Weeding Out Players

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
It amazes me how much coaches come into programs and weed out and make room for "their guys."

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Michigan has only three players left from its 27-man 2010 recruiting class. Only four players from that group finished eligibility at U-M</p>— Nick Baumgardner (@nickbaumgardner) <a href="https://twitter.com/nickbaumgardner/statuses/460816700804317184">April 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

so the four who graduated, plus three redshirts, 7/27. hopefully for the sake of APR a few of those 20 departures at least got their degrees

so the four who graduated, plus three redshirts, 7/27. hopefully for the sake of APR a few of those 20 departures at least got their degrees

APR was designed to punish schools like Idaho and UNLV. I'm sure there is a special exemption for Michigan.

If the players were in good standing when they left, there should be not be an APR problem.

Intriguing. I would be interested in a paragraph update on each of the 27 players. Have they landed at new schools? Was it their choice? Are they progressing towards a degree?
I know Hoke was a new coach at the time. We know that the players were elite status. Not many "take a chance" players end up at Michigan.

Interesting that he did better with Rich Rod's guys than his own.

Interesting that he did better with Rich Rod's guys than his own.

Funny. I really wanted Hoke, but the second we didn't get him I started rooting against him. Not sure why, that just seems to be how it happens.

Funny. I really wanted Hoke, but the second we didn't get him I started rooting against him. Not sure why, that just seems to be how it happens.

My reaction was that we weren't good enough for Hoke, the pompous SOB, so I will root against him everytime.

My reaction was that we weren't good enough for Hoke, the pompous SOB, so I will root against him everytime.

Yeah. That is part of it. FWIW - at the time I was told that the main reason he turned down our offer was that he didn't respect Maturi.

Yeah. That is part of it. FWIW - at the time I was told that the main reason he turned down our offer was that he didn't respect Maturi.

I don't doubt that Hoke didn't respect Maturi, but on the same sense, I think it was pretty obvious RichRod's days were numbered (barring a miracle) and that Hoke would likely at least be a candidate. I'm sorry, but even as a huge Gopher fan and Gopher alum I'd take the Michigan job over MN.

Frankly, if MI didn't happen he still could have had how many other power conference jobs the next year? Jobs like MN for a hot up and coming head coach are a dime a dozen. You don't get MN this year, you get IN, IL, Purdue, or equivalent the next year. I'd like to argue MN is a much better job than those, but I'm not sure from a disinterested party's view they're any different...

Hoke was widely regarded as the "coach most likely" to move up to a premier conference when he was at San Diego State. Part of me wondered if Mona and Maturi hadn't let the cat out of the bag that Hoke's agent would have allowed it to leak. Hoke was a Michigan guy and I think he wanted to force Michigan's hand on Rodriguez given Hoke's strong support among a bunch of Michigan alumni. Meeting with someone other than Michigan may have provided those who wanted Rodriguez out with some ammo.

I think the fact that there was a new President at Minnesota, making the long-term status of Maturi a question mark, probably scared as many candidates as any perception they had of Maturi.

If you look at Minnesota's 2009 class, I believe 7 finished eligibility.
For 2010, the number will be no higher than 10.

Top Bottom