Weber/Decker vs. Williams/Benn

CWCWCW

Reaction score
I was taking a look at Sporting News today and they had an article on best quarterback/receiver combinations. The article had listed both Gophers and Fightin' Illini tandem.
So, the question is which tandem would you rather have on your team? Williams and Benn are incredible athletes, yet so are Weber and Decker. In that area, I'd have to give it to Williams and Benn because they are almost freaky athletes. But, in my biased opinion, I still think I'd take Weber and Decker because I think over the long haul, they would win by the slightest amount. Their efforts have a cumulative effect and can wear other teams down. Williams and Benn would be big strikers, but from what I've seen, sometimes can get lost in a game if their team faces adversity.
It'll be interesting to see what the NFL thinks of this group. Here is my guess:
Benn: Mid 1st rounder
Williams: Mid 4th rounder
Decker: Mid 4th rounder
Weber: (next year) Mid 5th rounder (making him the first Gopher qb picked since Craig Currin in '72!!)

One thing is for sure, I like them all. It's an interesting comparison in that they're all very talented but in different ways. It's really hard to say who's better. Probably the easier question is the draft, but beyond that projecting how they'll do as pros gets difficult again.

This year will be huge for Weber, we'll know more at the end of the year. he'll have targets, another year of ex, and maybe even a little more time behind a better line. He'll also have to deal with some changes that might set him back. I'm guessing at the end weber will emerge as a pretty complete QB at which time I'd pick him and Decker over Juice and Benn. But right now I'd go the other way around.

I think Decker is probably a 2nd-3rd round pick (a lot will depend on his combine time) and I don't think it is a given that Juice Williams or Adam Weber are drafted. There were some very good college QB's (Graham Harrell, Chase Daniel) that were not drafted this year. The move to a pro-style offense for Minnesota should give Weber a much better chance of being drafted. Williams will be labeled by being in the spread which has had a notoriously poor track record of developing QBs for the NFL.

I think Decker could become a Cris Carter-type in the NFL. He doesn't have blazing speed, but is very smart, has decent speed, runs excellent routes, has great hands and always finds a way to get open. I'm not saying Decker will be a HOFer, but I'm saying he could be that type of player.

There were some very good college QB's (Graham Harrell, Chase Daniel) that were not drafted this year.

Yeah, but Juice is big, athletic, and has a cannon for an arm. Someone will draft him on potential.

Chase Daniel didn't get drafted but Dennis Dixon did? Wow.......

Chase Daniel didn't get drafted but Dennis Dixon did?

Not a lot of demand for short, fat, crybaby quaterbacks, with average arms like Chase Daniel in the NFL. He did sign a free agent deal however with the Redskins.

Anyone sayinh Decker is for sure a 2nd round or higher guy is a homer or doesn't pay much attention to the draft. The only way Decker goes higher than 3rd is if this WR class turns out to be weak or he shows more speed than he has in the past. 6'1" guys with mediocre speed don't get picked high unless they're just dominant like Crabtree was. I think Deck will have a very good career and probably will be better than most of the WRs picked before him but he doesn't have 1st or 2nd round measureables

I don't think he is a second rounder for sure but that is very possible. If it means anything Mel Kiper Jr. rates him as the #2 senior WR. I know there are some great underclassmen at the position so he won't be the second one drafted but I wouldn't be surprised if he is an early round pick.
________
Lincoln mkx specifications

Give me Weber and Decker

As far as who I would take I will go with the Minnesota Duo.

As far as the draft goes Chase Daniels was not much of a Pro prospect because he was very short barely 6'0" tall. He also did not have a big time arm. He was a great college QB but his lack of size and arm strength limited his appeal. Graham Harrell also did not have the arm strength to impress the NFL people. He was also not very athletic but the biggest problem was he couldnt make the throws NFL scouts and team need.

I dont think Juice Williams is a lock to be drafted in the top 3 rounds at all. He is more of a thrower than a passer and though he can chuck it deep he doesnt always know where its going. He isnt have the ideal size for an NFL QB especially one that lines up under center. His arm is big enough to get him drafted but I dont think he is a lock at this point for the top 3 rounds. Weber on the other hand has a chance to be a very solid NFL QB IMO. If he has a good season this year and can show he can move the ball around to different targets and show a quicker release he could be taken in the 3rd round maybe even 2nd. Weber has a good quality arm and is a good athlete but one thing we have seen is that he is tough as hell and NFL people love QBs who are tough. If a guy like Kevin Cobb can get taken in the second round by the Eagles a guy like Weber should atleast go in round 3 if he continues to show improvement.

Benn is going to be a top 30 pick though he isnt the tallest WR he is strong and physical and can be used in many different ways. Decker on the other hand in a good possession WR who can flat out go get the football. I think he is a top 4 round pick if he decides to even play football at the NFL level but he will have to run in the upper 4.5's to be a first or second round pick.

Top Bottom