsin and us. The Iowa game was a bit of an enigma with DeVito getting hurt. If Illinois plays well I don't see MSU beating them.

Biggest difference between Illinois and Purdue is that Illinois has a legitimately strong defense where Purdue doesn't.

In my view Illinois is the favorite to win the West right now but I won't be surprised to see them lose at least one more time and I wouldn't be totally shocked if we got into some multiple teams at 6-3 tiebreaker scenario before it is all said and done.

And I really don't know if there is anyone in the West capable of giving Ohio State a game this year.
Minnesota, Purdue, and Illinois could all give Ohio state a game if you define given them a game by lost by less than 22 points.

Purdue could lose 45-31 type game

Minnesota and Illinois could lose 35-21 type games.

I agree no one can beat them from the west.

Minnesota, Purdue, and Illinois could all give Ohio state a game if you define given them a game by lost by less than 22 points.

Purdue could lose 45-31 type game

Minnesota and Illinois could lose 35-21 type games.

I agree no one can beat them from the west.
After seeing how easy it was for Nebraska to go deep against Purdue I'm not sure they could keep OSU under 60. :)

Top Bottom