We win that game and I think we get Seantrel....

sonnygarcia

Reaction score
I still think we got a good chance for him, I feel like we showed him we can compete with anybody.

Even though we didn't win today, I still think we made a very good statement. We played well against at top 10 team, our fans were loud and involved throughout the game.

Regardless of the final score, what went on today at the stadium was something to be proud of.

You guys are making WAY too much out of one game. So we beat Cal and Seantrel commits? Why? USC beats Cal all the time. If Seantrel comes here it's because he wants to stay home and be part of the local program, not because of one game against a team that any of his other choices could have beaten (I don't look at Notre Dame as a serious player). We're never going to be at the competitive top 5 level he could choose. It's apples and oranges.

It would have been quite apparent to him that one more good O-lineman would have given Weber a ton of more time. The pressure on weber was key in this game. Hopefully he sees that this is undoubtedly a program on the rise.

You guys are making WAY too much out of one game. So we beat Cal and Seantrel commits? Why? USC beats Cal all the time. If Seantrel comes here it's because he wants to stay home and be part of the local program, not because of one game against a team that any of his other choices could have beaten (I don't look at Notre Dame as a serious player). We're never going to be at the competitive top 5 level he could choose. It's apples and oranges.

What??? What has happened to you GopherProf, thought you had some pretty good insight when you first jump aboard. How would we be making WAY too much out of the significance a win agaisnt that team?? Seantrel wants to see the Gophers are improving and playing well, what better way than a win against a top 10 team. Hes not comparing us against USC in terms of on the field results, clearly, but if we are winning games like Cal and are in a new stadium, in his backyard, then we start to pull ourselves closer.

Henderson is not coming here. Just move on.

You cannot credibly say we will never be a top 5 team...there is absolutely NO reason why this program cannot return to national championship status, now! It takes a series of good things happening, yes. But Iowa has been up there in the past 20 years. Wisconsin has, too. They may have finished #1 and undefeated in '93 had we not served them up their only loss. I do agree that this one game alone would probably not have been the deciding factor in a young man's decision-making process. But if he comes to the U of M, there is no reason we can't win, and win BIG.

What??? What has happened to you GopherProf, thought you had some pretty good insight when you first jump aboard. How would we be making WAY too much out of the significance a win agaisnt that team?? Seantrel wants to see the Gophers are improving and playing well, what better way than a win against a top 10 team. Hes not comparing us against USC in terms of on the field results, clearly, but if we are winning games like Cal and are in a new stadium, in his backyard, then we start to pull ourselves closer.

Just reviewing Sentral's behvior suggests the USC is the only High team on his list, especially given the make up of his visits. The others are medium and MN is only there out of respect.

You cannot credibly say we will never be a top 5 team...there is absolutely NO reason why this program cannot return to national championship status, now! It takes a series of good things happening, yes. But Iowa has been up there in the past 20 years. Wisconsin has, too. They may have finished #1 and undefeated in '93 had we not served them up their only loss. I do agree that this one game alone would probably not have been the deciding factor in a young man's decision-making process. But if he comes to the U of M, there is no reason we can't win, and win BIG.
I should clarify my comments. We're never going to be a top 5 program. That doesn't mean we can't finish a few years in the top 5, we're just never going to be consistantly there. If you still disagree with me, you're wrong. Sorry. There are a ton of reasons why it won't happen. But yeah, we could easily reach the status of the Badgers under Alvarez or Hawkeyes under Ferentz.

Sonnygarcia-

Your first post: "We win the game and I think we get Seantrel."

Your second post: "if we are winning games like Cal and are in a new stadium, in his backyard, then we start to pull ourselves closer."

Your second statement is far more realistic and sensible than the first.

fair. just think that the impact could have been huge. a "game changer" sort of speak, in terms of his recruitment.

GopherProf, thanks for clarifying. We simply disagree here. If Nebraska can be a perennnial top 5 program, which they were for nearly 4 decades straight, then so can Minnesota. Success begets success. We can rebuild it here. Hell, we've won more national titles (6, I believe) than nearly every other program in the nation as it is! The pendulum swings slowly, but it does swing. Are the chances of top 5 good? Nope. But they are improving with every step we take. The stadium was a HUGE step. There will be others. Who knows where it all leads? Seantrel Henderson could be a catalyst for another quantum leap forward, ON the field. Go, Gophers! Rah!

GopherProf, thanks for clarifying. We simply disagree here. If Nebraska can be a perennnial top 5 program, which they were for nearly 4 decades straight, then so can Minnesota. Success begets success. We can rebuild it here. Hell, we've won more national titles (6, I believe) than nearly every other program in the nation as it is! The pendulum swings slowly, but it does swing. Are the chances of top 5 good? Nope. But they are improving with every step we take. The stadium was a HUGE step. There will be others. Who knows where it all leads? Seantrel Henderson could be a catalyst for another quantum leap forward, ON the field. Go, Gophers! Rah!
There are two issues I have with that.

