Bonagura: Minnesota vs. Arizona State
Schlabach: Iowa vs. UCLA

Guaranteed Rate Bowl
Chase Field (Phoenix)
10:15 p.m. on ESPN and the ESPN App

Bonagura: Maryland vs. Texas
Schlabach: Minnesota vs. West Virginia

Go Gophers!!

Guaranteed Rate Bowl would be a bummer at this point. All the other bowls are perfectly acceptable although I don't think Tennessee should get to play in Nashville. If we play there, I hope the opponent is some other SEC also ran (like MS State or Arkansas).

Win this week and these projections all change drastically again.

Let's take care of business down the stretch and we will be in an awesome bowl!

Maybe not change so "drastically."

Although I think we can beat Iowa, I don't think we can beat Wisconsin. If we finish 2-1, that gives us 8 wins. Purdue has a better chance of winning 8 games with Indiana and Northwestern still on their schedule. Penn State may not win 8 games; they have to go 2-1 like us and they have Michigan and Michigan State left. If all three of those teams win 8 games, I think we come in last in that pecking order for bowls. Purdue should be higher regarded than us because of their two signature wins. Then, the order presumably could be something like:

OSU
Michigan
Michigan State
Wisconsin
Iowa (still has a fair shot of winning 9 games even with a loss to Minnesota)
Purdue or Penn State
Purdue or Penn State
Minnesota
Maryland (if they make it)

Illinois still has a shot but they would have to win their final two games (Iowa and Northwestern).

So, we could end up no better than 8th in the pecking order even if we win 8 games. For us to move up, Iowa and/or Penn State have to lose two of their last three.

Although I think we can beat Iowa, I don't think we can beat Wisconsin. If we finish 2-1, that gives us 8 wins. Purdue has a better chance of winning 8 games with Indiana and Northwestern still on their schedule. Penn State may not win 8 games; they have to go 2-1 like us and they have Michigan and Michigan State left. If all three of those teams win 8 games, I think we come in last in that pecking order for bowls. Purdue should be higher regarded than us because of their two signature wins. Then, the order presumably could be something like:

OSU
Michigan
Michigan State
Wisconsin
Purdue or Penn State
Purdue or Penn State
Minnesota

So, we could end up no better than 8th in the pecking order even if we win 8 games. For us to move up, Iowa and/or Penn State have to lose two of their last three.

We beat Purdue head to head and they don't travel especially well. Also I'd say the chances that Penn State finishes with a better conference record than the Gophers is quite low. They still have Michigan and Michigan St left to play.

We beat Purdue head to head and they don't travel especially well. Also I'd say the chances that Penn State finishes with a better conference record than the Gophers is quite low. They still have Michigan and Michigan St left to play.

I don't know that conference record will be the decider for the bowls and bowls don't have completely free choice anymore. Could be overall record. Yes, I know who Penn State has on their remaining schedule. I wrote that in my post. They do have a fair chance of finishing 7-5 but even then the Gophers would move up only 1 spot. Our fans aren't the greatest travelers either.

Purdue may have lost to us but they gave Iowa and Michigan State their first losses by comfortable margins and are receiving far more votes on both polls (we're not getting any votes in the AP poll after last weekend). Purdue has Ohio State remaining but losing to them won't hurt them much at all. Unless we sweep the final three games, Purdue isn't going to finish behind us in polling (or in quantitative ratings) if they go 2-1 and I don't see how they lose to Indiana or Northwestern.

Very masonesque at least today.

Sigh...
Damn, as much as so many posters on this board are putting down Fleck, his coaches and the players, I’d probably say: very brewsteresque.

Man, some of the posters here are expressing their hate of what I think has the possibility to be a damn fine Big Ten season.

It’s time for the Gopher players, coaches and newly extended head coach to hire a decent lawyer and take some of the hate spewing vigilantes who are trashing our team to court to restrain their out of control personal attacks on those kids and their coach and his staff.

With fans like this, it will be a cake walk and a breath of fresh air for them to play in front of the pagan, unwashed, hostile Iowa people on Saturday. Beat the stinking Hawkeyes, Gopher.

Last edited:

Damn, as much as so many posters on this board are putting down Fleck, his coaches and the players, I’d probably say: very brewsteresque.

Man, some of the posters here are expressing their hate of what I think has the possibility to be a damn fine Big Ten season.

I don't see anyone on this thread trashing Fleck, the other coaches, or the players. As far the possibility of a "damn fine season," I'd say an 8 win regular season is good enough but a bit of a letdown considering 1) the level of returning experience on this team and 2) the fact that the defense has played better than expected. If we sweep the last three, it will turn out to be an almost great regular season but Wisconsin just doesn't look beatable by anyone in the West right now.

Sponsored by?
Sponsored by ANYONE other than the fine, yet somewhat compulsively complaining Society of pseudo-hyper-critical-lynch mobbing members of the know it all armchair, just can’t let it go, wonderfully greater than human being, elitist: “…bench Tanner…”branch of the GH poster family tree.

;0)

I actually think there's a 10-20% chance the Penn State losses their final 3. Rutgers isn't that bad. I don't know what is going on with PSU.

OSU
Michigan
Michigan State
Wisconsin
Purdue or Penn State
Purdue or Penn State
Minnesota

Illinois still has a shot but they would have to win their final two games (Iowa and Northwestern).

Rutgers has a legitimate shot too. All the need to do is beat Indiana and Maryland.

Top Bottom