Week 1 Big Ten Power Rankings

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Wolverines Wire first out of the gate:

15. Minnesota

Record: 0-1

Hi/Lo: 14/15

Biggest win: none

Minnesota actually looked OK, mostly on defense, but threw away a golden opportunity to beat a Power Four team in UNC. There was some questionable decision-making by PJ Fleck late in the game, settling for a long field goal after his kicker had already missed from the same place on the field on the same hashmark. This team is a work in progress.

Go Gophers!!

Saturday Tradition chimes in:

18. Minnesota (0-1)​

Last week: vs. UNC, L 19-17

Minnesota had a Power 4 opponent in UNC, so there’s no shame in being the only B1G team to lose in Week 1. However, the offense is incredibly worrisome, and missing a game-winning kick that could have changed the narrative adds salt in the wound.

Go Gophers!!

Badgers Wire chimes in:

Week 1 Result: 19-17 loss to North Carolina
Previous Rank: No. 11 (Down 5)
Analysis: This was a disastrous start for P.J. Fleck and the Gophers. The team missed a 47-yard field goal as time expired, which was quickly followed by someone in the stadium setting off celebratory fireworks.
The most glaring part of the performance: Transfer quarterback Max Brosmer was unable to elevate Minnesota’s offense. It looked like more of the same after 2023’s 5-7 regular season.

Go Gophers!!

SI chimes in:

16. Minnesota

• Record: 0-1 overall, 0-0 Big Ten
  • Last week: North Carolina 19, Minnesota 17
  • This week: Rhode Island vs. Minnesota
  • Time & TV: Noon ET (TV: Peacock)
  • The skinny: It feels like more of the same at Minnesota, doesn't it? Despite placing an empahsis on offensive improvement, P.J. Fleck's team averaged just 2.4 yards on the ground and threw for just 166 yards in a home loss to North Carolina. The Gophers' defense wasn't flawless, but it played well enough to win. Minnesota is a team that plays a conservative brand of football offensively, but that proved to be a costly mindset Thursday night.

Go Gophers!!

Corn Nation chimes in:

15 - Minnesota

Previous: Loss 17-19 to North Carolina at Home

Movement: Up 1.

Upcoming: Saturday against Rhode Island.

Momentary Musing: For North Carolina I would like to welcome you to the Big Ten by winning by scoring touchdown and four field goals. Minnesota’s six year quarterback transfer from New Hampshire didn’t play great. Quarterback play has held Minnesota back since P.J. Fleck arrived. Last year’s quarterback for Minnesota also played on Thursday but for Rutgers and threw for three touchdowns. Different level of opponents but still could be interesting to watch as I think Rutgers is going to have a good season.

Go Gophers!!

Black Shoe Diaries chimes in:

18. Minnesota​

The only team in the entire conference not to win their season opener, I give you the Minnesota Golden Gophers! While UNC isn’t a bad team by any means, it’s still a tough look being the only team with a loss after 1 week, with the Gophers now being the sole possessors of last place in the conference.

Go Gophers!!

Badger Blitz chimes in:

18. Minnesota Gophers​

WEEK 1 RESULT: Lost to North Carolina, 19-17
PREVIOUS RANK: 12

The Gophers are in sole possession of last place in the Big Ten as the only team to lose in Week 1. They didn't have star tailback Darius Taylor, but transfer quarterback Max Brosmer had a rough showing and the offense was incredibly sloppy. Minnesota is likely better overall than this ranking would suggest, but we play the games for a reason.

Go Gophers!!

Spartans Wire chimes in:

16. Minnesota

The Golden Gophers were the only team from the Big Ten that didn’t pick up a win in the opening week, but there’s no shame in losing to North Carolina. I wasn’t high on Minnesota entering this season and that debut has only soured my opinion of the Golden Gophers more.

Go Gophers!!

"Paging Mark Coyle... paging Mark Coyle... please pick up the white courtesy phone...you have a call from Gopher Nation..."

Egad man setting off fireworks and playing the rouser after sucking all the air out of the season is such a Gophers move. God why does this program suck so hard. Jiminy man that game was garbage.

Saturday Tradition chimes in:

18. Minnesota (0-1)​

Last week: vs. UNC, L 19-17

Minnesota had a Power 4 opponent in UNC, so there’s no shame in being the only B1G team to lose in Week 1. However, the offense is incredibly worrisome, and missing a game-winning kick that could have changed the narrative adds salt in the wound.

Go Gophers!!
I wish Paul Harvey many terrible days.

Bucky's 5th Quarter chimes in:

15. Minnesota (0-1)​

Week 1: 19-17 loss vs. North Carolina

In a game in which both North Carolina quarterbacks didn’t do anything special, Minnesota fell in a disastrous loss. Marcus Major looked solid with 73 rushing yards and a touchdown, but it ultimately came down on the last possession.

Minnesota had the game in their hands, but two missed field goals cost the win at home and some firework miscues. After building hope that transfer quarterback Max Brosmer would improve P.J. Fleck’s offense, Saturday was a misfire (pun intended) for the Golden Gophers.

Go Gophers!!

Noel chimes in with Gophers at 16:

Go Gophers!!

Not surprised to see us near the back in these but not sure we really learned much of anything about most of the teams in the conference during week one because they were playing weak opponents.

Need to see most of these teams against an opponent that is at least close to on par with them to really know if they are any good.

Week 1 games are such a crap shoot it doesn't matter right now. As most acknowledged in these rankings, the Gophers were one of the few to play a P4 team. Many teams looked as bad or worse and still won. I watched the Badgers and thought they were going to have a major upset at home. Northwestern didn't look good. I'm not saying this is a great team, but if it was Rhode Island or Nevada week 1, the Gophers are probably middle of the pack instead of at the bottom.

Top Bottom