One, Nebraska is a HUGE outlier. Notre Dame would arguably be the other, but Notre Dame is special for a lot of reasons. In almost any other case in the last fifty years, teams that are powerhouse programs are in powerhouse football states. Texas, California, Ohio, Georgia, Michigan, Lousiana. You dominate consistantly by getting the very best kids that live in your back yard. *Oklahoma is arguably the other exception, but there have always been a ton of Sooners fans in the Dallas area.

Two, it's not 1940 anymore. Hell, it's not even 1980 anymore. Look at Nebraska and where they are now. The closest thing to a non-football factory state being a dominant team in the last decade have been Boise State and Utah, and they are nowhere near top 5 programs.

I think Wisconsin and Iowa are great examples as you previously gave. If we can be a top 25 program that occasionally wins a Big Ten and cracks the top 5, we should be thrilled.

There are two issues I have with that.

One, Nebraska is a HUGE outlier. Notre Dame would arguably be the other, but Notre Dame is special for a lot of reasons. In almost any other case in the last fifty years, teams that are powerhouse programs are in powerhouse football states. Texas, California, Ohio, Georgia, Michigan, Lousiana. You dominate consistantly by getting the very best kids that live in your back yard. *Oklahoma is arguably the other exception, but there have always been a ton of Sooners fans in the Dallas area.

Two, it's not 1940 anymore. Hell, it's not even 1980 anymore. Look at Nebraska and where they are now. The closest thing to a non-football factory state being a dominant team in the last decade have been Boise State and Utah, and they are nowhere near top 5 programs.

I think Wisconsin and Iowa are great examples as you previously gave. If we can be a top 25 program that occasionally wins a Big Ten and cracks the top 5, we should be thrilled.

That, along with a great RE saying..."its all about location, location and location!"

1. If Seantrel Henderson makes the decision how where he wants to play he will pick MINNESOTA because: a) he likes the coaching staff, b) his friends are here c) he can start here right away d) you can go to the NFL from any school, the scouts will find you, d)family and friends can watch you play, and e) Tubby Smith will let him play basketball and he likes to do that as much as football.

2. If SH goes elsewhere it will be because: a) His father has convinced him that going to a Football Factory will give him better exposure for his future career.

3. Current top 5 programs: Florida, USC, Texas, Oklahoma and LSU. All Warm weather schools. Florida, Texas, and California have a great number of recruits but also have a great number of teams in the area and beyond pursuing these recruits.

4. Currently the top teams are dominated by Southern Schools but who is to say that trend will continue. I say it won't continue and I am RIGHT.

5 I was also right we I said Michael Floyd was coming here, he just doesn't know it yet.

1. If Seantrel Henderson makes the decision how where he wants to play he will pick MINNESOTA because: a) he likes the coaching staff, b) his friends are here c) he can start here right away d) you can go to the NFL from any school, the scouts will find you, d)family and friends can watch you play, and e) Tubby Smith will let him play basketball and he likes to do that as much as football.

2. If SH goes elsewhere it will be because: a) His father has convinced him that going to a Football Factory will give him better exposure for his future career.

3. Current top 5 programs: Florida, USC, Texas, Oklahoma and LSU. All Warm weather schools. Florida, Texas, and California have a great number of recruits but also have a great number of teams in the area and beyond pursuing these recruits.

4. Currently the top teams are dominated by Southern Schools but who is to say that trend will continue. I say it won't continue and I am RIGHT.

5 I was also right we I said Michael Floyd was coming here, he just doesn't know it yet.

Maybe if the Vikings draft Floyd!:D

Seantral will NEVER come to a team where fans bash their players for every little mistake. if i were him I'd run for the hills.

SH just saw us run for 32 yards and have the qb almost murdered

not sure how he could have been impressed with how the o-line presented itself

move on people. Id love to have him here, but come on...USC, Notre Dame, Ohio State. Granted, the team is improving, atmosphere is where we need it to be, but i dont think the #1 recruit in the country is going to come here.

Seantral will NEVER come to a team where fans bash their players for every little mistake. if i were him I'd run for the hills.

eh heh...well he better not go to any D-1A team with any large fanbase, then, because while there's lots of love to go around for those who succeed, at just about any big school there's criticism for those who don't.

eh heh...well he better not go to any D-1A team with any large fanbase, then, because while there's lots of love to go around for those who succeed, at just about any big school there's criticism for those who don't.

Agreed. Some of the crap here bugs me but I wonder how the USC loss tonight is going down ... might be a few upset people. For a real laugher, read the Kentucky hoops board.

Maybe you should look at the Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Florida State and USC boards the past 2 weeks. Many complaints about their players and coaching decisions. Check out a board like Tennesee and Southern Cal and see what their fans are saying tonight. Every team has idiots for fans who know way more than the coaches and players themselves not just Minnesota. Wait till Iowa loses their first game in the next couple weeks. Go to the Hawkeye board then....

Has Seantral been to USC yet?

You can say all you want about their football tradition...but when I visited their campus when choosing a school (Academics not sports) it was great...until you exited the main gate and got car jacked. USC isn't in a great neighborhood.

Mpls has so much to offer for a student and the U is incredibly nice.

Why can't the kid just choose where he thinks he will have the best college experience....if he does then there are a lot of factors.

I agree with Philly. for a kid like henderson I'd just pick the best college experience.

Top Bottom